Question on Liteon official firmware

vbimport

"Customers, please be aware, that LiteON IT will no longer provide services to the products that have been " Illegally Firmware Upgraded “, such as flashing to other models’ firmware.”

what does this mean? Btw, is it a good idea to upgrade my cross flashed 822s@832s with the official firmware from liteon? :bow:

That mean you lost your warranty, if you choose to crossflash.

If you are satisfied with burn quality, no need to flash.

You can also search the forum, and look at others forum members results, with the new firmware.

Or try the new firmware. make som test and decide to stay or go back to ols firmware.

i reset my eeprom and the restults were 1000 PIF and over 30,000 PI on my dvd+r and dvd-r with 100 PI in average. Is that usual becuase before i reset it, the PI average was 6 or less for my DVD-r and less than 30,000 PI on my dvd+r burns.

no, that’s not good!

after reseting the eeprom your burner will have to go through the learning prosses again so the first few burns can be bad but should improve. if not you can flash you back-up eeprom back to the drive.

ok, here is what i have done. 1. use the hacked 832s firmware and turn my 822s into 832s. 2.download the official 832s from Liteon website and upgrade.

So my question is: is that a good idea? the website say it no longer provide services to the products that have been " Illegally Firmware Upgraded ", does that means customer support or the firmware support?

Flashing a hacked/patched firmware voids your warranty and technically removes your priveleges to receive technical support from LiteOn (for that specific drive).

how long will it take? 7 burns? :confused: It seem to be very bad at burning dvd-rs after cross flashing and then flashing it again with the official 832s firmware. :a Now my yudens have burned just as bad as my cmcs did a month ago. :a(PIF total=500) :sad:

they should improve after 3 or 4 burns. if not you might be best reverting your drive back. you did back-up your original firmware and eeprom didn`t you?

also instead of posting, pif total=500 you would be better posting the full graph. just click the disc symbol and save as png file.

here is my cmc scan…and yuden scan

and the problem with thouse two scans is?

theres people who would love to get scans like that. they are fine.

i would be very happy if my 1633s could make such burns…

A picture speaks a thousand words. In this case it says 1.perfect, 2.brilliant…1000.amazing. :slight_smile:

Now leave the drive alone and enjoy your excellent results… :wink:

:slight_smile: :rolleyes: :bow: :cool: :cop: :stuck_out_tongue: :a :wink: :Z :smiley: :confused: :o :eek: :iagree: :bigsmile: :frowning: :sad:

For the following recommendations to be true K-Probe must be set to 8 ECC PI/PO sum while scanning and preferably scanned by a Lite-On DVD-Writer (in other words NOT a DVD-ROM or Combo!).

Scan Speed: 4x Fixed
PI Max: No More than 280
PIF Max: No More than 32

Use this as a guideline for good discs:
PI (Parity Inner): No larger areas on the disc should exceed 280 PI errors, do not worry too much about high single spikes that exceeds 280.

PO (Parity Outer): No larger areas on the disc should exceed 32 PO (actually

PI uncorrectable) errors, do not worry too much about high single spikes that exceeds 32. (Note that this is not completely correct according to the standards, but is still a good guideline, read the first technical post if you wonder why this is not a 100% correct way of reading the results compared to the standards).

Notice that there are other aspects such as disc reflectivity, jitter, tracking errors and so on that also will affect the readability of a DVD disc – but for this we do not have measuring equipment available.

And another note is that we normally scan/recommend scanning the discs at 4X CLV speed since this saves time compared to 2X/2.4X and 1X scanning and still offers CLV reading, but by lowering the speed to 2X(DVD-R/RW)/2.4X(DVD+R/RW) or 1X the amount of reported errors may drop on some discs.
Also using Nero CD/DVD-Speed to do a transfer rate test with a picky DVD-ROM (JLMS XJ-HD165H for example) and see if the reading speed drops is a good indication of the quality of the disc.

A written CD-R disc will always have some C1 errors; C1 errors are easily corrected by the drive’s error correction capabilities. The next level of errors is C2, while C2 errors could also be corrected by most drive’s error correction capabilities; they are not wanted on a good quality disc. A good disc should not contain any C2 errors, and preferably have an average C1 error amount of below 2.0 for the best discs, or at least below 10.0 average for good quality discs. After C2 errors there are only un-correctable errors that will make a disc unusable.

thank you guys for the compliments :bigsmile: , but all those were burned at 4x. and they have very nasty splotches of discoloration. :eek: mostly near the center of the disc.