Question on ripping time

vbimport

I have an 811s with the HS0K firmware. My system is quite slow which is a P3 1Ghz with 1Gig Memory. When I use DVDShrink, it takes about an hour or so to rip a DVD movie. I use Deep Analysis first and then backup if there is any compression that has to be done. Is that what I would expect from this system? What is your average ripping time? Thanks!!

Sounds about right. Analysis and decrypting are CPU-driven, drive speed isn’t so much of a factor. I get times of around 30-45min depending on the movie size.

Thanks for the reply. I should have given the rate which I listed below.

The average rate I get when encoding with compression is between 1200 to 1400 KB/s. This is after doing deep anaylsis already. When encoding without compression, I get about 4500 KB/s. BTW, I use the latest DVDshrink 3.1.4 version.

Is this normal or is there anything I could do short of upgrading my computer?

sounds about right. With no compression, you should get pretty close to your drive’s max reading speed and a solid green light on the drive . If you want to test the drive alone, just run CDSpeed’s transfer rate test on the movie disc.

I usually RIP the whole disc to HD before dvdshrink it. I don’t think it makes it any faster, but that way your burner got less work to do. At least it does not need to be spinning for 1 hour.

I agree with rdgrimes, your times do sound about right for that CPU speed with DVDShrink.

Just as an idea if you want to save time.
I usually use the AnyDVD/CloneDVD method. It doesn’t need the time cosuming analysis phase and imho looks as good if not better then DVD Shrink. From start to finish it usually takes about 25-35 minutes.

Ssseth,

Compared to DVDshrink and Nero, how much time do you save using AnyDVD/CloneDVD? BTW, what is your system like?

Thanks.

Using DVDShrink and Nero 6 with no compression and burning at 4x takes 19-20mins…

With compression (Deep Analysis) takes 40mins…

Hallo, when I use AnyDVD and DVDShrink for rip and compress a dvd my system takes about 2 hours. I 've seen that the rip velocity was ‘blocked’ at 2.7 kb/sec and I think it is too much slow. Can you say me if exists a procedure to unblock the ripping ?!?

Thanks

Originally posted by Ed_Bunker
[B]Hallo, when I use AnyDVD and DVDShrink for rip and compress a dvd my system takes about 2 hours. I 've seen that the rip velocity was ‘blocked’ at 2.7 kb/sec and I think it is too much slow. Can you say me if exists a procedure to unblock the ripping ?!?

Thanks [/B]

Might help if you tell us what drive is doing the ripping.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Might help if you tell us what drive is doing the ripping.

Sorry…:bow: , I’ve used Liteon 451s to rip and compress (but also with the dvd reader lg 8160b the rip velocity was the same, 2.7 kb/s).

thks

Originally posted by Ed_Bunker
[B]Sorry…:bow: , I’ve used Liteon 451s to rip and compress (but also with the dvd reader lg 8160b the rip velocity was the same, 2.7 kb/s).

thks [/B]

That cannot be right.

DVD=4.37GB (4,582,00 KB)
@2.7KB/s
it would take 470 hours (19 days).

:confused: :confused: I don’t understand: dvdshrink show me 2.7 and the whole procedure takes 2 hours. Some friends with Pioneer A06 or other burners do the same thing in only 35/40 minutes.

???

Are you sure it doesn’t say 2.7MB/sec?
You sure the drive is working in DMA mode?
List you computer specs please.

Originally posted by Ssseth
Are you sure it doesn’t say 2.7MB/sec?
You sure the drive is working in DMA mode?
List you computer specs please.

Sorry the speed wasn’t 2.7 Kb/s but 2.777 Kb/s and therefore about 2,71 Mb/s.
I think it is really slow… or not !!!

thks

Doesn’t it depend on how much compression is being used and also the speed of the cpu? I riun DVD shrink off files on my harddrive, but it still takes just as long. I have a slow Athlon at 1.2 GHz so using deep analysis it takes over 2 hours to finish.

I have used DVDshrink (compressing from 100% of the original dvd to a 81%) using also the ‘option’ of deep analysis: the whole procedure has taken two hours.
(The Cpu is an Athlon 1.4 Ghz)
Don’t you think it is too much ?!?

How long would the process take with a 3.2 GHZ CPU?

On my system, DVDShrink takes about 40min to Deep Analysis, Encode and then Burn at 4x…

It may just as well be your system: CPU speed, mem speed, FSB, drives (both HD and DVD)…

My system specs are in my signature…

Originally posted by Hypnosis4U2NV
[B]On my system, DVDShrink takes about 40min to Deep Analysis, Encode and then Burn at 4x…

It may just as well be your system: CPU speed, mem speed, FSB, drives (both HD and DVD)…

My system specs are in my signature… [/B]

Sorry, can You tell me the speed swohn by DVDShrink ?

thks