Question/suggestions Mac OS X?

vbimport

Alrighty.

I have:

A 1.3GHZ AMD PC with a pioneer 104 and a cheapie DVD reader.

An iMac G4 15" with superdrive (pioneer 104).

On the PC, I rip DVDs with DVDDecryptor. The pioneer 104 drive is an excellent DVD writer, but slow as molasses. I went out and bought a cheap $29 DVDROM drive…and I can now pull DVDs three times faster. Everything is fine.

I downloaded the demo of DVD2oneX. I downloaded DVDbackup1.3 and osex.

When I try and rip a disc on the Mac, it takes forever. On my PC, using the cheap drive, I can pull a dual-layered disc in like 15-20 minutes. On the mac, it was like an hour.

Any suggestions? I’m anxious to try DVD2oneX, but at this rate, the speed is killing me. I’m even thinking about ripping on the PC and transferring the file to the Mac, but I may not gain much in terms of time saved.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

-snart

Hi,
Ok an iMac, with what clock speed and how much RAM :confused:

i’m using a G4 733 with 1.25GB ram.

It takes about 30min to rip after transferring DVD to HD using DVDBackup 1.3

I’d guess your iMac is at least 700MHz

Originally posted by zorgaliscious
[B]i’m using a G4 733 with 1.25GB ram.

It takes about 30min to rip after transferring DVD to HD using DVDBackup 1.3

I’d guess your iMac is at least 700MHz [/B]

I’ve got an 800MHz iMac with 512MB of RAM.

But…i’m not asking about how fast DVD2oneX works.

I’m reffering to the process of actually using DVDBackup1.3 or osex. That’s what takes a really long time.

I never actually tried DVD2oneX. I’m concerned about just transferring the DVD to the hard drive.

I am using a G4 quicksilver 933 Mhz. It takes about 20min, if I am not like browsing the net and using Photoshop at the same time. I have, however 1.5Gig RAM :smiley:

I think you answered your own question. You’re using the Pioneer drive on the iMac to rip? That’s a slow drive for reading. Pick up a 6x ROM drive and a FireWire enclosure. That’ll rip it up.

Originally posted by moegreen
I think you answered your own question. You’re using the Pioneer drive on the iMac to rip? That’s a slow drive for reading. Pick up a 6x ROM drive and a FireWire enclosure. That’ll rip it up.

That’s probably my biggest concern. Will getting a high-speed firewire DVDrom drive do the trick?

Originally posted by snart
[B]

That’s probably my biggest concern. Will getting a high-speed firewire DVDrom drive do the trick? [/B]

It did for me. It can depend on the software and what you’re doing though. For example there’s a modest speed boost when using OSex to do elementary streams. But when you want to do a disk image, OSex on the superdrive is sickly slow. Haven’t tried DVD Backup, but seems inline with OSex.

I picked up a cheap 6x DVD ROM from Dell for like $15 and an external FireWire enclosure for $45 I think. The best part is you can start ripping your next DVD while burning in the DVD-R! :stuck_out_tongue:

thats right… the Superdrive is veeeery slow reading… cause it has 4 or five features at once… It’s a 8x speed cd-r, 1x DVD-R/RW, 2x DVD reading :((

I use DVD Backup to rip to the hard drive. This takes about 15 minutes. Then I use DVD2ONEX to transcode and the speed is fabulous–40 minutes to do a 2 1/2 hour move.

I am really happy, this is on a Mac dual 867 mirror “windtunnel.”

-k