Questions!

I am very interested in this program since it is compatible with Windows XP 32-bit.

Questions I have related to this product is:

I have e-mailed the info e-mail for answers but if anyone has any valid input towards these questions feel free to shoot some answers and experience.

What are limitations with this software? I see 2 Tb is a limitation but any other?

If I am to install this Program and i choose to uninstall this program what happens?

If I am to install this program and my SSD is not plugged in what happens?

If I am to install this program and my SSD drive letter has changed what happens?

What happens if i choose to upgrade the capacity of my regular Standard non SSD drive with the software installed…

I currently have my pagefile an a ram drive, How does that affect Caching? Must my page-file be on my hard-drive instead of a ram drive?

How many times can I install the software… are there activation limitations. For instance what if I choose to uninstall it and install it several times on the same computer.

Is there a procedure for install/uninstall activation?

You do support Windows XP home edition right?

To be more specific.

The Ram software I am using is SuperSpeed Ram disk plus.

Are there any known problems associated with this Ram Disk software and paging file.

Hello,

>What are limitations with this software? I see 2 Tb is a limitation but any other?
2TB: we will start support >2TB for consumer editions this year.

>If I am to install this Program and i choose to uninstall this program what happens?
It will uninstall well behaved.

>If I am to install this program and my SSD is not plugged in what happens?
The SSD must be plugged in for the cache to work properly.
If you loose the SSD, you have the option to remove the cache manually.

>If I am to install this program and my SSD drive letter has changed what happens?
The drive letter will never change by themself, only if the user forces this.
Windows warns several times to don´t do it. We don´t recommend to change the letter too.
But that doesn´t break the cache operation.

>What happens if i choose to upgrade the capacity of my regular Standard non SSD drive with the software installed…
If you plan to upgrade the capacity of the host volume, you should remove the cache before doing so

>I currently have my pagefile an a ram drive, How does that affect Caching? Must my page-file be on my hard-drive instead of a ram drive?
The pagefile can be anywhere you want it. There should not be a problem with a specific ramdisk sw.

>How many times can I install the software… are there activation limitations.
>For instance what if I choose to uninstall it and install it several times on the same computer.
Activation will allways work on the same installation of windows.

>Is there a procedure for install/uninstall activation?
There is currently no support for deactivation / activation.

>You do support Windows XP home edition right?
Generally all editions of an OS are suppported.

I don’t mind the 2 terabyte limitation as Windows XP has that limit for boot drive at the moment.

My first order of business will be purchasing a 2 terabyte hard-drive and a SSD.

once I transfer current OS my drive onto the 2 Terabyte Drive I and connect an SSD I will play with the trial… then I will purchase the program.

The main reason I have not done the SSD caching options/hardware from other companies is because there is no Windows XP support with dataplex.

Thanks for responding quickly I hope things work out.

I just ordered a 2 Terabyte Hard drive and a SSD.

So the plan is set. Im really looking forward to this, its kindof exciting in a nerdling way.

I really want to make Windows XP fly like at SSD speed… without sacrafising space. AND without reinstalling the OS and all programs etc…

PLUS if MY SSD dies i should be able, according to your answers, manually delete the requirement of the cache for boot up.

Hello I just thought of another question.
Since my page file is on a ram-drive do I have to purchase the “Professional” edition since technically i want it to cache the host drive but my page file is on a different drive meaning its actually 2 drives that are getting cached?

I read into hard-drive caches and this is a quote:
[B]
Why is only half the Synapse capacity accessible?[/B]

The 50% NAND overprovisioning used on all Synapse models (translating into 32GB and 64GB cache capacities) is maintained as a performance feature to increase the lifespan of the drive, and accommodate the writing of “hot” user data. Since the Synapse acts as a cache for file/program copies vs. typical data storage, the “free” capacity will be sufficient to deliver the full benefits of Synapse for any personal usage pattern.

Do you recommend using only half of a SSD drive to prolong the life of an SSD? or is your program completely different?

1. We have never tried to cache a ramdisk with a pagefile.
    Maybe you should try it out first.
    But it seems not a good idea to me because:
    Pagefiles work not persistant, but VeloSSD works persistant.
    Also caching a faster medium ( Ram) on a slower
    medium ( SSD) makes no sense to me.
  2. Write amplification, overprovisioning, TRIM
    that´s perhaps a good article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_amplification

Maybe it would be good to include opt in
over provisioning using the given formula ?

[QUOTE=EliteBytes;2659809]1. We have never tried to cache a ramdisk with a pagefile.
Maybe you should try it out first.
But it seems not a good idea to me because:
Pagefiles work not persistant, but VeloSSD works persistant.
Also caching a faster medium ( Ram) on a slower
medium ( SSD) makes no sense to me.
2. Write amplification, overprovisioning, TRIM
that´s perhaps a good article:

Maybe it would be good to include opt in
over provisioning using the given formula ?[/QUOTE]

I actually do not want to cache the pagefile… but on your website it says in order for VeloSSD to work properly it needs to cache the pagefile.

What happened after I installed the trial version of VeloSSD all i got was a blank black screen with a line dash blinking in the top left corner.

Luckily as I was aware of the risks of installing VeloSSD I had kept my old hard-drive attached whereas the new Hard-drive was a complete image of the old hard-drive.

My guess is… your website says the page-file needs to be cached for proper implementation.

Quote:"
11.Will the Swap file be cached ? Will paging be cached ?
Caching the Swap File is necessary for correct function. "

My guess is it didn’t boot because the page-file is in the Ram Disk. Which was my inkling fear. The only way to make 100% sure that the ram disk page-file is the problem is by me actually restoring my hard-drive and running the SSD caching software again without the page-file in the ram-drive and on the host drive. I will not get around to doing this for quite some time.

IF I were you I would have let this random internet user test the setup anyways(even if i wasnt 100% sure about compatibility). I dont mind being a test bunny… . I think there is something going on here with SuperSpeed Ramdisk and the pagefile and the SSD caching…

I am in windows Xp right now is it possible to fix the other drive from a different installation of windows? I also can dual boot into windows 7.

I was actually triple booting with 2 xp installs (identical) and one Windows 7 install. if you have a way to fix the other drive while running windows xp or windows 7 not with the affected drive (obviously since it will not boot)… it would be nice to have that information.

The Faq means that the pf will be cached when on the volume that´s cached.
To remove the cache while inside windows on a dual / triple boot build:
That is not recommended, please use the procedure described here:
http://www.elitebytes.com/RemoveCacheVolumeDVD.aspx

I just restored my harddrive… Tried the software without the pagefile on the Ram-drive. The same thing happened a blinking dash in the upper left corner… But i had to leave so I left my computer on and I will see it probably when I get back home.

I think next time I will totally disable the RamDrive and uninstall the software.

So it now makes sense, its most likely a conflict with SuperSpeed Ram Disk. Thanks for clarifying about the Pagefile.

Pagefile in ramdisk -> how to make that happen. is there a big speed increase!?

I don´t see conflict closed. I can help when you give screenshot of disk manager.
We would rebuild the drive / Os configuration.
Dual Boot Win7/Xp works.

[QUOTE=RexHunt;2659983]Pagefile in ramdisk -> how to make that happen. is there a big speed increase!?[/QUOTE]

I do notice increases in loading speed but have never measured it. It may not be large I cant remember, but I saw a bit of snappyness. Maybe its feeling. I should do benchmarks.

I feel it is more valuable in Windows XP as there is a 4 Gigabyte Ram Limitation. Then Video cards take away and motherboard Resources take away. Then alot of resources get swapped and if swapped on the ram its at the speed of Ram. I have 8 gigs of ram on XP and use the upper 4 gigs of ram in my pagefile. The Software unlocks the limitation of the 4 gigabytes accessibilty (but only becomes accessible on a ram drive).

The only way possible is through an expensive program thats about 60 dollars. It may not be worth the while but if I benchmarked I would be able to see if its actually worth doing.

I may look into doing some benchmarks.

[QUOTE=EliteBytes;2660003]I don´t see conflict closed. I can help when you give screenshot of disk manager.
We would rebuild the drive / Os configuration.
Dual Boot Win7/Xp works.[/QUOTE]

I will do that when I get home.

Finally got around to making the screenshot…

It would be great to have the software working.

Does this mean if I were to add a drive to my computer the system could result in an incompatibility.

Windows 7 is on the 1 terabyte harddrive
Windows XP is on the 2 terabyte Harddrive
I also have windows XP on the 750 gig harddrive just in case as a backup.

What would happen if i ran usb drives.

I just noticed my bios is efi. I read that section about uefi… and i wanted to check if my bios was efi… then i found out my bios is efi as I am using a crosshair v mobo.

Is there an ETA for eufi support? my motherboard has no legacy support.