Questions DVD: Mdisc x Verbatim AZO

1. I purchased the MDisc DVD Verbatim, Millenniata says that it has an expectation of 1000 years at 25 ° C 50%, is this information true or not? is there any study that proves this theory in home drives?

2. MDisc DVD Verbatim has the same durability, same ingredients (glue, polycarbonate, dye) of the Verbatim AZO Mitsubishi DVD?

1. There are studies based upon accelerated aging simulations.
  2. Totally different construction.

It would be far easier to refer you to the distributor’s web site than answer each question in detail.

Please see:

http://www.mdisc.com/

MDisc DVD Verbatim Millennita did not lie is it marketing?

The latest and most numerous stock of Verbatim AZO discs were made by MBI in India. From my personal experience and experiences from other forum member those discs are of low quality. In the last year I’ve burned around 30 Verbatim DVD-R AZO (MCC 03RG20) with mediocre to bad results. All discs were readable but with high error rates not typical for this media. I still haven’t done rescans to check how they are ageing - if i find something interesting I’ll post it to the forum.

For the MDisc we still don’t have relevant data on longevity - for now everything looks as advertised. It will take 5-10 years for the first problems with longevity to show up. Personally I wouldn’t trust single copy on single type of media for my most important things I need to archive.

Millenniata does not say if mdisc verbatim dvd uses the same glue as common dvds, even same polycarbonate and same sealing they say 1000 years for mdisc dvd verbatim but I suspect marketing

mdisc dvd is lie and maketing?

M-Disc DVD? No it is not a lie or just marketing. Blu-rays get more complex but the DVDs are way better longevity wise, then standard DVDs. Organic (standard DVDs) vs Inorganic die (M-Disc DVDs) is what makes the real difference with the DVDs. The DVDs are what was tested and certified with government testing and is what they base their marketing on.

DVD MDisc Verbatim has inorganic dye and common DVD has organic dye but if the glue for both is the same the longevity will also be the same

Does Millenniata test the disks on datarius drives?

“The M-DISC™ data layer is a nano-scale, multi-layer structure consisting of metals and other inorganic
materials. It is substantially different from the conventional organic dye-based disc in that it was designed
from the beginning to last for centuries without the failure points common to conventional Blu-rays and
DVDs. Oxidation of the nano-scale data layer in the M-DISC™ during long-term storage is the only potential cause of data loss that is a concern as long as the polycarbonate substrate survives.
The materials used in the M-DISC™ data layer are extremely resistant to oxidation. Even so, if enough
oxidation occurs over the centuries, the M-DISC™ could still become unreadable at some point in time.
Determining the maximum rate of oxidation is the key to determining the lifetime of the M-DISC™.”

The published summaries of archival testing do not specify the brand of equipment used.

I understood that the mdisc undergoes oxidation data layer but its glue is immune to moisture and heat?

Suggest you direct this to info@mdisc.com; it would be of interest if you summarized any response you get from them, in another posting.

This is a hobbyist forum, not a manufacturer support area. You are not likely to get more detailed or authoritative answers here other than what has already been posted or linked to.

I thought you guys had technical knowledge of mdisc because I sent the email and mdisc does not respond

No one on the forum has equipment to make complicated chemical composition analyses of optical media. All the knowledge on the forum is based on personal real world experience with optical media, supported/documented by scanning results. M-Disc is new and not wide spread format so the information on real world performance is very limited. It will take at least a decade to have some meaningful results on aging. Will I trust M-Disc as my only copy of my most important data? Absolutely not.

codyff, it seems your question will remain unanswered, as no one outside the Verbatim company will respond to the quality testing done to their product to suggest a 1000 year durability. Frankly the whole question is somewhat ridiculous, as there is so little which requires integrity to any useful end 1000 years from now, which will not be redundantly documented in the cloud. IMHO. Do I think M-disc is valid, vs. marketing hype? I do believe they have developed a much longer lasting process as they have explained it. In good storage conditions the glues should outlast the dyes.

I read on the web that the glue is the first to die, then the dye, then the polycarbonate, I do not know the MDisc glue and they do not answer my questions

Understand your concern. If you doubt their glue will last more than normal CD-R, say 20 years, there would be no point in expecting & paying for their “longer life” discs.

I don’t know what the Real life expectancy is for MDisc, but quality of manufacturing is a big part in the question. A company saying they use the same glue as others, and the actual quality of that glue chemistry are two different things.