Questions about the preview and junk

I noticed that it looks like the new v2 encoder favours colour compression first before spatial compression. Is that true? It just seems that colour fields don’t have quite the variance that they did in the previous versions. Don’t get me wrong - it’s not really noticeable. It just seems like it’s a small trick to reduce bandwidth so as to keep a sharper picture and reduce visible mpeg macro block artifacts ie. “blockiness”. I still know of people that swear by DVD X Copy [Express] because it’s “quick and easy” but the quality is fairly substandard, at least now. I’ve tried a few concert DVD’s with it and it screws up on frame interlacing of all things. I wouldn’t think it possible with a decent transcoding engine unless they’re unsuccessfully trying to convert it to progressive frames before reencoding them. A respectable transcode engine shouldn’t play with the frame format PERIOD! This new version of CloneDVD works great though. I’ve had it crash a couple times but nothing major (never during ripping or transcoding, just in the dvd selection screen)

Also, what’s the deal with the CloneDVDfix version 1.13.12.1 (or something like that)? - its the other install with the word “fix” on the end that’s only on the ftp site, and not offically on the website. Is that to fix problems with only certain DVD’s, because it causes ALOT of graphic glitches in common DVD’s ie. Matrix, Matrix Reloaded, 28 Days Later, Cube2: Hypercube? (those are the ones I tested before I stopped using it)

Also, I wonder if it’s possible to have an option where u could have an image come up saying “please insert disc 2” at the end of the disc without using premastering software if you’re using the track split option (customizable graphic). Or any pic at either the beginning or end of the movie for whatever purposes say for copyrights, or “this is a backup copy” or whatever and for a customizable length of time.

>Also, what’s the deal with the CloneDVDfix version 1.13.12.1 (or something like that)? - its the other install with the word “fix” on the end that’s only on the

Yes, this version fixed a problem which showed up only with some specific DVDs.
Do you observe these ‘glitches’ also with the current version of CloneDVD?

>Also, I wonder if it’s possible to have an option where u could have an image come up saying “please insert disc 2” at the end of the disc without using

Yes, especially in the case of splitting this would be useful.

I don’t notice the problem in the DVD’s I mentioned with the 2Preview, only in the fixed version 12.x one.

I should note that I’m using a Plextor PX-708A internal drive in an ADS Technologies Dual-Link (USB2&1394) external drive bay enclosure. It takes about 25-45 mins to rip a movie with it, depending on the movie (+ 15mins to burn cuz I only have 4x discs).

I should stress how much better it would be if you could customize either the beginning or end and how long you could put a CUSTOM single frame graphic up for a message.