Quick Draw Deal: WD Caviar Black 2TB: $160 w/ Promo Code

vbimport

Quick Draw Deal for a WD Caviar Black 2TB. Original price is $180 down to $160 with promo code.

Link and Promo Code: EMCYTZT2065

Code can stack. Limit 5 per customer as of now.

Deal expires at "11:59pm PT on Wednesday, 08/15/2012!"

[QUOTE=DM85;2649435]Quick Draw Deal for a WD Caviar Black 2TB. Original price is $180 down to $160 with promo code.

Link and Promo Code: EMCYTZT2065

Code can stack. Limit 5 per customer as of now.

Deal expires at “[B]11:59pm PT on Wednesday, 08/15/2012!”[/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks. Looks like they extended the sale for 1 more day.

That’s nice of them. I hope someone can take advantage of it. It’s a great deal.

Come to think of it… prices seem to be easing somewhat… except for the 4tb hard drives… (still above $200)… Just maybe we’ll see some decent Black Friday deals… maybe $199 (or less) for a 4tb drive…

BTW, not to scoop ya, but there’s a 3tb 7200rpm 64mb seagate for $149…
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844

You’d think we would see the next gen drives hit the market, but nowhere to be found… 2012 is turning out to be the dud for PC innovation (hard drives included)with the rare exception of tablets & smart phones-- generic comeptitors got going in the damn hurry with ICS compatability.

I’m eager to see how the new WD Red’s perform. They have 3TB drives that seem to be 1TB platters.

[QUOTE=DM85;2650968]I’m eager to see how the new WD Red’s perform. They have 3TB drives that seem to be 1TB platters.[/QUOTE]

Thought they were only upto 1 - 1.5tb per platter, that would make it two… usually 1 and 1.5tb drives will have one platter… I also read somewhere, that 5tb drives will end up using 3-4 platters eventually and will probably be the end for the current gen of HDD technology. 6+ tb drives will use HAMR technology.

HDD companies are scoffing at the price it will cost to retool to make HAMR drives… but flash memory companies are nipping at their heels so it will be a beat 'em or join em phase in the next 3 years…

Your wording confuses me a little. Did you think I meant the 3TB Red’s have only one platter? I meant that they use three 1TB platters. The reason I mention this is because many people were wondering if these Red drives were just Green’s with new labeling. Some pointed out the difference in total platters.

Green 3TB = 4 x 750GB
Red 3TB = 3 x 1GB

I’m also eager to see how HAMR technology progresses in the future. The size increase would be great, but I want reliability.

OK… I’m not sure what the red/green label signifies… I don’t keep up on such nuances the SECOND they come out… but I haven’t seen any significant increase in HDD performance from ANY new products in over a year…

I was just reading up on the densities of what current technology has… and the latest development has the newest drives able to reach 1tb per platter… it’s possible they will get either 1.5tb or 2tb per platter (or 1.8TB per Sq inch) by the end of perpendicular technology’s final yield. Whether that will mean 4.5 - 6tb hard drives soon is anybody’s guess. One thing is certain, they are gonna milk the flood price increases for everything it’s worth… since prices have only come down since demand was slacking off quite a bit and a HDD is not something you want to sit on a shelf for a year… because the warranty starts upon purchase but the product’s degrading cycle of usability starts the moment they leave the factory… hence the lettuce on the docks analogy works…

Greens are lower RPMs and some kind of intelligent ‘throttle back power/electrical consumption’ drives.

The Reds are supposedly beefed up with better drive mechanics that contend with Always On needs in our 28-hours-a-day/8-days-a-week world. There is also some electronics that deals with NAS-standards, too, with marketing promises of better reporting.

“How about just work?”

The Blues, the Blacks… it’s sounds like some New Zealand vs. Irish footballers.

The densities are getting amazing. Dual-sided drives holding 2Tb each side. So a 4Tb platter. Three platters. That’s my 12Tb drive right there!

What’s the hold-up? $179 each… no steenkin’ quantity limits either!

This thread has gone off-topic -_-. Newegg has another sale going on for Western Digital Internal HDD’s. Promo code is listed on the site. 15% off.