Quick dead PSU question

Hi guys,

Last night, my other PC (Pentium D 3.4GHz, “Review PC” in my sig) went South with a loud pop, tripping the RCD on the circuit breaker in my house (which is a first in 10 years hehe).

Now, I suspect the PSU, but the thing is, there was no smells or smoke or sparks or anything like that - and this is odd because I’ve had two (crappy Q-Tec) PSUs die on me, and both just never booted up again after shutdown.

Any chances it could be something else? I’ve checked the mobo for blown caps etc and all checks out.

The PSU in question is a 350W Fortron (FSP) PSU. I’ve been reading the Extreme Overclocking PSU forum all evening, and general consensus there is that FSP’s don’t usually take anything with them, so I’m hoping :wink:

I thought I’d ask before I go out and get a replacement PSU tomorrow…thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Yeah, it sounds like it’s the PSU, I’ve seen a PSU that the cap had exploded in before :eek: although that’s not your case, check the PSU first. Good luck :slight_smile:

yeah Arachne take it out and open the PSU up and see if you can see what blew. If you heard it blow then something is blown up somewhere.

Yep, just make sure its not plugged in when you open it. :flower:

[QUOTE=alan1476;1934765]Yep, just make sure its not plugged in when you open it. :flower:[/QUOTE]Main thing is to just observe and not touch anything. You could get zapped with a capacitor :doh:

Edit:
If something blew it will look like a firecracker (cap) and very noticeable. A snap will be a diode and no visual sign.

Had a power supply do this to me and it was a snap as you know to replace and get back up to par. You got some exploring to do, I wish you luck.

Motherboard capacitors can blow the same way.

Just get a new PSU, if it works then you have your cause.
I’d highly recommend you to step up to Corsair HX(series) or Seasonic’s S12-series instead of the rather lowend FSP PSUs.
//Danne

Thanks very much guys :slight_smile:

As I said, I’ve checked the mobo for blown (or leaking/bulging) capacitors that I can see and found nothing, it all looks in good shape.

I’ve managed to wangle a ride today so hopefully then I’ll go pick up a new PSU - even if I can’t get a Seasonic or Corsair HX right at this moment, hopefully I can grab another beefier FSP til I can order one online. :slight_smile:

Even if that doesn’t work, hey I have a spare I guess :wink:

Thanks again :flower:

An update…SHE’S ALIVE!!! :bigsmile:

Went to Maplin’s, bought a 500W FSP Blue Storm II PSU (which I shall keep as a spare when I can afford a Seasonic or the like), put it in, fired 'er up…and she lives!

Thanks again folks :flower:

[QUOTE=Arachne;1935056]An update…SHE’S ALIVE!!! :bigsmile:

Went to Maplin’s, bought a 500W FSP Blue Storm II PSU (which I shall keep as a spare when I can afford a Seasonic or the like), put it in, fired 'er up…and she lives!

Thanks again folks :flower:[/QUOTE]

woohoo! glad everything worked out :slight_smile:
IMO theres no need to replace it with a seasonic later, the other one blew because it was overloaded, your new one has 36A @ 12v and 80+ efficiency to boot :cool:
although I suppose you could replace it with a seasonic then put the FSP in the Dell :D:bigsmile:

Thanks for the additional input Jwill :flower:

Getting a Seasonic (or Corsair) and putting the FSP into the Dell was an idea, but something else I learned may be a possibility last night was that Dell may be using non-standard pinouts for their setup - something I’d have to investigate further.

I’m rather content with the FSP for the moment so we’ll see what happens once Christmas/New Year is over.

Hehe, even the packaging is awesome with this FSP :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;1935056]An update…SHE’S ALIVE!!! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]yaaaaaaaaaa and you call your pc’s she :bigsmile:

Glad she still works :iagree:

[QUOTE=rolling56;1935282]yaaaaaaaaaa and you call your pc’s she :bigsmile:

Glad she still works :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Thanks Rolling :)…and all PCs are female - they suffer from PMS too :bigsmile:

Very True!! Your too funny!!

[QUOTE=Arachne;1935284]…and all PCs are female - they suffer from PMS too :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

hehehe so true :bigsmile: my ol’ girl will probably have menopause(sp?) by the time I get the time/money to do a full rebuild :doh::stuck_out_tongue:

AFAIK dell stopped using proprietary PSUs, but I’m not 100% sure, so definitely do some research first :slight_smile:

…But on the other hand they can be very good to you and be there when you need them. :wink: :bigsmile:

Alright, I think I’m just very happy that the PC lives, that’s the reason for this silliness. Normal service will be resumed soon :wink:

Edit: @Jwill (you snuck in while I was posting!) - these two will probably be well into the menopause by the time I next upgrade, so you’re not alone hehe :wink:

Good to know that about newer Dells, now to cross me fingers! :slight_smile: