Question regarding Clonecd4.2.0.1

OK, I understand that this version is basically supposed to be able to copy any new version of Safedisc wehter or not you have a compatible writer. I have a few questions though.

In order for a copy to work do we need…

1. to have the PC startup with the Clonecd Tray, or is that just to use the feature of Hide CDR Media so we can play a game in our cdrw rather than a secondary drive

2)is hide CDR Media still greyed out in this version for USA cause I applied the patch to the previous version and I dunno if it carried over in my upgrade

3)Do we need the clone virtual drive enabled to play backed up safedisc games or is that to just test an image

by the way, best regards and congrats to the clonecd team and creator

keep up the great work

When you right mouseclick on the options in CloneCD you get a description of the options. I know this doesn’t answer all your questions but it does explain some things:

[i]Some CDs may contain “weak” sectors, which can’t be written correctly by several CD-Writers.

Ignore:
Weak sectors will be written unmodified.

Amplify:
If this option is selected, CloneCD will modify these sectors in a way the writer can write them correctly. The error correction of any CD-ROM will revert these sectors to their original state.

Emulate:
If this option is selected, CloneCD will emulate these sectors. Any CD-Writer can create working copies with this selection.
Copies created with this option will only work, if CloneCD is installed and HideCDR is enabled.[/i]

I have a LITE-ON LTR-48246S (SS09). I would presume that this burner is able to burn safedisc 2.8 games.

Question 1:When writing images should i ignore weak sectors, or amplify them?

Question 2: What is virtual clonedrive? Is it just a way to check images before burning?

Question 3: What is hide cdr media?, should i leave it unchecked or checked.

CloneCD and SafeDisc 2.80 is still a problem but normally;

Question 1:When writing images should i ignore weak sectors, or amplify them?
Ignore.

Question 2: What is virtual clonedrive? Is it just a way to check images before burning?
You can mount CloneCD images with the CloneDrive. Yes this can help to check images but CloneDrive can also handle ISO images. More information can be found here.

Question 3: What is hide cdr media?, should i leave it unchecked or checked.
Hide CDR Media is used to prevent programs/games from reading the so-called ATIP information from a CD-R(W) disc. How it works is explained here. The latest CloneCD’s Hide CDR Media option also helps playing emulated AWS copies.

Just one more follow up question.

If i was to burn an image without amplifying or emulating weak sectors, would i still need “hide cdr media” activated? presuming that my burner is able to make 1:1 copies.

yes when playing from a cd/rw

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
CloneCD and SafeDisc 2.80 is still a problem

Really? I thought it was fixed in 4.2.0.1 and 4.2.0.2 assuming you have a 2 sheep burner. I don’t have any SD 2.80 titles to check it myself

but if we emulate weak sectors and play in a non cdrw disc, do we still need hide cdr media… that doesnt make sense. and if they are written correctly when amplified, why would one ever need to emulate them. thats the only confusion i have left.

thx all

“Hide cdr media” is for hiding the atip on a cd-r. Pressed disks (originals) dont have atip info on them. That what it is for not hiding weak sectors.

this is atip info from nero cd speed of digi-media black 700mb cd-r’s

Manufacturer : Prodisc
Code : 97m32s19f
Disc Type : CD-R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : Dye Type 9: Short Strategy (Phthalocyanine)
Recording Speed : n/a
Capacity : 79:59.74
703 MB
Additional Capacity : n/a
Overburn Capacity : not tested

Originally posted by xtacydima
[B]but if we emulate weak sectors and play in a non cdrw disc, do we still need hide cdr media… that doesnt make sense. and if they are written correctly when amplified, why would one ever need to emulate them. thats the only confusion i have left.

thx all [/B]

AWS is not working on all writers/readers. If you have a system where AWS is not working then you can emulate. But if you emulate you need hide cdr media to play the game even if you play it from a cd-rom/dvd-rom drive.

sorry if i sound like a total noob, but i have cloneCD4.2.0.1 and i can’t amplify (nor emulate) the weak sectors. i need this for Safedisc V2 with my lite-on LTR-48125W since it can’t do Safedisc V2 without it.

but, i must have the USA version of this, because when i right click on the drive, AWS is grayed out.

and if i were to Edit a profile (Audio CD, Data CD, Game CD, etc) with right click, then AWS is missing completely!!

(it says at the bottom of this page that “AMS” and “EWS” are disabled in the US and japan).

http://www.elby.ch/english/products/clone_cd/manual/profiles.html

am i not seeing the answer in the FAQ? am i just stupid?

:bow:

ok, i found the answer to my question with an “unlock” crack in the FAQ.

i still have 2 other questions.

i see this Q&A

Q I have checked the CloneCD website (elby.ch) and found that my writer has 2 sheep in the EFM column. Should I use AWS when copying SafeDisc 2 protected games anyway?

A No. If you have a 2 sheep EFM writer you don’t need AWS and, what’s more, if you use AWS when you don’t need it, you may well get a coaster. If you have a 2 sheep EFM writer, you should disable AWS permanently from the writer settings page which you can access by right clicking on the name of your writer on the write page when using the program.

my writer has 2 sheep.

i see this in the FAQ:

Q: 5.1. Which Lite-On models could make safedisc 2 backups without aws?
A: These models can’t:

LTR-0841
LTR-12101B
LTR-12101C
LTR-12102C
LTR-16101B

These models (all based on mediatek chipset!) can backup SD2.51+ without AWS (and so you should never activate AWS for these writers!):

LTR-12102B
LTR-16102B
LTR-16102C
LTR-24102B
LTR-24102M
LXR-24101A
and all models with a “3” or higher as 5th digit.

Keep the information coming!! And I’ll update this information when more information and Q and A’s appears!!!

so, i SHOULD be able to do safedisc v2. but i keep making coasters.

also, one last question and i’m done.

my drive came with VS06. will flashing to VS08 fix my problem???

the FAQ also says that i should put mtkflash on a floppy OR put on fat16/32. just want to be sure, since i only have NTFS… i will put this on a floppy. i hope i have a dos boot laying around…

The Lite-On LTR-48125W can do SafeDisc 2 without any problems (not sure on SafeDisc 2.80, only tested it with 2.70). Don’t use AWS because it will make coasters with that option. Use the ignore weak sectors option and when playing from your writer, enable Hide CDR Media. When the weak sectors are ignored during the burn process you can play the back-up from a normal CD-ROM and DVD-ROM without enabling the Hide CDR Media. For my Lite-On LTR-48125W I used the old ‘SafeDisc (2) [no AWS]’ Profile which did the trick.

I’ll give the above Profile a go later tonight. I made a backup of N4S: Hot Pursuit 2 using the default Game Profile on my LTR-24102B and the backup fails in all drives I have tried except the 24102B itself with Hide CDR Media enabled…

Used CCD4202, according to it weak sectors were Ingored…

Unfortunately, even the latest versions of ccd are hit or miss with safedisc 2.8x. With my rig, a ccd copy of NFSHP2 or fifa 2003 will only run from my Ltd-163 and then only with hide on (curious, since the Ltd-163 can’t read an atip).

SafeDisc 2.80 is the first improved SD version since 2.51. :wink:

Originally posted by alexnoe
SafeDisc 2.80 is the first improved SD version since 2.51. :wink:

[off-topic]
Do you know what is improved in this version of SafeDisc?
[/off-topic]

“philamber” wrote:

>
[…]
>

>Unfortunately, even the latest versions of ccd are hit or miss
>with safedisc 2.8x. With my rig, a ccd copy of NFSHP2 or fifa
>2003 will only run from my Ltd-163 and then only with hide on

I think "emulate is ‘stuck’ on in your case. It’s likely a bug and I’d mail Olli about it. Some time ago “AWS” got ‘stuck’ on giving people like me coasters with Lite-Ons

Unfortunately, even the latest versions of ccd are hit or miss with safedisc 2.8x

Very true, the Profile didn’t work either at all, not even with Hide CDR Media on. Even tried reading from my other drive still didn’t work…

Originally posted by ThEÑiGhTcRaWlÊr
[B]

Very true, the Profile didn’t work either at all, not even with Hide CDR Media on. Even tried reading from my other drive still didn’t work… [/B]

Reading isn’t the problem, it’s writing. A ccd image made with cue and burnt with fireburner will work even with sd 2.8x.

Maybe fp’s right and, hopefully his email to olli will bear fruit.