Questions regarding lite-on model differences

vbimport

These may be sophomoric questions, but despite a few hours reading posts and googling, I still haven’t found a conclusive answer to the following:

Is there rhyme or reason to the current liteon product model convention? For example, on the release thread for CodeKing’s EEProm utility, he indicates that it’s possible to crossflash between the following:

16W1P <> 16A1P <> 18A1P <> 18A1H <> 20A1P <> 20A1H <> 20A1S <> 20A1L

Is it correct to conclude that the first two digits refer to some limit, for example, speed, and the trailing letter indicates the drive featureset? Ie, the 18A1H and 20A1H may be the same hardware and featureset but the 18 version is firmware limited? (I infer this by comparing the features described on the liteon page for similar models, but my question is specific to wether they are the same hardware or not.)

Also, whats the difference between LH- and DH-? I can’t identify a difference.

Long story short, I have a stack of DH-16A3L and DH-16A6S drives from HP and Dell workstations, respectively. I’d like to know if the 16A3L is hardware equivalent and a potential crossflash candidate, for example, to a 20A3L. My goal is building a machine that can be best described as ‘burninator’.

Also, I can’t find much mention of a ‘6’ generation or family line, is the 16A6S some quirk labeling?

-A university computer lab tech.

PS. If this information was available elsewhere, I’d appreciate a suggestion. I apologise for any inconvenience and thank you for your time.

Of the models you indicated, the first 2 digits indicate the max burn/read speed. Those ending with “L” and “S” are SATA models; “P” and “H” are PATA. LightScribe models have extra hardware, not just firmware differences, and end in “H” or “L.”

Lite-On has since changed their naming scheme (at least in their retail names), e.g. iHAS322, where the last two digits tell us the speed.

The hardware in the stated models must be very similar, otherwise cross-flashing would not be possible.

“DH” models are newer than “LH” ones, although some models that once began “LH” now carry the “DH” prefix. I have never seen any explanation of the difference, if any.

[QUOTE=superhero;2131187]“DH” models are newer than “LH” ones, although some models that once began “LH” now carry the “DH” prefix. I have never seen any explanation of the difference, if any.[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, the difference between DH and LH is where the buffer memory is located on the controller board. LH models had integrated memory, whereas DH models have external memory, or something like that. Sorry for not being clear and specific. Someone who really knows will chime in eventually.

[QUOTE=negritude;2131249]If I remember correctly, the difference between DH and LH is where the buffer memory is located on the controller board. LH models had integrated memory, whereas DH models have external memory, or something like that. Sorry for not being clear and specific. Someone who really knows will chime in eventually.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you learn something new everyday here - I didn’t know that, thanks :wink:

The DH was just added after LiteOn paired up with Philips and completed it’s buyout of BenQ…basically, it occurred when PLDS [Philips-LiteOn] came into effect. So the differences between a DH-20A1H and LH-20A1H will only be drive naming in Windows, and the firmware version, but you can easily make a DH-20A1H into an LH drive.

The rest of the drives after the A1 series got the DH designation exclusively. Even in some places in the firmware, the iHAS120, for example, is loosely referred to as a DH20A6. The new 22x drives may still be called iHAS/iHAP, but the drive name in the firmware may just appear as the DH22A8H and such.

The hardware inside the drives is not constant between all DH-named drives. No single set of hardware has been consistently better than the other sets of hardware in all areas.

The DH20A3 made use of the “new” [at the time] MediaTek chipset that had integrated buffer memory.
The DH20A4 fell back to the old hardware of the LH20A1 series, with a few changes here and there. [Different from the A3 series in many ways].
The iHAx series drives are making use of new MediaTek chipsets. The firmware from these drives seems to be related to the A3 series in a number of its quirks, but you can NOT crossflash between the two. In the iHAx naming scheme, you have both the A6 and A8 series. How different they are is unknown.

As far as that 16A6S…you might have to extract the firmware from the drive and ask someone like C0deKing to maybe check it for you to see what drive series it really is. Double-checking that A3L might be a good idea, too. :iagree:

Thanks for the info, Albert!

It would be nice to have a Wiki as a repository for all this knowledge; much easier to find stuff than searching forum posts.

[quote=superhero;2131291]Thanks for the info, Albert!

It would be nice to have a Wiki …[/quote] Albert is our Wiki! :bigsmile: