Questions about hardware

1.) I have a CD-ROM drive and I just plug the power plug in, no others plugged in… My BIOS didn’t detect it as the IDE cable isn’t plugged in, is this safe? Will it cause conflicts with other hardware? (If you are trying to ask me why am I not plugging the IDE cable in, you can stop asking :bigsmile: !)

2.) Is it safe to unplug a drive’s power plug while the system is on? Will it go “BOOM”? :slight_smile:

Thanks! :slight_smile:

When i just plug the current cable in my drive, i usually do not get to boot at all. The board (Fujitsu-Siemns - yes it sucks) just “thinks” something is qrong with the config and haults the system

I don’t know if it is the same with all other new boards (my 5y old Acom Celeron board doesn’t do that), but if you get past this and boot into the OS, then i see no problem (but i doubt it will be stable).

I know nothing about unplugging while system is on though … too wierd for me :wink:

(and no i won’t ask why you wanna do this :wink: )

1. This should not be a problem (unless you have a weird mobo like Hemispasm :wink: )

2. I would not suggest doing so, it might cause a power peak that can damage your mobo. This does not only apply for power cables, but for (almost) all cables.

Thanks for the replies… :slight_smile:
I guess the only cables that and be unplugged while the system is on is “USB”. :bigsmile:

Originally posted by softwareguy
Thanks for the replies… :slight_smile:
I guess the only cables that and be unplugged while the system is on is “USB”. :bigsmile:

not really , there are a lot of hot pluggable devices these days.

it’s quite safe to plug out cabled devices , if they will ever work again is another issue.