R.A.I.D in winXP clean install

vbimport

I have 2 60gb IBM drives, one is different by .1 gb (a newer model) , I formatted both the drives to start, then I changed the jumper to get the asus a7v266e to activate Raid. I then succeeded in creating a stripe 0 array, functional with *. I then run winxp from cdrom, press f6 and install the promise drivers from the cd... which then still gives the message no hard drives found! - Am i missing something? Do the HD have to be exactly identical to be recognized by windows? Newer drivers? please help , thanks!:rolleyes:

I may be mistaken but even tho you did the jumper you still have a bios settiing to enable, I know my dragon + had to be jumpered and enabled, maybe your does too

I then run winxp from cdrom, press f6 and install the promise drivers from the cd… which then still gives the message no hard drives found!

hi,
both your drives have to be the same rpm if one is newer it might be a faster rpm model eg.first one 5400 rpm other 7200 rpm. You should also just install win xp which has raid drivers and then install the mb raid drivers when xp is installed

also do you have them hooked up to the raid channel on mb or the main ide channel

Both IBM 60GB7200rpm but different model #'s. I have one HD plugged into primary raid as master and other in secondary raid as master. In dos the array works , I’ll try installing windows first without raid then activate raid and see if it works.?..

You need to have the latest drivers from Promise when you are installing XP, otherwise it will not work. Download them and put them on a floppy.

Also, I have used different sizes of drives in the past. The smallest drive determines the size of the array
15 and 10= 20 gig
20 and 10= 20 gig
60 and 10= 20gig etc

post a question at alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus if you need more help. They have always been helpful to me when I need help with Asus products.

ok. i just did a raid 0 myself. did u use a raid card to do your striping? if u did, u might need to turn on the scsi boot mode on your bios. i know it’s like the 4th boot option on a p4t-e. this stumped me for a freaking whole day! hopes it help.

Since you are talking about RAID, could someone here tell me if it’s really quicker to run this setup? I know that the RAID with mirroring most people here probably don’t use, right? Unless you are a backupfreak and run some stuff that you’ll die if you lose…

I’ve never seen it in action but was interested in a RAID setup for myself.

Theroreticly twice as fast, because the RAID controller splits the job equally on the two drives.