Questions on using ImgBurn for general audio backups from a noob

vbimport

Hi All,

I’m an audio engineeer, and have used Plextools LE for several years to backup, verify, and occasionally quality-check the backups of audio files on Verbatim 8x DVD+R DL discs. The audio files are single, proprietary project files ranging in size from 1-2GB. I typically backup 5-7 files on a DL disc.

I recently bought an HP Elitebook 8540w laptop, running Win 7 Pro x64, which came with an Optiarc ad-7701h, and while not using it in my studio, I would like to be able to use it to backup files. I tried installing both Plextools LE and Pro, and while they would install, I couldn’t get them to actually burn discs.

I tried ImgBurn, in the “Write Files/Folders to Disc” mode, and it seems to work great to burn and verify. I’ve then been using Opti Drive (still in trial mode) to occasionally check disc quality. The combination of these two programs seems to meet my needs very well.

Here are a couple of questions:

1. Can anyone suggest a program, or combination of programs, which might serve me better, given my fairly simple needs?

2. I read this on another audio forum regarding ImgBurn:

“While it seems that the CD Audio extraction works OK, there are some documented flaws on the burning side of that app… I have no reliable info on CD-Audio flaws, but for DVD-Video it quite often modifies some of the files (IFOs and BUPs) when burning to DVD-R and when creating an “ISO” image file.”

Is this old news, or something that has been fixed, or is inaccurate? Since these backups are for work, clients have spent thousands of dollars on the music/audio files, so accuracy of the backups is imperative.

Thanks for your help!

Herb

Hi,QUOTE=mfxdmx;2565147 backup, verify, and occasionally quality-check the backups of audio files on Verbatim 8x DVD+R DL discs. The audio files are single, proprietary project files ranging in size from 1-2GB. I typically backup 5-7 files on a DL disc.

I recently bought an HP Elitebook 8540w laptop, running Win 7 Pro x64, which came with an Optiarc ad-7701h, and while not using it in my studio, I would like to be able to use it to backup files.[/quote]Should work. Or if you think, another DVD writer is better for your needs, then get an external one. Half-Height.

I tried installing both Plextools LE and Pro, and while they would install, I couldn’t get them to actually burn discs.
This is normal since Plextools only work with Plextor drives.

I tried ImgBurn, in the “Write Files/Folders to Disc” mode, and it seems to work great to burn and verify. I’ve then been using Opti Drive (still in trial mode) to occasionally check disc quality. The combination of these two programs seems to meet my needs very well.
Okay.

Here are a couple of questions:

1. Can anyone suggest a program, or combination of programs, which might serve me better, given my fairly simple needs?
    What should be better with another software? If quality is your problem, then software makes no difference unless you are using some buggy alpha version.
    The quality of your discs is determined by the drive, the media you are using and the write speed you are chosing.
  1. I read this on another audio forum regarding ImgBurn:
    "While it seems that the CD Audio extraction works OK, there are some documented flaws on the burning side of that app… I have no reliable info on CD-Audio flaws, but for DVD-Video it quite often modifies some of the files (IFOs and BUPs) when burning to DVD-R and when creating an “ISO” image file."
    Your project files do neither fall under the audio CD category nor under DVD video.

Since these backups are for work, clients have spent thousands of dollars on the music/audio files, so accuracy of the backups is imperative.

If you want to be sure your data has been written correctly, then calculate checksums and compare them with those of the originals on your HDD.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2565152]
If you want to be sure your data has been written correctly, then calculate checksums and compare them with those of the originals on your HDD.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Michael, for the excellent info.

Regarding calculating and comparing checksums, is this done by ImgBurn during the Verify stage of a burn? If not, should I use a third-party program do accomplish this? If so, can you recommend one? I ran across this during a google search: http://www.marxio-tools.net/en/marxio-fcv.php

Best regards,

Herb

Herb,

have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Md5sum

[QUOTE=mfxdmx;2565147]2) I read this on another audio forum regarding ImgBurn:

“While it seems that the CD Audio extraction works OK, there are some documented flaws on the burning side of that app… I have no reliable info on CD-Audio flaws, but for DVD-Video it quite often modifies some of the files (IFOs and BUPs) when burning to DVD-R and when creating an “ISO” image file.” [/QUOTE]

I hope LightningUK! will respond to this question.
From my understanding ImgBurn when building an image such as .iso makes an exact copy. At least when done to the harddrive.
If you use Build to do the “Write” to disc keeping ImgBurn in Build mode it writes an .iso to disc.
If you choose “write” & use Write mode then it writes DVD files to disc & will try to correct (IFOs and BUPs) only if it finds errors.

I would also look at chef’s link .

[QUOTE=mfxdmx;2565165]Thanks, Michael, for the excellent info. [/quote]You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

Regarding calculating and comparing checksums, is this done by ImgBurn during the Verify stage of a burn? If not, should I use a third-party program do accomplish this? If so, can you recommend one?
If data is important, then I’d prefer additional checksums. I am using md5summer for that purpose. Creating checksums for the original data on the HDD, then verify the copy on DVD against this checksum.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2565286]You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

If data is important, then I’d prefer additional checksums. I am using md5summer for that purpose. Creating checksums for the original data on the HDD, then verify the copy on DVD against this checksum.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Michael, would you mind a follow-up on md5summer? I’ve scoured the interweb for info on verifying, but am still having problems understanding how the verify process works.

I’ve managed to generate a .md5 file from the folder on the HDD containing the files I’ve backed-up to dvd.

When I attempt to verify the sums, I select the root folder on the DVD, then press the Verify Sums button. I then select the .md5 file on the HDD (because that’s what I’m verifying against?), and press Open. At this point, md5summer begins generating a new .md5 file for the files on DVD (I believe - it says it’s Generating, and the path is for the DVD drive).

I don’t ever see where it verifies? What am I doing wrong?

Also, do you have a preference for saving your checksums as .md5 or text files?

Thanks so much, and Happy New Year.

Herb

Hi,[QUOTE=mfxdmx;2567028]Michael, would you mind a follow-up on md5summer? I’ve scoured the interweb for info on verifying, but am still having problems understanding how the verify process works.[/quote]There is a short help text on the programmer’s website: http://www.md5summer.org/help.html

Basically, you are doing this: Select the folder you want to calculate the MD5 checksums for (md5summer will calculate the MD5 for each file in that folder). After processing, you are asked where to store the checksum file.
To verify the stuff on the DVD you created, select the DVD as “root folder” and click “verify”. Then you are prompted for a MD5 file, against which the files on the DVD are compared.

Michael
P.S.: maybe you are also interested in DVDisaster: http://dvdisaster.net/en/

[QUOTE=mciahel;2567063]Hi,There is a short help text on the programmer’s website: http://www.md5summer.org/help.html

Basically, you are doing this: Select the folder you want to calculate the MD5 checksums for (md5summer will calculate the MD5 for each file in that folder). After processing, you are asked where to store the checksum file.
To verify the stuff on the DVD you created, select the DVD as “root folder” and click “verify”. Then you are prompted for a MD5 file, against which the files on the DVD are compared.

Michael
P.S.: maybe you are also interested in DVDisaster: http://dvdisaster.net/en/[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Michael!

Apparently I was doing it correctly, but was confused because, when verifying, the gui appears just as it does when it’s generating a .md5, and when it’s done, if there are no errors, it just stops. Suppose I was looking for a “verification successful” message. I did do a test on a small amount of data in a folder, and deleted one of the files to verify, and it showed errors, so now that I know what to look for, I’m set!

Herb