Question Re DVD LAB

vbimport

Hi there I have a two part question. First off I have a number of vids in various formats that I want to put on DVD-R. I haven’t had any problems coverting them however my question with respect to DVD LAB is that once you have imported the mpeg’s, is it possible to store more than 4.5 GB worth of info on the disc and then compile the DVD and then compress it with DVD Shrink. I noticed in the bottom right hand corner of DVD LAB you can toggle between DVD 5 (which is a normal 4.5 single sided disc) and DVD 9 (which is a double sided disc). I tried making a project with the setting on DVD 9, complied it and tried to burn it with DVD Shrink but DVD Shrink would never go beyond the analyzing segment. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Second question, is it worthwhile to convert an mpeg 1 to mpeg2? Will there be any noticable quality improvments?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello does anyone please have any suggestions or can anyone point me towards the answer. Thanks

There is no reason why you cant make a dvd bigger than 4.3gb and then use Shrink to compress it back to fit to a dvdr. However Shrink doesnt like VCD and SVCD MPEgs simply authored to a dvdr. SVCD authored to dvd are NOT compliant dvd’s and Shrink would reject them.

Converting MPEG1 to MPEG2 will NOT increase its quality (actually a slight decrease) but may increase its playability on DVD Players. I use MainConcept to do my MPEG1 to MPEG2 conversions.

Hey C Man thanks for the reply. I actually managed to make a project approx 7.73GB in DVD LAb and was able to use DVD Shrink. I think the problems I was having earlier were linked to a corupt MPEG file.

Also thanks for the heads up re the coversion of mpeg1 to mpeg2. At least I won’t waste any time coverting those.

Thanks for you help. I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Dplaya

I’m having a problem with DVD-Lab chapters playing back properly on Sony, Philips and now Apex DVD players. When I clicked on a chapter, I’ll hear audio, but the video won’t appear. Will clicking on Frame Indexing work for to improve chapter accuracy? I produce wedding videos as a sideline business and this problem is driving me nuts because I may have lost potential business as a result. I’m reluctant to change to another DVD authoring software due to cost and the potential for introducing more problems/issues that I would have to handle. I am comfortable with DVD-Lab and I don’t have the time to learn another DVD authoring tool at this time. Thanks.

Tom H.

Yes, absolutely. I use DVDLab Pro it it does it automatically. Just takes a few minutes.

Do you think using Frame Indexing will eliminate the playback of audio but no video problem that’s occurred when clicking on chapters on certain DVD players I mentioned above? Thanks.

Tom H.

Someone in another forum suggested checking the resolution, bitrate and GOP structure to ensure I have a DVD within spec. I use TMPGenc and I would have to check my settings. Any thoughts?

Tom H.

In Tmpgenc, go to the GOP tab, and click the “Standard” button. Put a tick mark in the “close GOP” box.
This will insure that it’s totally compliant.
As long as you’re using the DVD template, the video will be compliant, but there’s always ONE that messes up and creates severe hair loss, lack of sleep and other frustrations :wink:
When you do a chapter jump, and you get audio but no video, it can be from a mixed assets source in the same VTS, from a player that just can’t read your burns properly, poor media, non-standard video aspect, or a number of other things.
Without knowing exactly what your source properties are, and what tmpgenc settings you used, what you use to transcode audio, how it’s authored, etc., there’s no way to tell.

DVD template? VTS? I am using DVD-Lab standard. Do those exist in DVD-Lab Pro? Here are the settings for TMPGenc that I’ve been usingP

For Audio:

Streamtype: MPEG-1 Audio Level 1
Sampling Frequency: 48000 hz
Bitrate: 192 kbits/sec

For Video:

GOP Structure: IBBPBBPBBPBBPBBP
720 x 480 pixels
Rate Control Mode: Constant Bitrate (CBR)
Bitrate: 4000 kbits/sec
Motion Search Precision: Motion Estimate Search (Fast)

I believe I will have to change to VBR. Any suggestions or recommended changes? Thanks for the help.

Tom H.

VBR isn’t necessary, but is recommended.
The DVD template I’m referring to is in the tmpgenc wizard.
VTS is in DVDLab. If a movie has a different aspect ratio, or different audio than another, it must be in it’s own separate VTS. In other words, you cannot mix assets in one VTS on a DVD.
If you intend to do this as a business, I suggest you learn a LOT more about DVD structure, and how to make things compliant.
You cannot just encode a file to mpeg-2 (or mpeg-1) and author it.
You need to understand VTS’s, pre and post commands, menu structure, mpg and audio compliance, AC3 transcoding, etc.
I also suggest you get a faster encoder, such as Canopus Procoder Express or Mainconcept. Learn how to do audio separately from the video encoder, and encode to elementary streams.
You should also learn how to use a good NLE.

Thanks for the info. I’ve been editing to tape using the Amiga Video Toaster/Flyers system for years and changed over to the Video Toaster NT3 system in 2003 for the NLE. I tried Adobe 6.5 Premier that came with the Matrox RTX-100, but didn’t like it and I feel alot more comfortable using the VT’s editing software which is alot easier to use. I thought I had the basics down on DVDs and relied on some suggested settings to get me by. Looks like I still have a lot to learn. I do all this part-time so it’s hard to keep up with everything.

Tom H.

Reboot,

I assume that for NTSC DVDs, the I, B and P settings are 1, 5 and 2, respectively and that the Output Retrieval of Sequence Header is set at 0. I assume the Detect Scene Change box is checked and the Max Number of Frames in a GOP is 0. I assume the Force Picture type setting box is unchecked. At the Advanced tab, is the field order set to field B?

Tom H.

Tom H.

Never mind about my last post. I’ll just use the DVD template as you suggested above and go to the GOP tab, click the “Standard” button and put a tick mark in the “close GOP” box. I recall the template sets the bitrate to 6000. Someone told me that may be too high and some DVD players can’t handle that bitrate. He recommended I try 4000 which I have been using for some time. Have you tried setting the bitrate to 4000 and had any success at that rate? Thanks.

Tom H.

Regarding the chapter problem (audio, but no video when a chapter is selected): I’ve had chapter playback problems with mostly Sony, Philips and now Apex DVD players. I use TMPGenc 2.5 to convert an AVI file (created by the Video Toaster NT3) to an m2v file. I also use TMPGenc 2.5 to convert the associated WAV file to an mp2 file. I’ve been told that mp2 is not the way to go and that I need to use AC3 instead. I import those files into DVD-Lab and do my authoring from there. I’ve obtained good results with Ritek DVD+Rs bitset to (DVD-ROM) using BS41 firmware on a Lite-On 1633s drive and I now use Kprobe 2 to ensure I only send out only acceptable DVDs. As for TMPGenc settings, I had not been clicking on the Standard button at the GOP tab and clicking on the “close GOP” box. Could this have contributed to non-standard video?
I’ve been using a bitrate of 4000. As for a mixed assets source in the same VTS, I use the mp2 and m2v files, and a jpeg image for the background behind the chapters instead of using DVD-Lab’s default background. I recall I hadn’t clicked on the frame index box before compiling the DVD that had the chapter problem. I need to buy one of the problem players to check out any future DVDs I produce to see if I eliminated the chapter problem. Thanks for all the help.

Tom H.

Reboot,

Please note the TMPGenc settings I noted above to see what some of my TMPGenc settings are.

Tom H.

Someone told me that may be too high and some DVD players can’t handle that bitrate. He recommended I try 4000 which I have been using for some time.

You’ve been misled.
Most dvd players can easily handle 8000kbps, and only start freaking out when bitrate peaks over 9000. I regularily set max at 8000, average at 7000, and min at 6000, using VBR 2 pass.
Your GOP settings should be fine. Some players MUST have a closed GOP, which is why I suggested that. It may, or may not help, depending on the player.
AC3 is the DVD spec for audio. Although most players can handle mp2 and lpcm, not all can play it properly. Generally, if the player can also play mp3’s, then mp2 seems to be OK.
Get Ffmpeggui and use it to transcode all audio to 48khz 224kbps AC3. Import the AC3 into dvdlab, instead of the mp2. Tmpgenc is notorious for spitting out crappy audio, after all, it IS a video encoder. Audio isnt’ it’s forte. Even ffmpeggui’s AC3 can be problematic. Make sure you get the latest version. If you have tmpgenc’s audio player (buried in the tmpgenc folder, with no shortcut to it), you can use it to transcode to AC3. It does a much better job.
Your media, and method of burning are exactly what I use with no troubles.

I tried VBR 2 pass and it took twice as much time than CBR, but if it will improve my DVDs, so be it. As for a higher bitrate, I will have to cut back on how much I can put on a DVD. I’ve been averaging about 1 1/2 hours on a DVD so it looks like I’ll have to cut down to possibly 1 hr and 15 minutes. I was concerned that the skipping/freezing problems were due to a higher bitrate, but now I know that media quality and the right firmware for my DVD drive make the difference. I’ve noticed improved burns using BS41 and Riteks I bought from a local Office Depot (with the Office Depot label) and I’m seeing numbers PI and PIF numbers below 280 and 4 respectively. I bought DVDs from Sam’s and I encountered problems with all of them (Fuji and Verbatim) after running Kprobe2. I noticed terrible numbers with Taiyo Yuden disks from one site (they may have been fakes). I won’t buy them anymore. I have a Sony drive, but it doesn’t do bitsetting so that’s why I tried a Lite-On drive (1633s - I’ve read mixed reviews on that drive) because the drive can bitset with software I downloaded from Lite-On. I delivered a video over a week ago and I didn’t notice any skipping or freezing as had been reported to me in the past especially when fast forwarding. Are you suggesting that I can find the AC3 transcoder in the TMPGenc 2.52 folder and use it for transcoding instead of relying on the pull-down menu which only transcodes to mp2? Or just use Ffmpeggui (another new utility to me) for transcoding to AC3? Thanks for all the help you folks have provided. I did all my editing with the Amiga Video Toaster/Flyer for years, but going to editing on a PC and all the issues of authoring on DVDs has been frustrating. Thank goodness for the helpful people in this and other Forums I’ve been visiting for help. I appreciate all of your support.

Tom H.

If you purchased tmpgenc dvd author, or a couple of their other products, it comes with a player, called, “TMPGEncSoundPlayer.exe”
It can transcode audio to AC3.
If you haven’t got it, just use ffmpeggui (free) to transcode audio.
You should have no trouble with the lite-on bitset to dvd-rom.
Media can make a huge difference, but again, that will depend more on the player, than the recorder. On my cheap stuff, I can record using noname -R blanks at 4x on my 451s @ 832s, and 8x on +R’s…everything plays.

Thanks again for the reply. I just lost a job and it may have been due to the chapter problem (she had a problem playing a chapter on her Sony). I sent her another DVD that I checked out using Kprobe 2 on the 2nd DVD I sent her, but am not sure if that had a problem either. The couple in the video loved it so it’s frustrating to find out when that same video didn’t play back properly in a potential client’s DVD player. I will check disks using Kprobe 2 from now on. It’s like playing Russian roulette when I send out demo DVDs. I’ve played some of my wedding DVDs on different players and wasn’t sure if it was the player or my settings, drive, or firmware if a problem occurred when a DVD didn’t play back properly. I might end up re-encoding/re-authoring my best demo DVD using the new TMPGenc settings.

Tom H.