Questions regarding LG 8520B

vbimport

Hi,

has anyone got the LG 8520B to read CDs at 52x after upgrading the firmware?

and, would the drive read CDs at 52x if I add 52x to the list of Nero DriveSpeed? Currently 40x is the fastest speed the utility will auto-detect. Should that work?

Thanks for your attention,

o770

Turn off Drive Speed and set it to NOT load at start up. It has no usefull function for your drive. It’s designed for older drives that do not have the ability to self adjust their read speed. If you want to know what your drive is doing, run the transfer rate test in CDSpeed with a 700MB data disc.

Nero InfoTool now shows the drive reading speed at 52x, all I did was running CD Speed tests. I noticed it reaches different read speeds depending on the CD I am using, is that ok?

I turned the system off and ejected the CD but InfoTool still shows reading speed at 52x.

Then I upgraded the firmware and everything still looks the same…

btw, I did a quick search in the forum and there is actually a little trick to enable 52x read for CD-R. The drive is defaulted to 40x indeed. The trick is holding the load/eject button for 3 seconds when loading the CD-R, this will default read speed at 52x until the CD is ejected again or system is powered off.

I noticed it reaches different read speeds depending on the CD I am using, is that ok?

The speed reached depends on the amount of data on the disc. Max speed will usually be reached only on 700MB discs.
Depending the particular drive, you may also see differing speeds with CDRW discs and with audio discs.