Questions about 40125W overclocking

vbimport

Hi, i'm a newbiew in o/c.... just heard that on this site...

My questions are:

a/. any side effect for o/c?
b/. what's difference of o/c ability between 40125W and 40125S?
c/. can 24x o/c to 48x?

thx for all experts' help in this site!!

Suggest you start by reading the several sticky threads on the topic.

a: none reported so far–you are really not overclocking, but unlocking.

b: zero difference–except you get Mt. Rainier with LTR-40125S

c: No Only the LTR-30125W and both LTR-40125 series can go to LTR-48125W

Sorri about my ignorance… other questoins:

if so:

a/. 30125W, 40125W, 40125S are all same quality as 48125W??
that means Lite-on fake us all?

b/. i’m using 40125W… what firmware is the best (stable)?
And what 48x firmware is the best for it (stable and 48x)?

thx for all experts!!!

a: it’s cheaper to have one production line(=all is same hardware) and only limit the recording speed in firmware…

b: 48X recording can hardly be called stable. At least you need good and certified media. Firmware VS02 have performed best for me and fw VS06 have performed best for some others… try for yourself.

Originally posted by raykam
…b/. i’m using 40125W… what firmware is the best (stable)?
I would the latest is the best

A: Not faking, like OC said, cheaper to have one line. Think of it as intel corp.–they lock their chip’s multiplier. A lot of their chips are the same chip, just locked down because it is more profitable. Furthermore, there is a liability issue as well. Lite-on has to honor the drive speed. If a LTR-30125W fails at a 48x burn, then so what, it’s not rated at 48. If a LTR-48125W fails at a 48x burn, then the drive gets returned. Thus, though they are all the same chipset, and what appears to be the same hardware, their liability is limited. Also, the most logical reason for the differece in drive speed–when Liteon released the LTR-30125W, media and firmware was not up to par with the hardware, thus releasing a 48x drive was pointless. As media could handle the faster write speeds, the 40 and 48x came out. As for marketing, it makes sense to have a line of drives 30, 42, and 48 as to keep the price of the 48 higher than the rest. If they only had one drive then there would be price pressure. they also have to compete with other makers, etc.

B: use the lastest from Liteon for your 40125W
I agree with OC on the VS02 and am currently using the VS02 and only switch to VS06 when I burn this specific spindle of cdrs

Hope this helps and you can not learn until you ask…

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: thx to everybody who reply me :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: it helps me a lot!!

by the way… it brings out me other questions:

a/. like what u guys said… if o/c, better to use 30125W than 40125S or W coz neither of them o/c will have no warranty?

b/. what is the limit do u guys think this hardware can go up to? (52x or higher)??

U guys really amazing… i even sometimes think some of u r Lite-on mechanic :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

a: Not sure what you mean, all three drives appear to be the same (The LTR-30125W, LTR-40125S, & LTR-40125W). So they all should overclodk and perform the same–when o/c to the LTR-48125W.

B: This is it as far as this chipset goes. The mediatek “5” series (which is denoted as the last number in all models LTR-3012"5"W, LTR-4012"5"S, etc. is maxed out at 48x. The next series coming this fall is the LTR-4812"6"W series. This mediatek chipset will go up to 52x so far and will do 24 RW on CDRW.

what i mean is…

if i decided o/c, better to buy 30125w coz it is cheaper… but get the same result as 40125w, 40125s and 48125w… isn’t it?

:o