Questions about my new GSA-4120B's functions

Hi everyone, I just bought a 4120B Burner 2 days ago, at first I thought that the burner must be so great and far more better than others brand like Liteon. However after I installed Nero Express6 with package and I tried to use a blank Dvd-R to burn my friends Dvd cartoons, I discovered that my 4.7G D-R cannot copy the 7.4G cartoon.

So I want to ask u all smart guys how can I use my new burner’s Double Layer function… I don’t even know to use the internal storage 4.7G function as a harddisk. Do I need 2 Dvd devices in order to read from one and then write to the other? Plz Plz help! 100% thxful > :bow:

You need to use the right media - A DVD+R DL. This hold 9.5 gigs of data wheras the standard DVD± holds 4.7 gigs. Right now they are pricey.

You can burn your cartoon on a 4.7 gid DVD by using a program such as 1Click DVD Copy. Google for the program and download the demo version which will expire after 30 days. Then if you like it, you can buy it.

Here is a review of DVD ripping programs.
http://www.dvd-copy-software-review.com/

You need to use the right media - A DVD+R DL. This hold 9.5 gigs of data wheras the standard DVD± holds 4.7 gigs. Right now they are pricey.

You can burn your cartoon on a 4.7 gid DVD by using a program such as 1Click DVD Copy. Google for the program and download the demo version which will expire after 30 days. Then if you like it, you can buy it.

Here is a review of DVD ripping programs.
http://www.dvd-copy-software-review.com/

If you want to use a single layer disc for backup:

download dvdshrink (freeware).

load the disc, then go to RE-AUTHORING MODE. Coose only the main movie and youe prefered audio stream and back it up. If you need compression below approximately 70% it is btter that you split the movie (use the arrows icon to choose chapters for each part).

If you would like to back all including the menues, you dvdcopy2 by intevideo. However, this one costs money.

hm…does my dvd bruner really have double layer function?

when i want to use the Nero function " Copy entire Dvd" , do i need to save the cartoon into my harddisk? how can i put it into my dvd-ram ??? thx

Double Layer (DL) discs do not hold 9.5 GB, they hold only 8.5 GB, perhaps you are confusing Double Layer with Double Sided.

The GSA-4120B can burn DL discs, as indicated earlier they are far more expensive than regular single layers discs so applying more compression to the content so that it will fit in 4.7 GB is going to save you money.

It is often necessary to copy DVD content on to your hard drive, either between reading and writing stages, or to recompress it.

Double Sided DVD-RAM discs are available, they hold 9.4 GB, 4.7 GB to a side, and each side is independent. The drive can only read ONE side, you have to turn the disc over to read the other side.

To use DVD-RAM discs like a hard drive you must format them to UDF, or FAT32. This requires suitable system software.

Brother Vlad

hey, Dangerous. As i know my 4120B has the DVD-Ram function, so that my writer can hold 4.7GB in it??

Do u mean that the writer contain “Double Sided DVD-RAM discs” in it?
The Ram is in my burner, how can we hold 4.7GB each side in our writer?

I am a super newbi on dvd writers, so plz explain more clearly and don’t be annoying …

I also want to ask how can i format my writer to UDF or FAT32? U mean i format my dvd ram disk or writer?? Hehe…sorry. plz reply.

Hoot…

Oh boy. :wink:
DVD-RAM is a special type of DVD media, not the RAM of your DVD drive.
Same goes with DVD DoubleLayer media, it is a special type of disc, not something your burner can produce “onto” a normal DVD+R or DVD-R.

If you want to copy the cartoon disc without any further work, you will have to buy a special DVD+R DL disc, which will cost about $10.

• Poot -

I would have to say that you READ the articles at videohelp.com and doom9.org before asking such a newbie question. All this has been posted and taken care of years ago. A post like this is nothing but flame bait, and shows you don’t know how to use the search function.
Sorry but it is peeps like you that frustrate those of us who work in the tech field, because have a very difficult time dumbing things down any further then the step by step articles that usually include pictures. Not be rude, but please, next time read some articles before asking something that was answered at least 3 years ago :slight_smile: at least that is when I got my first Pioneer A03
http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/16/59/

here is a quick guide to help you, dunno if I can post it cause I do not post here often, but we shall see. Good luck

oh, well Ranmacanada .It is also my first time to get my 4120B as well.
And i am not working in those "excellent " tech field as you and don’t know those websites like videohelp.com and doom9.org, so that’s why i ask these questions lol >

Even though you emphasis “Not be rude, but please”. We still believe that uar kindness is not very much.

Hi DrangousBro & Puti, why my manual says that the GSA-4120B can have storage of 4.7G Dvd-Ram in it? Ofcourse i know what a Dvd-Ram looks like, but i just asking and discuss with most of the nice ppls how can i use the internal Dvd-Ram function of my new burner.

But a :confused: nyway, it is my fault to ask that silly newbi questions for a newbi of mine.Cheers.

why my manual says that the GSA-4120B can have storage of 4.7G Dvd-Ram in it? Ofcourse i know what a Dvd-Ram looks like, but i just asking and discuss with most of the nice ppls how can i use the internal Dvd-Ram function of my new burner.

… cause you can use 4.7GB DVD-RAM-Discs , there is an elder standard, too, RAM-Discs used less capacity
. . there is NO internal Disc … you have to buy a DVD-RAM like any other media, if
. . you wish to use it … don’t confuse with RAM, like your PC’s memory :slight_smile:

lol, ShivaZ, I thought that there is something like internal “storage of 4.7G” in my burner perform as harddisk, maybe i was confused by the words “Store up to 4.7 GB”
and thx u alot.

I understand that now lol

I thought that there is something like internal “storage of 4.7G” in my burner perform as harddisk

… I saw, so the main thing is you can see clearly now :wink: