Questions about Taiyo Yuden and MCC

vbimport

Long time lurker, occasional poster here :stuck_out_tongue: Looking for a little help making sense of some of the changes in the DVD R market over the last few months or so.

My current stash of Verbatim Lightscribe DVDs (MCC 004 from India and Taiwan) is about to run out in the next month or so, so I’m shopping for something new.
I’m considering jumping into the field of printable discs and getting a Canon Pixma iP4500. But even if you don’t have a disc printer, the printable discs look nicer than branded discs when you’re finished writing on them with markers/sharpies/whatever.

However, I’m finding the choices of Taiyo Yuden to be quite limited these days at least on SVP.
http://svp.co.uk/searchresults.php?sSrch=Taiyo+Yuden&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0&Submit=Search
I know Verbatim branded TY is not held in high regard here (could anyone tell me why?) to a lesser extent all TY 16x media, and even though I had bought a 10 pack of printable TYG02 (Datasafe Pro) in the past and had stellar results, they’re gone, and everyone who posted about the 100 pack did so to reveal serious problems. Combine that with the fact I don’t need 100 discs in one go, AND I prefer +R over -R, TY just doesn’t seem to have anything out there that floats my boat ATM except some stuff listed at DiscImpex in Greece but that sounds like more hassle than its worth.

Before I forget about Taiyo Yuden altogether and grab a pack of these Printable 16x MCC 004 Verbs, are there any good Taiyo Yuden DVDs (preferably +R and printable) that you guys can recommend, shipping to Ireland?

Speaking of MCC, I’m seeing a lot more non-Verbatim MCC on SVP these days, a lot of MCC 003/004 in DVD+Rs, including subsidiesd DShirt discs, and a few in DVD-R including these from RiDisc, that I kinda like the look of.
Are these likely to be fake MCCs or genuine but “factory seconds” AZO dye discs?

[QUOTE=SeanW;2113243]are there any good Taiyo Yuden DVDs (preferably +R and printable) that you guys can recommend, shipping to Ireland?[/quote]Yes, the 8X +R version. YUDEN000T02. They still have stock at SVP. :wink:

I find these printable T02 on par with, and in some instance slightly superior to, premium printable MCC004 from CMC/PAPA, which are my usually favorite discs. Grab some of these T02 while they are available! :smiley:

Speaking of MCC, I’m seeing a lot more non-Verbatim MCC on SVP these days, a lot of MCC 003/004 in DVD+Rs, including subsidiesd DShirt discs, and a few in DVD-R including these from RiDisc, that I kinda like the look of.
Are these likely to be fake MCCs or genuine but “factory seconds” AZO dye discs?
Mostly “factory seconds” as you put it. :wink: It’s a little more complicated than that actually, but that’s good enough an explanation. As a matter of fact, fake MCC is kinda rare, and SVP would probably not sell it. But mediocre MCC is not rare under non-Verbatim brands. :stuck_out_tongue:

Most of the MCC 003/004 DVD+R as listed are stuff which comes with multiple codes. Most early batches were factory seconds of MCC003/004, however most of the newer batches for these brands do no longer carry Mitsubishi MID’s but will come with the other codes that are listed. The change of getting MCC media this way is becomming smaller and smaller.

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2114190]The change of getting MCC media this way is becomming smaller and smaller.[/QUOTE]I guess you meant “chance” instead of “change”. :wink:

I didn’t know there were more and more fake MCC, as I’m haven’t been exposed to el-cheapo brands for a long time now.

@Francksoy, I’m sorry to report that there are no YUDEN000T02 left on SVP, printable or otherwise :sad: http://svp.co.uk/searchresults.php?sSrch=Yuden&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0&Submit=Search
All the 8x media left is the valueline stuff from Datasafe, which got dreadful reviews.

Is any of the 16x stuff worth touching?

I’m so sorry, last time I checked they were still there! :doh:

I can’t vauch for 16X TY DVDRs (+ or -). I didn’t like the ones I tried but my experience with them is limited. Of course they must generaly be good discs, but I don’t think that in Europe, the difference in price with the Verbatim 16X +R discs is really justified. My opinion.

SVP’s having a major update on the site, and there’s a lot of stuff not showing up. It’s been like this since the weekend.

I guess this has something to do with the company takeover, and operations moving to Edinburgh.

Digitalpromo still have +R x8 Printables.

Thasnks for the heads up.

I read they do ship outside the U.K. :slight_smile:
BTW is this shop ‘reputable.’ I.E. can I reasonably discount the possibility that these are fake Taiyo Yudens?

[QUOTE=SeanW;2115115]BTW is this shop ‘reputable.’ I.E. can I reasonably discount the possibility that these are fake Taiyo Yudens?[/QUOTE]Certainly, at least for Yudens. :iagree:

I’ve ordered from them a couple of times, no issues.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2114321]All the 8x media left is the valueline stuff from Datasafe, which got dreadful reviews.[/QUOTE]
I dont take much notice of the SVP reviews, if you look the people with the problems have them with almost all media they get there, and some have a SVP edit note to say so.

I have no problems with the Datasafe TYG02 from SVP, I have done well over 1000 and they are all still going with perfect results, you could search out my posts to see some of the scans I have posted for them if you feel the need…

I have also got a TYG03 DVD-R printable from SVP that had a 2/10 score and have had very good results, better than any Verbatim TYG03.

So the quality ‘might’ not be as good as the £40/100 T02, but at £16/100 they are a great price, and I have burnt many that give the same results or better than T02.

I should update some feedback at SVP …but then others buy all the good stuff up that I find, like them damn unbranded MC003 ‘Yellows’ :a

[QUOTE=Lenny_Nero;2117416]So the quality ‘might’ not be as good as the £40/100 T02, but at £16/100 they are a great price, and I have burnt many that give the same results or better than T02.

I should update some feedback at SVP …but then others buy all the good stuff up that I find, like them damn unbranded MC003 ‘Yellows’ :a[/QUOTE]Well, if they’re Verbatim factory rejects, they might not be such a good deal.

As for the poorly rated Taiyo Yudens, generally speaking, I am loathe to buy more than 25 of any kind of disc in one go, unless it something really special. That and I prefer DVD+. So I was a little skeptical of those Value TYG02s.

Now, the YUDEN000 T02s Yoda pointed out to me on DigitalPromo on the other hand :bow:

Will post scans (QS and TRT) in a few days.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2117563]Well, if they’re Verbatim factory rejects, they might not be such a good deal.[/QUOTE]
??? what are verb factory rejects ???

I have not used DigitalPromo myself, but I have friends that have said they got a good deal on TY media only to get the exact same disks as I get from SVP, just they pay more and SVP are more honest about the grade.

Well, I got my 100 shrink wrap of Full Face Printable Yuden000 T02 the other day and I’m delighted. :bow: Both the label prints and the quality scans are stellar :clap: I checked all the codes, they’re genuine 8x TY DVD+ and they don’t appear to be TY Valueline.
The quality scans rival and in some cases beat my MCCs.

These puppies were worth the wait, and the money I spent on them.

A big thank you to everyone who helped me piece all this stuff together. :flower:

[QUOTE=SeanW;2119401] I checked all the codes, they’re genuine 8x TY DVD+ and they don’t appear to be TY Valueline.[/QUOTE]
How do you tell that they are valueline or not ?

As far as I have ever seen people just go on the price.
The usual SVP datasafe TYG02 burn with a hi and low speed scan.