R-w discs

vbimport

hi,i have a philips dvdr3480
i have been using -rw asda and other cheap brand discs which work ok,but in the last week or so i have purchased both memorex and verbatim -rw discs.when i insert a disc i get the message FAILED TO INITIALISE.ERASE DISC when i choose to erase disc it takes about 3-5 mins then just ejects the dvd
i have tried these discs on my fathers dvd recorder which is the same model as mine and the same problem occurs i also tried them on my mother in laws dvd recorder also philips but a different model and they worked fine any ideas what the problem could be i now have 20 discs that are no use to me

[QUOTE=fizz26;2517432]hi,i have a philips dvdr3480
i have been using -rw asda and other cheap brand discs which work ok,but in the last week or so i have purchased both memorex and verbatim -rw discs.when i insert a disc i get the message FAILED TO INITIALISE.ERASE DISC when i choose to erase disc it takes about 3-5 mins then just ejects the dvd
i have tried these discs on my fathers dvd recorder which is the same model as mine and the same problem occurs i also tried them on my mother in laws dvd recorder also philips but a different model and they worked fine any ideas what the problem could be i now have 20 discs that are no use to me[/QUOTE]

Without knowing what software you using inconjuction with your media is hard to know what exactly your trying to do?? Memorex has a colorful history in some it works for and some it doesn’t and for Verbatim they should be of good quality media. As anything RW is best for data backup not movie type backup. You probably want to try Verbatim -R or +R and see if that doesn’t change or fix the problem.

Have you tried +RW discs?

Moving your thread to the ’ Philips DVD Recorder and Player Forum’ :slight_smile:

hi,thanks for your reply yes i have tried verbatim + rw same problem it only seems to be the decent quality discs that i get trouble with.funny how my fathers dvd recorder is the same model and we have the same problem