Question on Media Detection

vbimport

I have not burned discs in over 2 months and I know I had the following problem when I first used DvDFab at that time. I figured this out then, but I can’t remember what I did to fix it. Anyway, here’s the problem.

After choosing full disc I am prompted to insert a blank disc. After doing so a dialog box pops up saying “No media Detected”. I have a disc in and click on “OK” but it just keeps coming up and will not burn.

I burned alot of discs a few months ago so I know my system and drive works. Using DvD-9 for this one and select that as the media. Using Verbatim DvD-DL9. Had no problems in the past after I figured out how to get past this dialog box to burn,

I searched but nothing addresses this problem. It is not a drive/media/driver problem, there was something I had to do to get the damn thing to go ahead and burn. I use VSO to burn lots of stuff without problems and was burning lots of stuff with DvDFAB as well. This program worked perfectly just 6 weeks ago when I knew what I needed to do to get it to burn. I’ve forgotten what I did though. I know it was something simple but just don’t remember. Any help is appreciated. Again, there was something I had to do to get past this crazy dialog box that says it can’t see the media, but it was simple if I remember that much.

Ok, I guess I can answer my own question after trying again a few times.

I had tried to burn a full copy at first. Thats when I got the NO MEDIA DETECTED box and could not get past it. I then tried another disc with same result. Then I closed out FULL COPY and tried to burn with these same 2 discs from the VIDEO_TS folder I had saved to. Same Result.

Then I found that the 2 discs I was using I had at some point in the past noted as not burning brand new out of the box, why they would not burn I have no idea. Bad discs I guess, they still would not burn and just gave the No Media Detected error.

I thought what the hell I will try another disc out of the new disc box. Voila, DvDFAB saw the disc and commenced the burn of the VIDEO_TS folder. After a short time, I tried the disc in a DVD player and there it is, playing as it should.

I guess even though Verbatim discs are supposedly the best to use, when it comes to the DvD9-DL discs, there are some bad ones in some of there new boxes. I have never had a bad disc when using Verbatim DVD-5 to burn.

Just an FYI,
You might want to check the label on the spindle for the manufacturer’s location. Verbatim DL’s are: MIS (made in Singapore) and MII (made in India). MII DL’s are notoriously inconsistent. If you have these, you can expect more failures/marginal or bad burns.

Sadly, the days of feeling secure when buying Verbatim DL media are gone. Now, you absolutely have to check the label. This sure puts a damper on online purchases.
Sorry for the bad news…:sad:

Hi Maine,

Sadly it is happening to a lot of products. Stuff turning to junk because of costs! :sad::a

That’s not surprising. I checked the spindle with a magnifying glass and found --7210 804 RA FB B4 11961-- stamped on the clear inside part of the disc. Couldn’t find anything that was MIS or MII. All I know is that out of a 15 pak I have 4 that won’t work. That type of failure rate is pretty bad considering the cost of the pack of discs. Thanks for the info, I will be on the lookout for the better ones.

Download DVD Identifier or VSO Inspector - both free. These will identify your discs with ease and are great tools to have.
I have got into a discipline now of buying smallish spindles, running one or two through one of the progs, and only when I know what and where and what the discs are and from, going back and then buying more. Don’t leave it to long before going back as a new batch might be different.
Check out the programs they are invaluable for assisting your burn success.

[QUOTE=rlb131;2061235]That’s not surprising. I checked the spindle with a magnifying glass and found --7210 804 RA FB B4 11961-- stamped on the clear inside part of the disc. Couldn’t find anything that was MIS or MII. All I know is that out of a 15 pak I have 4 that won’t work. That type of failure rate is pretty bad considering the cost of the pack of discs. Thanks for the info, I will be on the lookout for the better ones.[/QUOTE]
As far as the spindles of DL verbs…you have to look on the outside label…the circumferential label that wraps around the plastic case covering the spindle. The idea here, of course, is to ID the MID before you purchase.

StirlingMac makes some excellent points and I agree with recommending both utlities. One more for your toolbox is nero cd-dvd speed. It will give you lots of info and make available a number of tools to test ODDs and media. It’s free…there’s a link in my sig.

Hope this helps.