Quick ultra n00b question (1x on 4x 411S)

Simple question

I have 4x 411s on FSOF

I saw 100 pack of 1x G03 Riteks on sale at Meritline (yes, ive read the merit reviews, but worthy of the chance)

Is the only complaint about the G03’s vs the G04’s is the 1x vs 4x?

If the time it takes to burn is the only hangup, i’d rather spend the $20 less for the same amount :slight_smile:

input, from anybody? :slight_smile:

If you are cheaping out on the media, why did you get a 4x burner in the 1st place? But then again it’s your money, if you can wait for the time it takes to burn a 4.7GB disc @ 1x, while saving $20, by all means go ahead, nobody’s stopping you.

Originally posted by Stoner
If you are cheaping out on the media, why did you get a 4x burner in the 1st place? But then again it’s your money, if you can wait for the time it takes to burn a 4.7GB disc @ 1x, while saving $20, by all means go ahead, nobody’s stopping you.

not really cheaping out on media, being Ritek is so heavily approved on here at least from what i read :rolleyes:

Im just wonderin if the $20 discount was worth it overall is all

tks for the input :wink:

I’d spend the extra 20. Would seem a right waste to me if I spent the extra money for the 4x capable drive, and yet still burning one disc per hour:Z . I jus love hi speeds:iagree: . Besides, we over here love the G04, not really into the G03

i thought g03’s were 2x since that is what they burn in my 411

here is what dvd info pro says about it:

                        Media Information                            

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID RITEKG03
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 411107328
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed 1.0x 1385KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Write Strategy Speed 1.0x 1385KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers

so it will take you 1/2 the time you thought it would to burn :slight_smile:

here are some scans of ritek -r so you can see the results

You know burning at 1x takes a looooooooong time…

G03s will definitely burn at 2x with the latest fw (FS0J)
but as others have already suggested, I would recommend going for the G04s!

@ cnlson

my bad. I didn’t remember that OC Freak posted somewhere that with all the more recent firmwares, no discs at all can be burned at less than 2x, regardless of waiting. Ok, thats half an hour per disc. hmmmm… depends on how much ur really gonna be burning. I’m a burning aficionado and anytime saved, is time well spent. I’d still suggest paying the extra 20 cents per disc for the hi speed, revised and expectedly better quality since its newer. But still, that 20 could buy other stuff which may be more useful. But me, I’m not the best person to ask, as I’m paying more for +r so I can rip it faster, and burn it faster, because the time’s really important to me.

Originally posted by booma
[B]@ cnlson

my bad. I didn’t remember that OC Freak posted somewhere that with all the more recent firmwares, no discs at all can be burned at less than 2x, regardless of waiting. Ok, thats half an hour per disc. hmmmm… depends on how much ur really gonna be burning. I’m a burning aficionado and anytime saved, is time well spent. I’d still suggest paying the extra 20 cents per disc for the hi speed, revised and expectedly better quality since its newer. But still, that 20 could buy other stuff which may be more useful. But me, I’m not the best person to ask, as I’m paying more for +r so I can rip it faster, and burn it faster, because the time’s really important to me. [/B]

I’ve noticed that. Setting for a 1x burn with some Imation (Ritek) disks, it burns at 2x (with DVDDecrypter). Is this a limitation of the 411 to burn at 1x, or does it only select the lowest matching Available Write Descriptor CLV speed?

BTW: What are peoples opinion on the best +R media? I’ve had GREAT success with setting booktype to DVD-ROM and I think I may switch 100% to +R media because of it.

gof,

I did exactly that. I had purchased G04s and LOVED them on the 411S with FS0F. PI/PO about 6.XX/.00XX. However, the DVDs were not read by my Macintosh G4. The Mac G4 would not read the +R media either.

By bitsetting +R to dvd-rom has fixed all my problems. the dvds play in the Mac G4 AGP, the PS2, a panasonic stand alone and an AMW stand alone.

I sold all my G04 media on ebay. I have purchased RICOHJPN +R media. I got some 4x Imation (writes beautifully at 8X too). I got some 2.4x Arita (this is RICOHJPN too) and it writes wonderfully at 4x.

Make the +r switch, you will not be sorry.

@gof

its not quite a ‘limitation’ but kind of an added perk. the lite on engineers pretty much feel they’ve mastered 2x burning and can burn 2x -r on even pieces of plastic, so they disabled 1x since they think everything can handle at least 2.
Yup, I made the +r switch after my more recent hard drive corruption and had to restore stuff from my G04s (luckily after the bitsetting tool came out). the speed to restore was painfully slow. I tested the bundled ricoh +r with the bitsetting tool, and it allowed + media to be read by my rom drive : at full blown speed. on top of that, I have guaranteed compatibility

(actually, I burned one disc out of a stack of 25 which didn’t pick up in my rom drive. The kprobe scan was good, I queried it and got confirmation that it had a -rom booktype, but still, it wouldn’t pick up in my rom drive. All the others worked. any ideas guys?)

@ genericuser

the +r costs more, but its kinda worth it for the peace of mind with compatibility, and speed.

I have gotten great results with G03 media. I’ve been through a couple of spindles of Verbatim DVD-R that give me exceptionally clean Kprobe scans burning at 2X. In fact, I just finished three straight on-the-fly copies from and to those discs using my LTD-163 and 401S@811S.

This is the WORST of the three:


Originally posted by wittangamo
[B]I have gotten great results with G03 media. I’ve been through a couple of spindles of Verbatim DVD-R that give me exceptionally clean Kprobe scans burning at 2X. In fact, I just finished three straight on-the-fly copies from and to those discs using my LTD-163 and 401S@811S.

This is the WORST of the three: [/B]

Nice scans, but I notice the disks are not full (I’ve noticed that with many “nice” scans). Perhaps a test requirement that all posted Kprobe scans claiming good performance should be at least 4.2GB :slight_smile:

I’m not buying that theory, but I’m all for full disclosure.

The three discs copied were all full-length movies of 4.15, 4.5 and 4.6GB.

The worst scan posted above was actually the smallest of the three. The others were in the high 20s for max PI.

I have seen some scans that show big spikes at the end of the write when the disc isn’t full.

I’ll keep an open mind, but I’m not convinced that file size and Kprobe results show a direct relationship. Like everything else about Kprobe, there are too many variables that don’t conform to expectations.

Originally posted by wittangamo
[B]I’m not buying that theory, but I’m all for full disclosure.

The three discs copied were all full-length movies of 4.15, 4.5 and 4.6GB.

The worst scan posted above was actually the smallest of the three. The others were in the high 20s for max PI.

I have seen some scans that show big spikes at the end of the write when the disc isn’t full.

I’ll keep an open mind, but I’m not convinced that file size and Kprobe results show a direct relationship. Like everything else about Kprobe, there are too many variables that don’t conform to expectations. [/B]

I think it is not that much of a “direct relationship” between file size an dKprobe. However, lots of high PI,POs do appear at the end of the disk. My thory is that at the very edge of the disk, the dye might not be distrubuted as evenly. Also, since the spinning speed is the fastest on the outside, together with the fact that any vibration will be also worst on the outside, it make sense to consider that a good test burn should be an almost full disk. Just my 0.02.