Quote and Reply use on MyCE forum

vbimport

Is the Quote and Reply function used too much on the forum?

I am fairly ancient I suppose, but have no problems with short term memory loss. I am quite able to read a thread and remember things from five minutes or so as I go along. I always scroll as I come across quotes. Many members must do the same. The function is useful of course where many people are contributors to a thread. but I find it overdone.

I know nothing of running a web site, especially on a server. I know that small web sites on PC’s have problems with hosting fees and space. Would the more thoughtful use of quote and reply save any running costs on the MyCE site?

You may gather I am a newbie. If this has cropped up before I apologise. I have not yet had time to read all the threads.

All the Best to members

John

I agree. It seems a bit silly for someone to quote a complete post in their reply. However, there are times that quoting a small piece might be helpful for clarification. Or perhaps it’s useful if the thread gets really long. Not sure how it may affect site cost though.

RM

The quoting is useful when answering to someone that posted two or more posts behind, to avoid confusion.

I personally can’t see nothing that bad in this (just my opinion) :slight_smile:

Glad to get agreement from a senior member.

The software for this site is so well written that it is a pleasure to negotiate. It seems to be capable of lots of analysis and providing data. It will have a function which can investigate the space used by “Quotes” I am sure.

It might be worth MyCE’s HQ in Amsterdam looking into this and giving some guidance to members overdoing quotes in replies.

Some of our web server gurus will know if any financial savings are possible I am sure. All companies find savings advisable in these difficult times. The economy sadly looks like it will get worse before it gets better globally. Nice to be retired and out of the rat-race! I am a retired accountant be the way.

John

Since this thread is centered on use of the site, I’m moving it to the Community subforum.

Often a thread has several questions in it, so I’ll pull the pertinent info I’m responding to and use the

tag.

I have not yet had time to read all the threads.

Neither have most of us…

One thing no-one’s mentioned is the use of the quote in situations where the OP has said something which violates forum rules, is abusive to another member etc.

The whole post quote can be handy in case the OP then decides to edit any incriminating evidence from their post, then say - “what, me? I didn’t say anything of the sort!” :wink:

Of course, quotes themselves can be edited…but no-one here would do that…would they? :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually use the quote quite regularly, mainly to show what I’m replying to. For example, if a user asked a question 5 posts up, I would quote that user’s question in my reply to show that I’m responding to this query.

Of course there are also users who don’t know how to quote properly, i.e. they quote the entire last post, especially if they are the first to reply to a thread in which case it’s obvious they are responding to the first post.

In my opinion, the quote buttons are well presented on this forum, i.e. the main “Reply” button stands clearly out. I’ve seen other forums which quote by default, which is a pain as most users don’t delete the unwanted quoted text. This leads to massive posts in long threads where for example, post #2 has post #1 quoted, post #3 has post #2 quoted including the quote from #1 and so on.

One thing that is missing is the ability to link to link to a single-post (see this discussion), as this would eliminate the need to quote an entire post, e.g. just insert a single-post link in your reply and when someone clicks the link to read it, the linked post shows up on its own in a pop-up window.

The ability to refer to a single post is the point I first had in mind and would be great. I perhaps didn’t express it quite so clearly.

Moderator and reviewers must quickly become expert scrollers and have lots of patience. I am surprised that they don’t suffer from RSI. They have my thanks and admiration.

Some must replace their scrolling mouses quite often. Do mouses get mouse fatigue?

John.

[QUOTE=Seán;2566942]

One thing that is missing is the ability to link to link to a single-post (see this discussion), as this would eliminate the need to quote an entire post, e.g. just insert a single-post link in your reply and when someone clicks the link to read it, the linked post shows up on its own in a pop-up window.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, our ongoing quest to bring back the single post link. Maybe Robin and the crew will give us a nice New Year’s present. :bigsmile:

As for mouse fatigue. Would make a good LR thread, that: how many mice have YOU killed this year? :bigsmile:

I’ve seen the “quote-inside-a-quote-inside-a-quote” thing on other forums also - I am so glad that’s not the default here!

I clicked on the see discusssion link. which was most interesting. I didn’t realise that this was such a vexed and complex issue.

I think that mouses is the plural of mouse, in a computer context, but am not sure. Sounds funnier anyway. Perhaps another topic for LR. Perhaps our grammarians would know.

I see I am a Junior now and not a Rookie. A very, very long time since I was referred as a junior!! Such promotion!

John

PS Hope it is OK using my christian name. Michael always does this, and if it’s good enough for him etc etc etc. He was very good with a question I raised when I first joined the club. I go back to when letter writing was taugtht at junior school. and steam was king. Pre email, internet and sms of course by decades. Perhaps another topic for LV. I am open to guidance re this of course.

Sylvester The Cat, star of a popular Warner Brothers cartoon series,quote, " I hate those meeses to pieces".

Do moderators feel the same, on a bad hair day, after a few hours at the screen whilst scrolling?

More seriously, I looked the plural form of computer mouse up in the OED. It says " Mouse ( plural- mice, mouses). A pointing device used on a flat surface etc, etc ". So both are correct according to the OED.

As the tele was rubbish again, I idly googled the query on my netbook. I have quickly learned that nothing is set in stone in the computer world by the way. Result, approx one hundred sites spread over ten Google pages! I opened a likely one at random. Seventy three hits on a forum and still ongoing.

Quickly logged off!!

John

Sylvester The Cat, star of a popular Warner Brothers cartoon series,quote, " I hate those meeses to pieces".

Actually it was Jinks from the Hanna-Barbera studios that uttered that about Pixie and Dixie

Pixie and Dixie and Mr. Jinks is also remembered for Mr. Jinks’ rhyming but ungrammatical lament, “I hate those meeces to pieces!”.

Well spotted!. I was speaking from memory.

Sorry for the mis-quote. I obviously watched too many “cat” cartoons years ago. Your correction brought back many more happy memories. My grandchildren still adore them all They are timeless.

Such things help to keep our forum flowing however and give observant members room to contribute. This is how discussions proceed and remain interesting of course.

John

And also demonstrates the ‘proper’ use of the thingy in the Quick Reply box…Keeping on topic…

“Sufferin’ succotash!” did I use quotes and reply correctly…lol

Brilliant reply. My grandchildren have justed popped in, I mimed “S…S”, and they fell over laughing!!

Nothing wrong with a small diversion in a discussion in my opinion. Everything would be very hidebound otherwise.

Getting back to topic is important of course. Most of us have attended AGM’s!! Just an illustration. Hope not off topic!

John

[QUOTE=johnedlord;2567147]
PS Hope it is OK using my christian name. Michael always does this, and if it’s good enough for him etc etc etc. He was very good with a question I raised when I first joined the club. I go back to when letter writing was taugtht at junior school. and steam was king. Pre email, internet and sms of course by decades. Perhaps another topic for LV. I am open to guidance re this of course.[/QUOTE]

Lots of us are known by our Christian names here, rather than our usernames (myself included!) - it’s entirely up to you, if you’re comfortable with it :slight_smile:

Meeses, yes I vaguely remember that. Definitely sounds better and much funnier than “mice” :iagree:

Apologies for straying even further off-topic. :o

Thank you for this guidance. Makes one feel more at ease.

Newcomers are made very welcome on this club site.

John

Correct me if I´m wrong, but isn´t this thread using up some of our bandwidth???

:doh:

:stuck_out_tongue:

:flower: