Quick RAM question

vbimport

RAM. DDR or DDR2.

Am I correct in saying that whilst 1 stick will work on its own OK that 2 sticks work better even if it’s the same quantity?

Say, 1GB is better as 2x512MB than 1x1GB?

In the intrest of a future upgrade (Vista etc.), it might be better to choose 1x1GB and add another 1GB later. The performance increase when using 2x512MB in “Dual Channel” mode is negligible in everyday use.

Thanks… so it’s negligible then?

Yes, I believe it’s something like 3-4% in benchmarks, so nothing you’d notice off the bat. If you need DDR2, 2GB would be a good choice now (with a possible upgrade to 4GB later).

DDR isnt compatible and the other way around.
As for amount of seated DIMM slots most chipsets or CPUs use Dual Channel but you close to non performance boost by utilizing it. If you’re going to purchase RAM get at least 1Gb sticks and PC6400 (DDR2).
//Danne

[QUOTE=groovemeister;2000013]RAM. DDR or DDR2.

Am I correct in saying that whilst 1 stick will work on its own OK that 2 sticks work better even if it’s the same quantity?

Say, 1GB is better as 2x512MB than 1x1GB?[/QUOTE]

I would go with using 1GB stick…but all in all consult your Owner’s Manual it will tell you what RAM and how to configure it and the motherboard settings and features…

[QUOTE=Cressida;2000037]Yes, I believe it’s something like 3-4% in benchmarks, so nothing you’d notice off the bat. If you need DDR2, 2GB would be a good choice now (with a possible upgrade to 4GB later).[/QUOTE]Oh, I know that DDR & DDR2 aren’t interchangeable - someone’s sending me a mobo to replace a dead one and I don’t know which one it takes yet.

So, it’s definitely not worth paying any extra for the same amount in 2 sticks if it can be got for less, in 1 basically?

There won’t be much of a price difference between 2 sticks vs. 1 of the same amount. 2 sticks might even be cheaper than 1, as the larger sticks are a more desirable investment for the future. A PC’s RAM requirements always keep increasing over time, with new OS’s and more demanding applications. The big price difference is between DDR and DDR2, so you better hope that mobo takes DDR2, which is half the price of the older DDR at the moment.