Quicktime AAC codec voted best in public hearing test, Nero AAC second best

vbimport

I just posted the article Quicktime AAC codec voted best in public hearing test, Nero AAC second best.

AAC is the one of the terms you will find more
and more on the web lately. The Advance Audio Coding technology is dubbed to be
the follow up of MP3 and is part of the MPEG-4 standard. The…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/6060-Quicktime-AAC-codec-voted-best-in-public-hearing-test-Nero-AAC-second-best.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/6060-Quicktime-AAC-codec-voted-best-in-public-hearing-test-Nero-AAC-second-best.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I hope they are talking about Astrid/Quartex AAC, others AAC sux …

Also, bear in mind that this was a CBR-only test. VBR was not tested, and since this is how most will encode, this test is not too terribly fair.

I don’t think that I can even tell the difference between a 128 bit MP3 and a CD most of the time, and this test is based on the idea that the public could tell the difference between AAC’s at 128?

Hmm - even the best 128 lame encodes are not as good as 192 / 256 lame encodes - thats by the people the produce them and from personal tests of many people. I have followed all the mp3 (fraunhoffer), LQT (AAC for ages), vqt or vhf (whatever is was), etc, and some horrble sounding mp3 128 stereo (half the b/w channel) sound awful but others say they sound great - a 192 / 256 lame 3.9x JS encode is sublime (the JS problem dissappeared with lame builds long ago), and I can hear the difference. Just because some cannot tell the difference does not mean no difference is there to be heard by others. It’s a bit sad that many years on, those that have used AAC in the form of LQT master/general *.aac files now are hearing what appears to be a new breakthrough - not so. But Lame 256 cbr/JS sounds as good as many people will be able to discern.

I don’t think that I can even tell the difference between a 128 bit MP3 and a CD most of the time, and this test is based on the idea that the public could…etc…Dont worry bud–you just need a hearing doctor:d