Questions about NERO

vbimport

Hi,
Could anybody please help me with some questions about NERO?

Q1: Assume that I have 100 files to collect and burn in a cdr, I set up a folder for this in hard disk, and I have collected and burned file 1-20 (no folder) and saved it as AAA.NRI. After that I moved away file 1-20 from the folder.
What steps should I take to “delete” or even “overwrite” file 20 ? Do I have to move file 1-19 back to the folder?

Q2: in CD-ROM(ISO)–multisession mode, what does “track” in a session mean?

Q3: After burning a cdr, I always save it as NRI. But what can I do with it? I mean, I find that CONTINUE A MULTISESSION DISC do not need the saved NRI, but treated as “CREATE NEW”. And I don’t know if re-editing needs NRI, as in the above Q1, or needs “CREATE NEW” as well. So is NRI only used for making identical burning in the future?

Q4: Why in my NERO version 5.5.6.6, the “DETERMINE MAX SPEED” and “SIMULATE” are always grayed out?

Any response would be appreciated.
wyf.

Q5: when Continue Multisession disc , what do the red crosses in front of some files mean?

Q6: Is there a FAQ or detailed illustration for the usage of the multisession property sheet–options ? The help file of NERO is that kind of HOW TO… help, but I think more help of COMMAND kind is necessary, giving out explaination of every command and option.

Q7: my Nero version does not support SORT by name/size/last modified/…in ISO window (right), what about newer versions?

1. I’m not entirely sure I understand exactly what you are trying to do, but I would suggest trying this:

a. Burn the first session of your multisession disc with files 1-20
b. Put the CD back in the drive, and select File->New->CD-ROM (ISO) and in the multisession tab select “Continue Multisession Disc” and uncheck all the other options on the multisession tab.
c. Press New. Nero will read the existing sessions that have already been burned on the CD. Pick the latest track/session and press “OK”.
d. Nero will import the previous session and all its files from the CD.
e. On the left hand window that shows the data already on the CD (labeled “ISOx”), delete any files you do not wish to keep on the CD (this will only delete the links to the files - the data will still be physically on the CD). Replace any files you want to replace with new ones by dragging the replacements from the right hand window to the left hand window. Again, the old file will physically remain on the CD, but the new replacement will take its place in the contents. Add any new files by doing the same.
f. Press burn.

The various options listed under the multisession tab are designed to automate this process by mirroring the changes you make on your hard drive. For instance, if you check all these options and remove files 1-19 on the hard disc, replace file 20 on the hard disc, and add files 21-25 on the hard disc, then when Nero refreshes the compilation it will automatically do the same for the CD image so that after the burn your CD will show only the replacement of file 20 along with the new files 21-25.

Play around a bit and you will get a better feel for what these do and how to use them.

1. Each time you burn a new session in a multisession disc, Nero burns that session as new track on the disc.

2. As you have noted, Nero will import the previous sessions from the CD and does not need the NRI file. I only save NRI files if I am going to be making the exact same disc multiple times. I suppose it might save some time if you do use it, but I have never bothered.

3. Uncheck the “Buffer underrun protection” box on the “Burn” tab. <edit> By the way, this should be obvious but… Only uncheck “Buffer underrun protection” when you want to simulate/determine max speed. Leave it checked for the actual burn. </edit>

cfitz

1. Nero doesn’t know what icon to display for the file. It is confusing, since it looks like Nero intends to delete the file. But that isn’t the case. Nero just isn’t smart enough to find the right icon to display.

2. Right click on each option for a more detailed explanation, and do some experimenting. Use a CD-RW if you don’t want to waste CD-R discs.

3. Yes they do. That is one of many reasons you should upgrade your quite old version. Another is that the upgrade is free. Go to http://www.nero.com/en/download/nero-prog.html#download

cfitz

Thanks so much!

I read your post carefully and did a trial burning, now I guess I’ve known how to delete/replace. But I’m still not sure about this option:
I guess “Remove deleted files from compilation” in multisession options is not preferable, since I cannot always keep files 1-19 on the hard disc.
( Quote: For instance, if you check all these options and remove files 1-19 on the hard disc, replace file 20 on the hard disc, and add files 21-25 on the hard disc, then when Nero refreshes the compilation it will automatically do the same for the CD image so that after the burn your CD will show only the replacement of file 20 along with the new files 21-25. )
So unchecking this option will prevent careless delete.
Am I right?

Sorry for my dimness , I just upgraded to newest version, but still I don’t know how to SORT by name/size/last modified/…in ISO window.

A related question: can I control which file will be burned first? – for instance, I wanna burn a music CD with a favorite play-sequence.

Originally posted by wyf51888
Thanks so much!
You’re welcome.

Originally posted by wyf51888
I’m still not sure about this option:
I guess “Remove deleted files from compilation” in multisession options is not preferable, since I cannot always keep files 1-19 on the hard disc.
<snip>
So unchecking this option will prevent careless delete.
Am I right?
I’m not sure I would call it careless deletion, since the option to automatically delete files (with all the other options) may be exactly what some people desire - those people who want the CD to always mirror exactly what they currently have on the hard disc. But that didn’t sound like what you were trying to do. I read what you wrote as meaning that you want to keep what is on the CD and specifically choose which files to add/update/delete independently of the changes on the hard drive. That is why I suggested the full manual approach.

Originally posted by wyf51888 Sorry for my dimness , I just upgraded to newest version, but still I don’t know how to SORT by name/size/last modified/…in ISO window.

A related question: can I control which file will be burned first? – for instance, I wanna burn a music CD with a favorite play-sequence.
Please don’t apologize. It looks like this was my mistake. I thought you wanted to sort the files in the right-hand-side’s hard disc contents window, which you accomplish by clicking the column headers. The current sort order will be shown by a blue up/down arrow at the top of the column on which sorting is based.

Unfortunately, there is no way to specify ordering in the ISO window (what you are actually burning on the CD) when burning an ISO data CD with Nero. Nero will always put the files in alphabetical order. Thus, if you want to burn a CD of mp3 files to play in a specific order, you have to name the files with prefixes whose alphabetical order matches your desired playing order. For example, 001_my_first_song.mp3, 002_play_it_again.mp3, 003_another_song.mp3.

Alternatively, you can find some programs that will allow you to build an ISO image with the files in your desired order, save the image, and then burn it with Nero. One such tool is MP3BR imager (trialware, $30 registration): http://www.mp3br.com/ A freeware alternative that is not nearly as convenient but still can do the job is Easy ISO by Dirk Paehl. You can get Easy ISO at http://www.dpaehl.de/ . Click the “English Programs” button on the left, and scroll about half-way down the resulting page. (I’d rather not link directly). It used to be available separately, but he now has it bundled together with XPBURN, so look for “XPBURN 1.01 & EASY ISO CREATOR 1.1”

If you are burning a CD-DA disc, you can just drag and drop the songs to put them in whatever order you want.

cfitz

Got it, Thanx, I really appreciate it.

You’re welcome.

cfitz

nice stuff cfitz :bigsmile:

Thanks FutureProof. I appreciate the kind words.

cfitz