Questions for the pro's

vbimport

All right. I have a few questions and I hope all you experts (at least compared with me) can give some answers!

1. What feature is needed on a CD/DVD-Reader/Writer to read protected audio CD’s?

What I mean is: for copying (writing) SD>2.51 a writer has to do EMF correctly, what feature does a reader/writer need to have to read protected audio CD’s?

Why can Plextors read them and Lite-On’s (for example) can’t? Which feature(s) do the Lite-On’s miss?

1. Does anyone know if the new Lite-On’s (32x, 40x, 48x) can do overreading into I/O? Can someone test this for me (use EAC)?

2. Does anyone know if the new Lite-On’s (32x, 40x, 48x) can do overwriting into I/O? Can someone test this for me (use EAC)?

3. Does anyone know a CD/DVD-writer that can READ and
    WRITE the complete LeadIn (4500 sectors), Pregap and
    LeadOut ( ? sectors)?

I'm counting on you guys!

1. It Depends on the protection. ie. Cactus 100 requires the ability to read past the last sector as defined in the TOC. Cactus 300 requires the ability not to be confused by the non-standard session layout, and to read the first session that “shouldn’t” be there.

As for the last three, never had any experience with them. Ask an audio mod, or Pio2001. They’ll know.

All I know is that EAC only supports overwiting on Teac burners, if not on a single Teac burner. It won’t overwrite with any other burner.

All I know is that EAC only supports overwiting on Teac burners, if not on a single Teac burner. It won’t overwrite with any other burner.

As far as I know it’s a limitation of the burner and not of the software. And EAC can do this with every burner as long as the burner supports it. Where did you get the information about the Teac-burners?

To read Key2Audio, a reader’s firmware must not crash in case of special types of illegal tocs and illegal data session after the audio session.

To read Key2Audio, a reader’s firmware must not crash in case of special types of illegal tocs and illegal data session after the audio session.

So if I understand correctly someone could modify the firmware for Lite-On’s so they can read protected audio CD’s!?

Anyone any experience with this kind of stuff.
I know some of you pro’s propably can do this.
Could you guys give it a try and let us know your findings.

So if I understand correctly someone could modify the firmware for Lite-On’s so they can read protected audio CD’s!?

It is theoretically possible, but only in theory.

Making a drive reagon free “only” requires modifying some conditional jumps, but removing a bug from a firmware (such as crashing under special circumstances) requires complete understanding of it (including the command set of the microprocessor controlling that thing). I don’t think it’s possible for 3rd-party-developers to make LiteOns capable of reading K2A :a.

Originally posted by Namoh
Where did you get the information about the Teac-burners?

From the source :
http://www.digital-inn.de/showthread.php?threadid=8024

220 views and there is nobody who knows the answer on question 4?

This is the question, anyone?
4. Does anyone know a CD/DVD-writer that can READ and
LeadOut ( ? sectors)?

All writers can… but the problem is that reading these special zones of a cd are done by a sending a special mmc command to the writer/reader. To my knowledge there is no command available for raw reading/writing of the lead-in/out… So if there is no available command, so you should definitely try to find a drive which also has its own commandset (for example: plextor drives (early models?) have there own command set). A workaround for this problem is the overreading/writing thing, but I haven’t heard of a drive which is capable of doing all the things you ask for…

key2audio can be read by the lite-on40125s with vs0j I believe, with other firmwares it is impossible.
So it really is possible to change the firmware to get a perfect reading from lite-on drives.
btw. Lite on’s vs0j firmware can do most audio protections. And even if it can’t read, it can allways burn. Try another reader!

Originally posted by Namoh
4. Does anyone know a CD/DVD-writer that can READ and
LeadOut ( ? sectors)?

To my knowledge no drive nor any program can read the lead-in before the pregap. EAC only overreads the pre gap (no logical adress, absolute time zero, 150 sectors).

Thanks for all the replies.

I now know I’m looking for a not excisting SUPER-drive!

To bad. Maybe I’ll send an email to Lite-On and ask if they will implement these features on the new models!! :bow:

And yes I know there is propably no change they will implement it, but the engineers will have something to laugh about. :wink:

Maybe you’d better asking first for pregap and lead out, leaving the lead in for later :wink:
But some drive can already read them. The problem would be to make a program that would allow overwriting.
Then we could test existing drives and see if there are some that already can :slight_smile:

Originally written by Andre Wiethoff at http://www.digital-inn.de/showthread.php?threadid=8024
At least in EAC only Teac 56-600, 56-400 and 58 are enabled to write into leadout.