Question regarding audio outputs

vbimport

Hi
I have recently purchased an LG42LF7700 LCD tv. We were told in the shop that it would work with our existing DVD Player/Cinema surround system as it had an audio output other than optical.
However, have since discovered that it is unlikely to be compatible as it only has a digital optical audio output. Is there an adaptor or do we need to purchase a whole new cinema surround system?

What Cinema surround system do you currently have???
and hopefully it’s not and all in one system with your DVD player.

You can buy converters, but I have no experience of their quality or lack thereof. Just be sure to use a good quality optical cable as getting a good connection at each end is critical with optical signals.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=Jacbee58;2488817]
I have recently purchased an LG42LF7700 LCD tv. We were told in the shop that it would work with our existing DVD Player/Cinema surround system as it had an audio output other than optical.[/quote]It has. For analog audio out (stereo only), there are the SCART connectors on the back. You may need an inexpensive adaptor from SCART either to 3,5mm or cinch (depends on the inputs of your audio system).

However, have since discovered that it is unlikely to be compatible as it only has a digital optical audio output. Is there an adaptor or do we need to purchase a whole new cinema surround system?
You can also return the TV and get something else. :wink:

Michael

[QUOTE=touchdown_1;2488821]What Cinema surround system do you currently have???
and hopefully it’s not and all in one system with your DVD player.[/QUOTE]

The cinema surround system is connected with our DVD player (I think they all came together) It’s Panasonic SA-HT340 Home Theatre System.

[QUOTE=Jacbee58;2489088]The cinema surround system is connected with our DVD player (I think they all came together) It’s Panasonic SA-HT340 Home Theatre System.[/QUOTE]

Hi jacbee58,
I have run into a small problem I can’t seem to locate your Theater system any where, the closest I could find was a SC-HT340, as you would need the co-axial ( for Cable/Sat) and then another for conversion to optical audio, I don’t see that here ( there is only one co-ax input),

how ever I do see that the TV has 3 HDMI inputs + Component inputs, so unless your Panasonic has HDMI out, you are sorta stuck using the component jacks ( the SC-HT340 has component video/audio on the rear).

Don’t know what your budget is, but if you do upgrade, get a surround system, with HDMI ( at least 2 TV-DVD out), then you could by pass the optical all together, and still get superb A/V.

Also your Cable/Sat receiver would need a HDMI jack ( my guess though is that it is a coax). hope I am not confusing you, but let me tell you how mine is set up.

My Sat. reciever has a HDMI jack that goes to my stereo receiver,
the back of my stereo receiver has three HDMI jacks, so now one is used ( from sat. receiver),
there is an out HDMI jack that then goes to the TV.
then the final HDMI goes from the back of the DVD player out to the last HDMI on the stereo receiver for DVD playback.

In your case, your cable/sat.would go from coax to coax on your stereo,(unless it does have a HDMI jack) then a HDMI on your stereo to your TV and the last HDMI from your DVD to TV.

I guess, the question is:
How get the audio signal from the TV to a device with better audio than the built.in speakers.

And since most connectors of that TV are inputs, there seem to be indeed only the optical audio out and one of the SCART connectors that might serve the purpose. (I am neglecting the phones connector here).

The options are

[ul]
[li] ditch the TV (back to vendor)
[/li][li] replace the AV receiver (home theater thingy/whatever) by a new model with optical audio input. Reading the TV’s manual (I looked only onto the connectors diagram) carefully before buying anything is mandatory!
[/li][li] get an inexpensive SCART -> Cinch adapter and feed the AV receiver with a stereo signal.
[/li][/ul]

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2489132]I guess, the question is:
How get the audio signal from the TV to a device with better audio than the built.in speakers.

And since most connectors of that TV are inputs, there seem to be indeed only the optical audio out and one of the SCART connectors that might serve the purpose. (I am neglecting the phones connector here).

The options are

[ul]
[li] ditch the TV (back to vendor)[/li][li] replace the AV receiver (home theater thingy/whatever) by a new model with optical audio input. Reading the TV’s manual (I looked only onto the connectors diagram) carefully before buying anything is mandatory![/li][li] get an inexpensive SCART -> Cinch adapter and feed the AV receiver with a stereo signal.[/li][/ul]

Michael[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, on the OP’s stereo there is no Scart connection, his best bet would be an upgrade on the stereo ( if it’s within his budget), but one with HDMI jacks, you don’t need optical audio with HDMI.

http://bargainoffers.com/catalog/panasonic-scht340-multi-region-code-free-home-theater-system-p-1220.html

[QUOTE=touchdown_1;2489136]Unfortunately, on the OP’s stereo there is no Scart connection, [/QUOTE]The Euro version has. And there is an Aux-In that can be fed by the TV’s Scart using an adapter for 5 Euro.
What is really required, that is reading the SC-HT340 manual. There is even a box with the headline
[B]“To play audio from your television through your home theater system”[/B]

his best bet would be an upgrade on the stereo ( if it’s within his budget), but one with HDMI jacks, you don’t need optical audio with HDMI.
The TV does not have a HMI out (curious: is there any TV that has?), so a new stereo with HDMI is of no additional use for the purpose of the thread starter.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2489145]The Euro version has. And there is an Aux-In that can be fed by the TV’s Scart using an adapter for 5 Euro.
What is really required, that is reading the SC-HT340 manual. There is even a box with the headline
[B]“To play audio from your television through your home theater system”[/B]
The TV does not have a HMI out (curious: is there any TV that has?), so a new stereo with HDMI is of no additional use for the purpose of the thread starter.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Hi Michael,
if you look in post #6 you will note that I make no mention of 3 HDMI OUT jacks on the TV,[B]the OUT I am referring to are a stereo receiver [/B] personally I don’t think there is any thing wrong with the TV.

The Op was asking about optical audio, now I am not in Europe,and I don’t doubt that there is a manual for the stereo system and yes it should be read .
How ever I was under the impression that he wanted to take advantage of the qualities that optical audio would provide which the TV offers, midders had suggested a converter, but the stereo lacked a second coax jack, so the converter mentioned would not work, unless he used a splitter, again not sure that would work either.

The OP was also questioning whether or not he should just upgrade, and in my opinion, yes that would be the logical thing to do if you wish to take advantage of what the TV has to offer which is the HD + stereo surround to it’s fullest capabilities.

HDMI will do this with out a doubt.

Tim

Hi,[QUOTE=touchdown_1;2489158]
if you look in post #6 you will note that I make no mention of 3 HDMI OUT jacks on the TV,[B]the OUT I am referring to are a stereo receiver [/B] personally I don’t think there is any thing wrong with the TV.[/quote]Ok, if the stereo had a HDMI_out, then he could transmit the picture information digitally to the TV (using its HDMI_in). But this is a one-way route, since he can’t transmit the digital audio signal from the TV to the stereo (since the TV has “HDMI_in” only). And this is, what the OP wants: transfer audio from TV to Stereo in order to have better sound.

The Op was asking about optical audio, (…)
I understood the question differently. Just getting the sound from TV to Stereo. I guess, if the TV had a pair of RCA plugs, he wouldn’t have asked the question :wink:

How ever I was under the impression that he wanted to take advantage of the qualities that optical audio would provide which the TV offers,
Me not (see above).
Agreed, with that stereo, there is no way to make use of the digital audio signal from the TV since it can only handle analog audio.

If the analog signal is sufficient (I guess it is since TV audio is no high quality), then some cheap adapters help with getting that signal to the stereo. Analog signal.

If the OP does want to use the digital audio connection his TV offers, then he needs a Receiver/Stereo/Whatever, that has a working optical digital audio input.

HDMI will do this with out a doubt.
The TV has no HDMI_out, so this feature is of limited use here.

Well, let’s wait until the OP comes back and could specify more detailled, what he wants. :slight_smile:

Michael

The TV has no HDMI_out, so this feature is of limited use here.

Yes the TV has no HDMI out.
but HDMI provides for a A/V transfer

But agreed, :iagree: let’s wait for the OP to respond to see in which direction he/she wish’s to go.
:smiley:

Maybe something like this?..
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011406&p_id=4631&seq=1&format=2

Guess will wait(for the OP) and see!..

Hi t0nee1,
Yeah I don’t know if it would be worth the cost , the system the OP was referring to already has component A/V and the TV has component A/V, so I don’t think his/ her resolution would change with the converter to HDMI.
But again it’s the OP’s choice.
just offering my two cents…:slight_smile:

Thank you all for your replies… they have been useful… just need to wait till my hubby comes home to try them… although I did go into the shop I purchased the tv from and they suggested a SCART to Phono lead ??? Which I guess is the same as the converter that some of you have been talking about? It seems like the LG tvs are the only ones that don’t have Audio Out (apart from the optical audio out) so we may have to think about returning the set for one that has it just to simplify things… Thanks anyway…!:flower:

QUOTE=Jacbee58;2490314 I did go into the shop I purchased the tv from and they suggested a SCART to Phono lead ??? [/quote]:iagree: From Scart (TV) to Aux (Stereo).

Which I guess is the same as the converter that some of you have been talking about?
No. Just a simple adapter. If you already have connected your TV with the Stereo using a (fully wired) Scart cable, then you already have anything. The “trick” is described in the manual of your Stereo.

It seems like the LG tvs are the only ones that don’t have Audio Out (apart from the optical audio out)
Audio out should be provided via Scart.

Michael