+R or -R Media...which to use?

vbimport

My DVD player is not rated for any personal DVD written media of any sort, but I have made a couple of -R DVD’s and they have worked fine. My question is, other then for compatibility reasons, why would someone use the + or - media over the other? Or, is it strictly compatibility reasons for the choice? If both media were to work in my DVD player, which should I choose and why?

Thanks,

BDog

Use the best media you can get for the best price. I have always used + media, but now I have tried TYG02 (Taiyo Yuden -r 8x) and the results are very good, so I ordered them again. I also have TY02 (Taiyo Yuden +r 8x) from the same source, but the quality is slightly worse because of a ‘bad’ batch (relatively speaking, they still burn very well but slightly less than the - discs).
Another thing is, that -r discs have a few MB more capacity. Two times I downloaded an ISO image that did not fit on a +r, but only on a -r. This saved me from having to unpack the image and use a shrink package to discard some extra’s or lower the quality. (It was the reason why I decided to order some -r media in the first place.)

The main reason was bitsetting. It used to be true that DVR+R media could not bitset, but now-a-days practically all drives will bitset both DVD-R and DVD+R media. Bitsetting is essentially changing the “book type” of the disc to “DVD-ROM” which should make the disc compatible with more players.

FYI, there is also a current recent thread on this very topic on the Newbie forum…http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?p=881285#post881285

A few MB???

I’m 99% sure DVD-R discs cannot be bitset.

Is it less? More? I never counted exactly what the difference is.

+r: 4.70 GB (according to manufacturers) 405405696 blocks free
-r: 4.71 GB (according to manufacturers) 412352512 blocks free

-R cannot be bitset…

Some source told me DVD+R standard is 4,700,000,000 bytes while DVD-R is 4,707,000,000 bytes. It seems that the story is a little bit more complicalted and due to the overhead, I never was able to identify the exact capacities.

But yes, my experience supports the claim that DVD-R allows approximately 7MB more data. If your explorer reports 4.37GB, you can certailny burn it with DVD-R, but it is a little bit tougher for DVD+R. 4.36GB is safe for both formats.

Well, it can be bitset, kind of.

The library codes are burned right onto -R media. With +R media, they are burned when the entire disc is burned. Bitsetting the codes on +R media, therefore, means that there is a single code which reads as DVD-ROM.

With -R media, you can burn a second code, and some players will accept it as the valid code. Some won’t, though. Apparently this can increase compatibility, but nowhere nearly as much as with +R media.

I personally prefer +R media. It seems to burn better in most brands (even the cheap stuff!) then comparable -R media or at least that is my findings with media I have used. Plus my players aren’t picky which kind of media they play really (as long as the burn is good!) so I might as well use +R media. :slight_smile:

I’m a + person myself. Qualitywise + is more consistent.

@Hef - I couldn’t of said it better myself. :slight_smile:

It can depend on your burner and firmware.

I find -R to be faster, but only by around 10 to 20 secs.

I tend to buy whichever is the cheaper. :slight_smile:

Ah yes, the classic question. In truth it doesn’t really matter that much. In the past, -R held a debatable edge, as of recent there’s more crap -R media than there is +R. If you know what brand discs you’re getting, this is a non-issue. Capacity: 4483MB for +R vs. 4489 MB for -R - an insignificant difference. If you’re like me and are concerned with data storage, bitsetting is also a non-issue. Use both, or pick one. Doesn’t matter that much.

yeah -R is a bit larger than +R.