-R or +R?

I’m sure this question has already been asked, but I can’t seem to find the thread. I have been using DVD+R succesfully for all my movie backups. Used TDK 8x +R, but lately switched to Sony 16x +R since they are more reliable and I have some movies that simply would no burn on my TDK 8x discs.

I use an LG burner, sometimes with DVD shrink and Nero Burning ROM, sometimes I use DirectX CopyXpress, if thing get difficult I sometimes use DVD decrypter. I am succesfull with about 75-80% of my copies.

The question is this. My burner supports both, +R and -R.

Can anybody please tell me, if I can burn using -R media without problems?

I am about to buy a new spindle of Sony 16x DVDs which are on sale at Best Buy for 12.99 (good deal IMO)

I’ve heard that -R media are more easily played on most DVD players,while +R media aren’t playable on some older models.

I’d really apreciate some answers on this.
thanks!

You can bitset DVD+R to DVD-ROM.
It depends on the player whether -R or +R is more playable but nowadays with modern players it should not make a great difference anymore.

The only other differences are that -R often has slightly higher PIE rates, the lead-in during burn is faster and have about 5 MB more capacity. All three differences will not be noticeable in real-world usage though.

I’m sure this question has already been asked

1000 times!

I’ve heard that -R media are more easily played on most DVD players,while +R media aren’t playable on some older models.

Correct.

Can anybody please tell me, if I can burn using -R media without problems?

You can :iagree:

Thank you both!
and sorry for such a dumb question

Well, actually…the reason I am asking is because I rese=cently burned 5 DVDs which where copies of copies, I gave these to my friend and he says he can only view one of the copies. He has a 1 year old Sony recordable DVD player and I can’t understand why he can’t see the DVDs. Also, I have DVD copies which I can view on my Panasonic e100s, but I canot view on my Sanyo model (4 years old now).

It’s strange, I wonder how this DVD thing works sometimes.

That’s because most DVD Players are more likely to be able to read -R due to it being the first DVD format to be developed.

The +R is still relatively new when compared to the -R format. Also, some electronics companies have deliberately manufactured their DVD Players so that they could only read one format - either the -R or +R but [I]not[/I] both.

I know what you’re thinking; ‘how inconvenient is that’? I think some of them have gone down this road possibly because they wanted to save money on production costs on the lasers.

Thanks, this makes sense.

Or maybe because they’re strongly tied to one format association.
Some older Panasonic standalones are notoriously infamous for hating +R (no matter the bitset) :bigsmile:

But is this because of lower quality than +R or worse firmware support. :wink:

I don’t think manufacturers consciously disregard -R when doing firmware. After all, in some [arguably important] regions of the world -R still dominates over +R.

I think it’s the general sensitivity of the -R track structure to noise caused by surface, track, and beam imperfections that shows up as additional PI errors that we often see in -R burns. The discrete pre-pit nature of -R is less robust than the phase-modulated, high-frequency wobble of +R.

An exception to this would be TYG02 which often (but not always) performed very well, similar to MCC 004.
But generally, MCC 03RG20 often doesn’t burn as well as MCC 004 does, even if from the same, high quality company (CMC).

Good point. :iagree:

I almost forgot that some companies are either backing the -R or the +R format.

When you think about it, it’s actually quite similar to the situation with all these companies backing either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD (except in this case, it’s just a more scaled-down version of the problem).