Quick dvd shrink question? please

vbimport

ok when i reauthor i can choose ac3 6ch english and ac3 2ch english…
if i choose just the 6 channel one will you lose any audio effect with just 2 speakers (like just the two in your tv)?
i can barely make some movies fit with lower compression if i take the 2 channel out, but am not sure if i should…
i usually keep the 2ch and 6ch, but if the 6ch is just fine on a 2ch setup then i know thats all i need… i hate to waste dvd’s, and may get a 6ch setup in the future to take advantage of it…
thanks alot…

You don’t need the 2 ch sound track. Just keep the 6 ch sound track and you’ll be fine.

thanks… jsut needed some confirmation on that one…
much appreciated :bigsmile:

Originally posted by Stoner
You don’t need the 2 ch sound track. Just keep the 6 ch sound track and you’ll be fine.

is 6ch dolby 5.1?
and ive also seen dts. that was a huge audio file… when i do see that should i choose that over the 6ch, or shoud i just stick with 6ch always?

:confused:

Actually I have a question as well. Bass’ Guide indicates that you should leave the subtitles in. Why is that?

another question…
donnie brosco for example has
ac3- 2ch english 165mb
ac3- 2ch english 165mb
ac3- 6ch english 391mb
ac3- 6ch english 391mb

why did they do this? is it safe to disable all but one, or should i keep both 6ch english audio files?

thanks again, and sorry for all the questions

:cool:

Subtitles take up very little room. And sometimes, they [usually the English ones] are needed too. Otherwise, how will you know what the aliens are saying;)

As regards audio, the advice in this thread is correct. Not everyone can use DTS, which is very high quality sound, but which takes up lots of room that you might think can be better used by the video. It’s a trade off. If you have an AV amplifier and surround speakers and ears like a bat, then the sound might be more important than top notch video. Only you can decide.

Two channel audio is normally reserved for Director’s Comments and the like. Riveting stuff that most are happy to discard.

-Pete

hed_strosity:

In the example you show, it looks as if there’s some duplication - maybe the program you were using became confused. I suspect there are only two files, not four.

Originally posted by Peter McCall
[B]Subtitles take up very little room. And sometimes, they [usually the English ones]

-Pete

hed_strosity:

In the example you show, it looks as if there’s some duplication - maybe the program you were using became confused. I suspect there are only two files, not four. [/B]

which is kinda what i suspected… between those there was french and spanish though… they werent layed out exactly like that…
dvd shrink brought it up like that… i only picked 1 of the 6ch, and will see how it comes out… im sure it’l’ be fine.
if theres enough space though dts should be chosen? if thers only dts sound extracted would it be ok on a 2ch setup? like missing the rest of the angle of sounds cause theres no surround setup?
just curious cause if i come across a movie that i can squeeze it ibto without degrading video quality then i want to…

ya know :cool:

Why not? If you’ve got the space for the DTS audio without impacting on the video, then by all means leave it in. If you don’t have DTS playback capability now, you may have one day.

However, I think the occasions when you come across these happy circumstances will be few and far between - and involve a very short movie!:slight_smile:

-Pete

Subtitles take up very little room. And sometimes, they [usually the English ones] are needed too. Otherwise, how will you know what the aliens are saying;)

LOL, good line of thinking. Aren’t subtitles where aliens are involved are encoded as part of the movie, not derived from the subtitle tracks. Battlefield earth is a good example.

No. They are what is known as ‘forced subtitles’, meaning you can’t turn them off like you can regular ones. But they are not burnt into the movie either.
So, while you’re transcoding you can certainly drop them. And that means trouble - unless you’re fluent in Klingon-speak!

-P

Thx for the clarification. New to transcoding.

What if i ONLY extract the dts sound and NOT the 6ch audio.

Would it sound ok on a 2ch setup, or is it like missing the rest of the angle of sounds cause theres no surround setup?
Did anyone test this?

I think you would be dependent on the player device. Some players can convert DTS to ‘ordinary’ sound. You might also have to fiddle with the settings to stop the player attempting to use the default, but no longer existent AC3 track.

Unless you do have a DTS decoder and a fancy audio system, there seems little point in going the way you propose.

-Pete

ok thanx for the info pete!

I have an logitech z-680 system with dts decoder built in
so i think ill just leave both when ever its possible :wink:

-Scidd0w

I think you would be dependent on the player device. Some players can convert DTS to ‘ordinary’ sound. You might also have to fiddle with the settings to stop the player attempting to use the default, but no longer existent AC3 track. Unless you do have a DTS decoder and a fancy audio system, there seems little point in going the way you propose. -Pete

I tried this when backing up The Recruit just recently… saved only the DTS track. ( My receiver does do DTS). But the disk only has audio when played on the computer DVD player. My standalone Toshiba 6200 doesn’t see any audio tracks. I read soon after that you need to have one AC3 track in addition to the DTS in order for some players to be able to play it.

I guess there’s no reason why you couldn’t just save the AC3 2-channel track in addition to the DTS, though. Wouldn’t take up much space.