Quick question re: compatibility etc

vbimport

First off, I’ve already done a bunch of searches etc, but I haven’t really kept on top of things in this area in a couple years, so I’m just looking for some confirmation or correction. I’ve been burning CDs since they were $7 apiece but with DVD±R/W I just picked up a GSA-4040B when they got cheap, got a stack of G03s and washed my hands of the mess. Glad most of the drive/player/media reliability/compatibility issues seem to have gotten better since then. :slight_smile:

Anyways, I’ve taken on a project as part of a charity fundraiser, which basically entails burning a bunch of copies of a video DVD (ie will mostly be used in various set-top players). I was due for an upgrade anyways, so my question is, can I go wrong with (or do much better than) an LG 4163 and bitset TY02 DVD+Rs for this? Outside of this, my main use for DVDs is as archival/second backup for data, so I don’t really care about anything but write quality using fairly specific media. Thanks!

A LG wouldn’t be a bad choice. Keep the burning speed to 8x for best results.

The benq 1640 may be a better choice for DVD+R though, as it simply kicks everyone else in the guts in terms of quality with quality media.

Why would the BenQ 1640 be a better choice for DVD+R? The LG 4163 produces excellent results on good quality media like Verbatim MCC004 and Yuden000T02. The only thing it lacks is 12x speed for dvd-r media like TYG02 and MCC03RG20.

The benq produces results that are slightly better then the LG in my experence on DVD+R media.

But I am mostly just splitting hairs, as they are both very good drives. The LG is slightly faster, the benq produces slightly better quality. In the end, when using TY disks, I don’t think it will really matter to the fundraisers which drive you use. Most drives do a good job when presented with TY disks.

thanks. yeah, it’s more for peace of mind than anything - the discs are being sold, not used for presentations or whatever you might’ve been thinking of, so I want them to last more than 6 months and actually work in most consumer players. :slight_smile:

TY, if cared for, will last much longer then 6 months no matter what drive you burn it in.

Burn longitivity, assuming a reasonable inital burn, is determined by how well the disk is handled and stored.

According to a German test in C’t, the best disc for stability is Verbatim. TY did not do well at all in the test, but that was mainly because all burns were done at the top speed supported, so 8x TY media was often oversped to 12x-16x whereas other brands were burned slower.
If you like quality burns and know how to burn properly, this test does not help. It is aimed at people who just pop the disc in and burn at maximum speed. However, I found some of the info very interesting. More info here.