Questions about dvd+rw burning

vbimport

hi,

I am fairly new to concept of burning dvd. I have burned 4 dvds so far , 3 were perfect but the last one wasn’t good. Problems were

1. picture quality- can I change picture quality or does it depend on dvdrip?
  2. kept on skipping/freezing- Is there a program out there that can detect if there are skips in dl or burning? how do I reduce skipping and freezing when burning dvd’s. Btw, I have convertxtodvd.

and lastly
3) How can I erase data from dvd+rw. Can I use convertxtodvd to do that? Do I have to erase data once or multiple times to completely erase everything?
I burned a movie that is 800 MB and the disc I want to erase is a sony dvd+rw 4x 4.7 GB.

My dvd drive is matshita uj 841s - if that helps. thanks in advance.

Hello annalola,
unfortunately you cannot improve the picture quality of video too much. You cannot make a DVD or HD quality video from 700 MB divx or xvid avi source.
Freezing and skipping - most likely because of drive and medium incompatiblity. I had a similar drive and it hates Sony DVD+RW media - it will write them successfully but they are barely readable in all drives.
Did you try another brand of RW media, e.g. Verbatim?
You can erase any RW media in Nero CD-DVD Speed: go to Extra -> Erase Disc -> Quick -> Erase

hi pepst,

Thanks for clearing this up for me. I will check that out!

[QUOTE=annalola;2079342]hi,

I am fairly new to concept of burning dvd. I have burned 4 dvds so far , 3 were perfect but the last one wasn’t good. Problems were

1. picture quality- can I change picture quality or does it depend on dvdrip?
  2. kept on skipping/freezing- Is there a program out there that can detect if there are skips in dl or burning? how do I reduce skipping and freezing when burning dvd’s. Btw, I have convertxtodvd.

and lastly
3) How can I erase data from dvd+rw. Can I use convertxtodvd to do that? Do I have to erase data once or multiple times to completely erase everything?
I burned a movie that is 800 MB and the disc I want to erase is a [B][B]sony dvd+rw 4x 4.7 GB. [/B][/B]

My dvd drive is [B][B]matshita uj 841s[/B][/B] - if that helps. thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Bad media and drive.

Cd-Rw & DVD-RW will NOT work without the Appropriate program, like Neros “In-CD” or Roxios program…
Why in this age of USB pen Drives n Cheep 2.5" HDD + DVDRAM are you still useing RW…It’s NUTS…Get with it.
RWs have never worked properly since they first came out…Still the same now…Got 50 of the Ruddy things in a Tub n only about 4 work…
IN the TUB they’ll stay forever!!!

[QUOTE=MrScary;2082401]Cd-Rw & DVD-RW will NOT work without the Appropriate program, like Neros “In-CD” or Roxios program…
Why in this age of USB pen Drives n Cheep 2.5" HDD + DVDRAM are you still useing RW…It’s NUTS…Get with it.
RWs have never worked properly since they first came out…Still the same now…[B]Got 50 of the Ruddy things in a Tub n only about 4 work[/B]…
IN the TUB they’ll stay forever!!![/QUOTE]

seriously? … i always had generally positive results from RW media (CD or DVD) in general… the only problem i ever had on RW media was with CD-RW which the one’s that failed semi often was the super generic crap named ‘Great Quality’ … but anything decent brand (pretty much any main brand name out there) i generally never had problem with although once i did have the top surface peel back (i.e. dead disc) on a Memorex brand of a CD-RW disc but besides that one single disc all the named discs i used worked fine and still do to this day.

but as people say dont trust RW media in general for long term storage. always use a +/-R :wink:

p.s. even though USB pen drives/hdd’s are getting cheaper, it’s still cheaper to use something like a DVD+RW to backup temporary files (especially if you have alot of files) vs USB thumb drives etc. … but i do agree that for transferring a few files here and there the USB method is more practical cause u just plug it in and transfer and unplug instead of the writing of lead-in/lead-out and writing data and erasing times you have with RW media… so in some cases USB thumb drives are better than +RW and even getting a cheap 20GB external laptop hdd would probably be overall better than RW media for general use assuming you dont have lots of data… so i guess it just depends on what you do as to whats better… but for basic files (nothing to large) i would agree that a USB thumb drive or external laptop hdd is the better choice if you have say a few GB of data that you change/shuffle around often as even though you pay more per GB on a usb thumb drive/external hdd it’s more practical and easier/faster to use vs a RW disc.