Quick nero question

vbimport

Hi Gang,

I was trying to back up my soldier of fortune II which I know has no copy protection other than a cd-key. I used nero to create an image from my writer (LTR-52246S) and then burned the image. For disc 1 everything appears fine. For disc 2, Nero does not have an underrun error, but it does slow down around 60% and then picks up again. Nero says it burned successfully. Upon install, everything goes smooth from the backup discs until 60% of disc 2 when it slows to a snails pace and eventually asks for Disc 1 again and press ok to abort install. If I run the game there is no sound and the tectures are missing, it’s all in wire-frame. It was actually kinda funny, but… do I have to use cloneCD or CD-mate to make the copy? anyone know what I am doing wrong?

thank you kindly in advance for your help!!! :smiley:

Try making the image again, use DriveSpeed to slow the drive down to about 8x during the reading process.

Did you make the copy of disc 2 only once, or several times?

Writers somes “pause” while writing to recalibrate, as the CDRW drive might be having problems writing the CDR. These “recalibration pauses” can be the cause of errors in your discs and giving troubles when reading the disc…

I only made the one copy…

I am gonna try an image read at slower speed and see what happens. Thx for the help guys!

Soldier of fortune 2 does use “bad sectors” as a copy protection and you would better off using clone cd and the general protected game profile to copy it.

Originally posted by iss
Soldier of fortune 2 does use “bad sectors” as a copy protection.

Not that I’ve ever heard of. It’s unprotected in oz and in every other country in which it’s been released AFAIK.

the retail copy that I have shows bad sectors on the original disk when I checked it with clony.

it only has a cdkey

Originally posted by iss
the retail copy that I have shows bad sectors on the original disk when I checked it with clony.

Clony gets things wrong all the time. :wink:

Clony gets things wrong all the time.

I’ve yet to scan a disc in Cloney that doesn’t report bad sectors.

Originally posted by philamber

Clony gets things wrong all the time. :wink:

That has to be the understatement of the year

is clony really wrong? it doesnt report bad sectors on many games I tested but comes back with none or unknown copy protection. correct me if I am wrong but “bad sectors” is basically the original copy protection employed by companies to try and prevent their games from being copied. it was effective and cheap. UNTIL the rise of the EFM correcting capable CD burners.

Originally posted by iss
is clony really wrong?

Yes! (Often! :wink: )

philamber.

thanks for the reply, so is there a better copy protection detector out there somewhere?

thx for the input peeps…

I made a successful copy but there is a catch it seems; I have to install the game from my writer and my writer ONLY! If I try to install from my reader it fails during installation. I am a bit ignorant as to why that might be but it is what it is. BTW, I have an LT 52246S and an LT 526 reader…

thx again for the help!