Quick Question Regarding Burning speeds for NEC ND2510-A

vbimport

I have never owned a DVD burner until my recent purchase of the NEC ND2510-A. So far I have been very happy with it as I have had no problems at all in burning disks.

That said, I do have a few question, specifically regarding media to use, speeds to burn, and the quality of the burns. Please bare with me if you have seen these questions a million times before.

I currently am using Maxell media (Maxell DVD-R 4.7 GB (4X) - 635052) for my DVD burns and have not had a problem. That said, a good friend of mine is telling me to go with Ritek media, as according to him it is the best out there. Fine, not a problem. Well, I understood there might have been some issues with Ritek data at the ND-2510-A. So, I went ahead and upgraded my drives firmware from 2.15 to 2.16 compliments of this site.

Now that I have the updated firmware, what exactly did that do to help with Ritek media? Second, I currently am burning on 4X media at 4X speeds. If I go ahead and buy Ritek media, can I purchase the 8X DVD-R media and have it work with my NEC ND-2510-A? Lastly, if in fact I can purchase the 8X speed Ritek media AND actually burn it at that speed, am I doing so at the peril of decreased quality in the burning process?

Thanks for everyone’s response in advance!

Welcome to the forum!
Made in Japan Maxell media is definitely superior to Ritek.

I don’t believe the 2.16 fw changed the write strategies for RitekG04 at all.

RitekG05 (8X DVD-R) has been pretty good lately and should burn at 8X with pretty good quality.

Yo-

My 2510 burns Ritek G05’s good at a full 8x - (much better than the Prodisc 8x +R’s which gave me errors on movie backups)-

The best media so far has been the Tayio Yuden 8x -R’s - got them for $40 + shipping for 50 pc cakebox at www.rima.com

Happy Burnin’

Mike