Questions about 40125S

Hello,

I just received my LTR-40125S drive from Newegg.com and successfully installed it in my system. I have some questions though.

When extracting audio from an Audio CD, what is the normal speed it should extract at? So far it has only been extracting at around 19x but I may be expecting too much but is that slow for the drive?

Another question which pertains to the subject of Audio, what is a good writing speed for Audio CD’s ??

I don’t have too much time for tests but I would like my CD’s to come out errorless and in the best quality as possible.

So far this has been a great drive and I hope to be getting familiar with the Mount Rainer feature later on.

I moved up from a HP Cd Writer Plus which maximum burn speed was 2x and worked terribly with CD-RW to this.

what is the normal speed it should extract at?

Depends on the disc you are ripping from, if it’s a good disc you can rip at 40x.

what is a good writing speed for Audio CD’s

As fast as your media will allow. Test a burned CD in CDSpeed, and if there are no errors reported, that’s a good speed. In general, burn at a media’s rated speed, and use the best media you can get.
Forget packet writing, and MRW, and InCD, stick to CDR’s and use multisession if that is appropriate for your needs. While MRW holds promise, it is still not reliable with today’s available writing software. I don’t even install the packet writer on my system, too unstable.

Originally posted by rdgrimes

Depends on the disc you are ripping from, if it’s a good disc you can rip at 40x.

The disc I am ripping from is a commercial CD but since then I have tried a couple other discs and the speed is consistent.

I won’t go higher than 20x.

Just to note, when I start up my computer, it shows that my drive is set to PIO mode if that helps any.

You need to enable DMA to get 40x speeds.

How would I go about doing that?

It is already enabled under Control Panel / System / Device Manager / CD-ROM

It might help if you reveal some information about your system and OS. Many need to have it enabled in system BIOS before the OS can enable it. But if, as you say, it is running in PIO, then it is clearly not enabled.
In Win2k/XP you enable it under the entry for the IDE controller, not the drive entry.

Well my motherboard is an MSI KT3 motherboard using the VIA333 chipet. I have an AMD Duron 1ghz processor with 256mb of RAM. I have 2 hard drives installed, Master: Maxtor 15gb 7200rpm and Slave: Maxtor 30gb 7200rpm. An Nvidia Gforce 3 64mb graphics card. I’m running Windows 98 Second Edition.

I think thats all that can be associated. I don’t know much about my BIOS, just know how to change settings in it but I haven’t seen anything about DMA being enabled in it.

Well, you’re not going to get anywhere with the 40x drive until you figure out how to get DMA working on ALL drives.