Quick ISO guide for newbies

What is an ISO?

An “ISO” is simply an image file. It contains all the information that is on a CD, and stores it in 1 file. Using CDR burning software we are capable of creating and writing a CD image. Not all CDR burning programs use the same format for ISOs though. Different burning programs may create different types of CD images. A few examples are:

Easy CD Creator - will create either .iso or .cif files for the CD image.

CloneCD - will create .img, .sub and .CCD files for the CD image. CloneCD versions 3 and up can also produce .cue files.

CDR Win - will create .bin and .cue files for the CD image.

Nero Burning Rom - will create a .nrg file for the CD image.

There are many other programs that can be used to create and manipulate an ISO. These programs include Winiso, Winimage, and ISO Buster. These programs are great for creating custom ISOs, extracting ISOs and testing them as well as finding out other useful information about the ISO.

Quick Notes

Easy CD Creator is only capable of burning images created by itself or images with the .iso extension.

CloneCD can only burn images created by itself.

CDRWin can burn any images created by itself and all .cue & .bin files and it is capable of burning a .img file made from CloneCD , but if it a copy protected CDRom image the CD may not burn correctly!

Nero Burning Rom will burn all its own images and is capable of burning images with .iso extension as well as .bin & .cue.

**This is just a quick overview and is certainly not a complete list of burning or imaging programs and their functions. I wrote this a quick guide for the newbie that should help in getting started with the concepts of what is an ISO. I will have a more detailed version of this guide including more programs and their functions when I am finished writing my website! Hope this helps someone! Any suggestions or feedback welcome. -SPINESHANK-

so whats the significance of an iso?

in basics, its the entire CD, subchannel and all (i believe - please correct me if im wrong) in a file, that can be replicated to another blank media.

NOTE : this doesnt apply to the newer age of copy protections.

I’ve got a copy of warcraft 3 on a .iso extension saved on my hard disk. Using nero I bured it to a disk, which seemed to work ok, all the files and folders appeared on the disk. I ran the setup file and again all seemed fine, however when I run the game it asks me to insert the original disk. What’s gone wrong?..I’m assuming that the game knows that it’s a copy and won’t play. Is there a way around this?

many thanks in advance,

Ninja Pyro

Originally posted by Ninja Pyro
[B]I’ve got a copy of warcraft 3 on a .iso extension saved on my hard disk. Using nero I bured it to a disk, which seemed to work ok, all the files and folders appeared on the disk. I ran the setup file and again all seemed fine, however when I run the game it asks me to insert the original disk. What’s gone wrong?..I’m assuming that the game knows that it’s a copy and won’t play. Is there a way around this?

many thanks in advance,

Ninja Pyro [/B]

With what program did you make the iso with ?

You do know , that if you answer something like “i downloaded/got it somewhere else” we’re forced to ban you and hand over all your information to the nearest police station ?

It’s all in the rules of the forum … and you did read them , didn’t you ?

id wager nero can also handle clone cd .img files, but im too lazy to test it out.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]

With what program did you make the iso with ?

You do know , that if you answer something like “i downloaded/got it somewhere else” we’re forced to ban you and hand over all your information to the nearest police station ?

It’s all in the rules of the forum … and you did read them , didn’t you ? [/B]

Mr. Belvedere

I think it may have been Easy CD Creator and my burner is a Liteon 24102B running V5S5A

Ninja Pyro

PS Thanks for the advice

id wager nero can also handle clone cd .img files, but im too lazy to test it out.

Shouldn’t be a problem but why waste the time if you have CloneCD.

i could say the same thing about the rest of the list :wink:

Originally posted by SPINESHANK
[B]

Shouldn’t be a problem but why waste the time if you have CloneCD. [/B]

In order to burn a safedisc 2.8x image made by clonecd with a cue sheet. Reports are that ccd can read a sd 2.8x cd ok but generally fails to write it correctly. Nero, on the other hand, at least in dao96 mode, generally writes it well enough for the copy to work.

Originally posted by Ninja Pyro
[B]

PS Thanks for the advice [/B]

You’re most welcome. The Warcraft cd is copy protected so it won’t do any good to make an image with the aid of Easy Cd Creator. It’s recommended to visit our CloneCD forum for how to handle the copy protection of Warcraft.