R.I.P. Les Paul

as of Noon Thursday 13AUG09 Fox News is reporting that Guitar Legend and Electric guitar innovator Les Paul has died at the age of 94.

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2420821]as of Noon Thursday 13AUG09 Fox News is reporting that Guitar Legend and Electric guitar innovator Les Paul has died at the age of 94.

AD[/QUOTE]:sad: yeah just read about it. RIP Les Paul :frowning:

His legend will live forever, he has touched so many lives with his innovations… His influences have shaped a big part of my life… I am very saddened …

:sad::sad::sad:

We have lost another legend :sad:

A sad sad day to see such a legend pass on into the clearing at the end of the path.

May his memory live on in the lives he’s touched.

[I]in pace requiscat[/I]

Very sad to hear about Les Paul but what a legacy this man leaves behind. He planted a seed in a Billion minds.:clap::bow:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f1/current-music-you-listening-92731/index329.html#post2421125

Not many know this and i didn’t until the radio station had an anniversary a couple years ago but Les Paul had a radio show back in the 1930’s in Springfield,Missouri http://www.ky3.com/news/local/53191612.html

I’m not a guitar player but a listener & without Les Paul who knows when the electric guitar would have been invented.
So onward & upward Les.

[QUOTE=cholla;2421272]I’m not a guitar player but a listener & without Les Paul who knows when the electric guitar would have been invented.
So onward & upward Les.[/QUOTE]

Amen!
Also, multitrack recording…

On YOUTUBE I found a clip with his wife, using a Taperecorder 24 tracks,
(don’t know wich years, guess ?)

dubbing, layering and editing, from Tom Dowd(producer, engineer, arranger by Atlantic Records) I heard on a DVD that he (LES PAUL) had the first Ampex 8 track recorder, and then Atlantic start also multitracking MONO(with same Ampex 1959), then in the years after that when STEREO was coming all they had to do was mixing and editing sync. to remaster a STEREO mother record! (Now looking back…)

Capitol’s recording studios were designed by guitarist and sound expert
Les Paul to minimize noise and vibration, and also piped the recordings through the famous Capitol echo chamber, located underneath the parking lots outside the Capitol Tower.

So indeed he was the pioneer (with help from Ampex & Capitol)

greetings HardwareHarry(NL)

He did a lot of new things nobody had tried before and I guess Steve Miller was a cousin or grand kid and used to hang out in his studio and learned a lot from him as well. There is a very good show about him that PBS showed a few years ago called American Masters/ Les Paul that was very good as well and covered his life very well.

Thanks for the INFO, DARTMAN, but I guess that show never went on DVD?
So a pity for me in the Netherlands to get or watch the show! :wink: (I will keep looking…)

In 1948, Capitol Records released a recording that had begun as an experiment in Paul’s garage, entitled “Lover (When You’re Near Me)”, which featured Paul playing eight different parts on electric guitar, some of them recorded at half-speed, hence “double-fast” when played back at normal speed for the master. (“Brazil”, similarly recorded, was the B-side.) This was the first time that multitracking had been used in a recording. These recordings were made not with magnetic tape, but with acetate disks. Paul would record a track onto a disk, then record himself playing another part with the first. He built the multitrack recording with overlaid tracks, rather than parallel ones as he did later. By the time he had a result he was satisfied with, he had discarded some five hundred recording disks.
He later worked with Ross Snyder in the design of the first eight-track recording deck (built for him by Ampex for his home studio.)
In 1954, Paul continued to develop this technology by commissioning Ampex to build the first eight-track tape recorder, at his expense.
Les Paul Now (1967), on which he updated some of his earlier hits; and, backed by some of Nashville’s celebrated studio musicians, a meld of jazz and country improvisation with fellow guitar virtuoso Chet Atkins, Chester and Lester (1976), for RCA Victor.
Paul was the godfather of rock guitarist Steve Miller of the Steve Miller Band, to whom Paul gave his first guitar lesson. Miller’s father was best man at Paul’s 1949 wedding to Mary Ford.

greetings, HardwareHarry (aka SOULMAN)

(Otis Redding, Booker T. & M.G.s etc… I’m excited with the backing of many Soulsingers, Muscle Shoals Studios/Stax/Atlantic/HI)

They sell dvd’s of just about every show they have ever made so I’m sure it’s available. usually at the end of whatever show they offer to sell you the dvd and give you other info you can look up online. I’ll have to google it and get the exact info so people can buy it if they want, though I’m not sure how they handle international sales.
Heres one page about him and the episode http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/episodes/les-paul/chasing-sound/100/ and heres the DVD for sale http://shop.opb.org/product/show/28062

I wonder what ever happened to Mary Ford.:frowning:

They separated in the early 60’s and after about a year got a divorce, she died later of a diabetic coma.

Steve’s Dad was a good friend as a matter of fact he was best man when Les married Mary:). Steve would watch and hang out at their jam sessions when he was little.

[QUOTE=HardwareHarry;2458934]
Paul was the godfather of rock guitarist Steve Miller of the Steve Miller Band, to whom Paul gave his first guitar lesson. Miller’s father was best man at Paul’s 1949 wedding to Mary Ford.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dartman for the info and the links, I sure will search for the DVD, because I’m curious in technology, but also in electronics, and PIONEERS !

Harry

[QUOTE=Dartman;2458955]They separated in the early 60’s and after about a year got a divorce, she died later of a diabetic coma.[/QUOTE]

Hi Alan, here some info added about Les and Mary:

Paul married Virginia Webb in 1938. They had two children, Gene (Lester Jr.), born in 1941 and named after actor-songwriter Gene Lockhart, and Russell (Rusty), born 1944, before divorcing in 1949.

Later that year, Paul and Mary Ford (born Iris Colleen Summers) were married. They adopted a girl, Colleen, in 1958 and their son Robert (Bobby) was born the following year. They had also lost a child, who was born prematurely and died at four days of age.
Paul resided for many years in Mahwah, New Jersey.
Les Paul and Mary Ford divorced in 1963.

gr. Harry

P.S. DARTMAN, I will let you know when I found the DVD… on that link or Amazon…thanks again.

[QUOTE=HardwareHarry;2459506]

P.S. DARTMAN, I will let you know when I found the DVD… on that link or Amazon…thanks again.[/QUOTE]
Your welcome, I knew about him but when I saw that PBS show it really was a eye opener and he just was able to tell his life story very well.
He had a good run and a lot of people gained good things from him being around inventing things and doing music. I’m pretty sure we had some of his albums when I was a little kid as well but if any are left at this point my mom probably has them.