R.I.P. Iomega - brand name to disappear, products continued

vbimport

R.I.P. Iomega - brand name to disappear, products continued.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2013/01/HRh4zr.gif[/newsimage]The Iomega brand name will be discontinued, click to read more about this decision...

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/r-i-p-iomega-brand-name-to-disappear-products-continued-65693/](http://www.myce.com/news/r-i-p-iomega-brand-name-to-disappear-products-continued-65693/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I may not be a CDFreak, but when I think of IOMega, I remember the first cd burning software I ever used. I would still be using Hotburn, if it supported newer drives. However, Hotburn came out when users were forced to find a way to mix-and-match specific hardware and software combinations, finding a program that was designed with their particular burner in mind. Hotburn was not meant to work with any just any ol’ drive, as newer programs do, only the ones the devs could program it to use.

Goodbye, IOMega, I will remember you much longer than anyone should. :flower:

That’s sad to hear as my NAS is an Iomega one.

For anyone that is interested, here’s the English version of that short article linked to in the story above.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Yo-

R.I.P.

*(In retrospect - the produtcs were pretty crappy anyway-eh)

Some of their stuff was pretty good.

That NAS unit was a real bargain and I use it all the time.

Zip drives and Jazz drives had a useful function in their day, it’s just that things moved on so quickly that they became redundant.

[B]Wombler[/B]

It’s (almost) always sad to see the passing of a well-known brand name. I used to use Zip disks all the time (I was one of the lucky ones who never experienced the “click of death”), in both the parallel port and IDE versions of the drives, and also a few Jaz cartridges (though I never really got into those; I only had a handful of them). They served their purpose at the time, but frankly, I don’t miss them. I had long since copied the files off my collection of Zip disks – all of them fit onto a single CD-R with room to spare – and chucked both the disks and drives during one of my Great Home Office Clean-Outs. RIP, Iomega, I’ll always remember the good times.

Yeah I was one of those who did experience the click of death. I got real good at yanking out the Zip disks though. A pair of needlenose pliers would yank those old click o’ death Zip disks right out.

I’m surprised they hung on as long as they have. I remember back in 95 or 96 when there were heavy put calls taken out on Iomega. Wall Street figured they wouldn’t last more than a couple of months. Well they were 1/2 right.

I used to have a Zip drive myself and my brother had an internal one installed in his desktop PC.

TBH it was really handy at the time for transferring large files and neither of us ever suffered the ‘click of death’.

The technology was basically just superseded by bigger better things and I eventually ended up throwing the drive out and giving the discs away.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I still have have my Zip drive and disk’s , don’t use them anymore but still have them.
I was one of the lucky ones also never had any trouble with mine and used it quite often back then.

[QUOTE=bean55;2672965]I still have have my Zip drive and disk’s , don’t use them anymore but still have them.
I was one of the lucky ones also never had any trouble with mine and used it quite often back then.[/QUOTE]

So I’m not the only one then. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

I still have Iomega DVD burner with ‘hotburn’ DVD burner software and still working properly without any crash. will be missed the good old day of the good Iomega times had.