Questions with dvdfab and dual layer

if another dvd ripping program created an iso file or video_ts folder, and that program kept the layer break intact, will dvdfab recognize and keep the layer break in the same spot when burning to a dual layer dvd using the “full disc” dvd9 mode?

another question is does dvdfab keep the layer break intact when writing an iso file or video_ts folder to my hardrive in the “full disc” dvd9 mode?

layer break position doesn’t stored in iso file or video_ts folder, the copy software must read it from the disc, and use it to burn.

For DVDFab, only “Clone” mode will use the original layer break position.

thanks for the reply fengtao. what happens when i want to burn an iso file or video_ts folder on a dual layer dvd with dvdfab? will it insert its own layer break and be seamless?

Fengtao answered you that already.

layer break position doesn’t stored in iso file or video_ts folder, the copy software must read it from the disc, and use it to burn.

yes, i understand that the iso file or video_ts folder dont retain the layer break.

what im wondering is does dvdfab insert its own layer break when i take an iso file or video_ts folder and burn it to a dl dvd. i mean it has to insert a layer break if you burn to dual layer, right or wrong?

if it does insert its own layer break, is it seamless as i watch the dvd?

Bottom line. Fab needs the [B]disc[/B] to create a layer break.

You cannot use a file from your hard drive.

I’ve done many DL backups from file and never noticed the LB. With the disc in or out I believe that you always are burning from a file even if it is only a temp. one. As DVDFab does not burn on the fly.

So there’s a whole new can of worms I don’t want to open.

Try it for yourself and see if you can tell where the layer break is. :slight_smile:

DVDFab will try to find a good position to insert the layer break for normal ISO file and VIDEO_TS folder, in most cases it’s perfect.

Almost all of my DL backups have been from Customize mode with very few problems. The LB is only noticeable on one of my players.:cool:

The LB is only noticeable on one of my players.
Then make it seamless. This is easily achieved.

Regards

hello blutach, how is this seamless transition achieved with dvdfab?

As far as I know DVDFab has not implemented this feature yet. Imgburn has it. Read this guide to know how.

I think Tach may be talking about IMGburn and its seamless feature. I have used this and it works great but test is first to see if it works with your player.

Using DVDFab Platinum 3.2.I.0 used clone mode and created an ISO file. The directory had the iso file and an ini file with the number for the layer break.

Now I want to make a clone of the iso file when I use Write mode and input the iso file does Fab automatically use that layer break number?

Is that the best way to do it if I wasn’t ready to burn it right away?

The ISO size is 8,103,243,835 When I start to write it I get a message that the source is a single layer and it’s trying to write on a DL disk. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks,

Joe

[QUOTE=JoeBolden;1920954]Using DVDFab Platinum 3.2.I.0 used clone mode and created an ISO file. The directory had the iso file and an ini file with the number for the layer break.

Now I want to make a clone of the iso file when I use Write mode and input the iso file does Fab automatically use that layer break number?

Is that the best way to do it if I wasn’t ready to burn it right away?

The ISO size is 8,103,243,835 When I start to write it I get a message that the source is a single layer and it’s trying to write on a DL disk. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks,

Joe[/QUOTE]

First why are you using version 3.2.1.0., Next you can burn DL two ways. Direct which means you insert the source and when DVDFab is done reading and copying it in clone mode it will eject the source and ask you for the DL blank. Then the write process will take place. I don’t use this method. I use source for the DVD im gonna copy and use DVDFab ISO dir and load the ini file into source. Then i use target which is the burner. Once the DVD is copied the cloned ISO and ini file will be in that HDD dir. Inside the ini is the original cloned layer break as seen in this example file: [ISO]
Files=SPIDER MAN 3.iso
LayerBreak=2042896

To burn the clone movie you load the ini file not the ISO into DVDFab’s source and your DVD recorder will be in DVDFab’s target. The above is for cloning and to keep the original layer break that the commerical disc uses. The only time in clone mode that the layer break info is’nt the same as the original DVD is if that DVD has alot of copy protection and fake and bogus files etc then the layer break info will be different and DVDFab will make the layer break as best as it can and you will notice nothing. One movie " EL cantante" even cloned the layer break will not be the same as the original disc because the crap that New Line Home Entertainment put on the disc. That Disc reads over 8gb because of worthless garbage they put on it and because the DVD size is reduced because those needless files have been removed makes the layer break different then the original. And the total size of the copied DVD is different then the original but the entire movie is the same as the original. Only clone mode keeps original layer break in 99.9% of the cases.

P.S. If your happy with 3.2.1.0 thats cool, 3.1.8.0 is my favorite however 3.1.8.0 can not clone copy “EL CANTANTE”. I used 4.0.0.0 to tackle that movie, Have fun!.

Thank you for the quick detailed reply

Ok I loaded TRANXXXX-MERS VAXXXLA.ini 1k

other file TRANXXXX-MERS VAXXXLA.ini 7,913,234 k

The only 2 files in the folder. I put X’s - on this post to partially hide name from web crawlers
[ISO]
Files=TRANXXXX-MERS VAXXXLA…iso
LayerBreak=1978336

I click start and
message says Media inserted in drive F: is double layer, but the output only needs single layer media.
Do you want to continua writing?
Yes, No, Cancel
Which was the same message as when I loaded the iso file before.

I got that version from ???

I didn’t have a DL disc so I clone to ISO directory a few days ago now I have a DL disk

Disregard my last reply
RE: Media inserted in drive F: is double layer, but the output only needs single layer media.

I found the answer just click yes and continue to burn it was corrected in next version.

Newbie here. I’ve had DVDFab Platinum for about a year now and love it. This is the first time I couldn’t burn a movie. I have the latest version of DVDFab Platinum.

Am I out of luck on this movie? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not heartbroken that I can’t make a backup of this movie. :bigsmile:

Also, can DVDFab make backups of WII games ?

Thanks and I hope I posted these questions in the correct place.

[B]@JoeBolden[/B]
Write the ISO you made to your DL using the Write Data mode. Select the ISO file as the Source. If this is what you did then something is not right.

[QUOTE=signals;1921023][B]@JoeBolden[/B]
Write the ISO you made to your DL using the Write Data mode. Select the ISO file as the Source. If this is what you did then something is not right.[/QUOTE]

I first used clone DVD source and iso target

later I choose Write data source was the movie ini file in the ISO subdirectory where the movie.iso file was. DVD was the target which was a double layer blank
After clicking start I got
Media inserted in drive F: is double layer, but the output only needs single layer media.
I clicked Yes and it worked fine.

I found this sticky thread
DVDFab / DVD Region+CSS Free
DVDFab 3.2.1.0 is out DVDFab 3.2.1.0 is out

I looked at problem - reply #24 and answer reply #26

[QUOTE=fengtao;1904758]Hi MindApe,

Thanks for your report, it will be fixed in next version.

For now, you can simply ignore the warning and continue burning.

Best Regards,
Fengtao[/QUOTE]