Questions about s-ata optical devices (ODD)

Sorry if my questions are dumb, but I’m rather noob :o about computer technical stuff. Moreover, english is not my primary language: sorry if my questions are not clearly expressed. This is my first thread, and hope that this is the right place.

I’ve read in this forum that s-ata ODD are a little problematic because not all s-ata controllers are able to correctly manage them.

Is this due to an incorrect management of ATAPI protocols (like on IDE external controllers)?

If also s-ata controllers have problems to manage ATAPI protocols, then maybe s-ata cannot be the future for ODD. I don’t understand: ODD are necessary to any computer system, like floppy driver was before of CD/DVD readers, so why mainboard developers don’t integrates on their products s-ata controllers compatible with ODD? Nowdays s-ata controllers are proliferating on new mainboards, and are very sophisticated regarding HD (is possible build many types of RAID systems, and not the simple 0 OR 1 of the first s-ata controllers integrated on mainboards), but are still not fully compatible with ODD.

OK, right now there are not so many s-ata ODD devices to justify the expenses to integrate an ATAPI compatible s-ata controllers on all newer mainboards, but what about the future?

Is it correct to say that new technologies such blu-ray and HD-DVD will require a faster interface to manage so much data capacity? Is IDE technology sufficient to manage the high rate transfer necessary for these new technologies? Right now to write 4 GB on a DVD @16x are required about 6 min, but to write a 30 GB on a blu-ray or on a HD-DVD disc will be necessary an higher rate transfer, otherwise to burn a single disc will be necessary a longer time than a 4 GB DVD written @ 1x!!. Is it correct?

So, if future ODD are moving toward higher capacity and then toward the necessity of higher rate tranfers, why s-ata controller producers are apparently neglet ODDs? Maybe there is a new technology under development that will substitute s-ata or specifically dedicated to ODD leaving s-ata to HD?

Are really s-ata developers stimulated to increase their support to ODD? Maybe it depends again on costs? Because of there are not so many users having multiple ODD (the mean user is not a CD-Freaks :stuck_out_tongue: ), then mainboard and controller manufacturers don’t want afford higher economical expenses to produce cards more ODD compatible?

If not all s-ata controllers, expecially those integrated on mainboards, will be compatible with ODD, then the only solutions to people like me having more than one optical device (and more than 1 HD) are two:

1. an extensive search to find an external controller able to manage ATAPI protocols, but these are not so easy to find everywhere, or are MORE expensive.
  2. use USB/Firewire interfaces.

What do you people think about this?

Thanks for explanations and again sorry for my errors :bow: :bow: :bow:

Eventually SATA will support optical drives. In the early days, neither EIDE controllers nor add-on IDE cards supported ATAPI devices. That soon changed. Just be patient, young one.

Thanks for reply. :slight_smile:

I was just curious to know what other people think about this item.