Question on reinstallation disks - CD or DVD? (HP z560 )

[qanda]This thread is about the HP Digital Entertainment Center z560 - Pentium D 925 3 GHz. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]hi.
when i bought my hp computer i was given the chance to make reinstall disks. the option was 2 dvd disks or 5 cd’s. i thought it best to burn the dvd’s. the problem is if i run the windows program “sfc /scannow” it prompts me to insert the install cd. not dvd. can you transfer two dvd’s of windows xp onto cd now?
thanks if you can help.

What are you trying to do? are you trying to make backup disks for your machine in the event of a crash?

Why are you running sfc? Are you having problems? If you have the I386 folder in your Windows folder you can change a registery key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
CurrentVersion\Setup

On the right you should see “Source Path”, double click it and change the path to C:\windows

It’s probably set to your CDrom now.

You have to reboot.

hi. i have had my system hit by trojans they took out some files. to reinstall the files i ran sfc /scannow which found missing files but only looks for a cd not my dvd install disks.

hi. i did as you said i went into the registry local machine ect and changed the source path to c:\windows\i385. but it still asked for the cd.

[QUOTE=nivlem;2223978]hi. i did as you said i went into the registry local machine ect and changed the source path to c:\windows\i385. but it still asked for the cd.[/QUOTE]

No, you only need “c:\windows” without the quotes, nothing else, but be sure you have the I386 folder in C:\Windows first.