Questions about setting up a media center

First, I’m not sure if this is the correct place to post this so please move it if needed. I have looked around and tried searching but can’t find a good answer for my questions.

I am trying to set up a server that holds all my music, photos, and videos to be viewed in different ways. I can’t handle the music and photo part of it but need a little help with the video part. I will want to be able to have DVDs and Blu-ray movies ripped to my hard drive and watched by any of the following - PS3, XBox 360, PC/Laptop, or iTouch. I have downloaded and started playing with TVersity which seems to serve all the media out to all the devices that I want, but I don’t know the best way to get the video off the disks and onto the PC.

Questions:

1. What file formats should I use for my DVDs and Blu-rays? I don’t think they need to be able to be played by all the devices I listed because TVersity is suppose to supply the media in a format that the device can play when requested. I think it just needs to be able to be played in WMP.

2. What program should I use? I don’t know anything about this part of it and need as much advise as I can get.

3. What is the quality like? Would it be pointless to rip a Blu-ray to a hard drive and then watch it through the PS3 with TVersity? If it degrades the quality then I don’t really want to watch it that way. I would rather use the disk.

So the point of this is to have all my DVDs and music ready to play at the touch of a button. Then I could box up my disk and store them in the closet until needed. I want the quality to be good if not great. I have been told by a co-worker to use MPEG-2 for my DVDs and AVCHD for Blu-ray. Does this sound like what I want?

Any help would be great.

Matt

You need to have windows xp media center addtion or vista home premium or vista ulitimte. the vista’s have media built into them. thats all i really know sorry if this doesnt help you to much. and about file types any will play as far as i know.