Question On DVD Fab Calling Home

I’ve noticed that when I allow dvd fab platinum to check for updates, it sends & receives network traffic for a really long time. I don’t know just how long, as I’ve forcibly stopped it after a couple minutes each time.

Normally, when a program is checking for updates, it takes 10 seconds or so to validate the program key & see if there’s a new version.

Fengtao, just what information is Platinum sending & receiving that takes so long? I purchased the program & have a legitimate key.

Hey Moo does it really matter? Why worry. Most software that you have in the computer does it too including your OS.

You can disable it in Common Settings.

Wireshark will tell you what it’s doing.

Matter of fact, I’ll check it out now :slight_smile:

Edit: Yeah, that is the most boring conversation between an app and a server, ever. It’s doing a check, a very very simple check, and that’s it.

[QUOTE=jeradc;2034460]Wireshark will tell you what it’s doing.

Matter of fact, I’ll check it out now :slight_smile:

Edit: Yeah, that is the most boring conversation between an app and a server, ever. It’s doing a check, a very very simple check, and that’s it.[/QUOTE]

jeradc, if you have the skills to read the conversation (I don’t), why does it take over 2 minutes? I’m on a 6mb connection.

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2035572]jeradc, if you have the skills to read the conversation (I don’t), why does it take over 2 minutes? I’m on a 6mb connection.[/QUOTE]

no idea, all it’s doing is grabbing this file:

http://dvdfab.com//update_check_dvdfab.ini

What makes you think it’s doing anything else?

[QUOTE=jeradc;2035693]no idea, all it’s doing is grabbing this file:

http://dvdfab.com//update_check_dvdfab.ini

What makes you think it’s doing anything else?[/QUOTE]

As I said in the 1st post, because all my other programs take about 10 seconds to do this. DFD Fab lately will just keep going until I forceably break the connection.

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2036118]As I said in the 1st post, because all my other programs take about 10 seconds to do this. DFD Fab lately will just keep going until I forceably break the connection.[/QUOTE]

But since it is checking for an update in the background (no dialog box, or popup), most people don’t even know it’s happening.

So, how do you know that’s even doing anything, and how do you know it’s taking so long?

Just my .02 cents here
If you are worried about it, just deny internet access to the program,…most programs will run fine without internet access.
90% of my programs are never granted access to the internet, helps keep programs from running in the background when not in use.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2036650]Just my .02 cents here
If you are worried about it, just deny internet access to the program,…most programs will run fine without internet access.
90% of my programs are never granted access to the internet, helps keep programs from running in the background when not in use.[/QUOTE]

That’s what I’m doing & am checking here for updates. I was hoping that Fengtao would tell us exactly what’s going on, but oh well…

he has,but not in this thread, just search and you will find. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=troy512;2036712]he has,but not in this thread, just search and you will find. :)[/QUOTE]

Troy, how about a keyword hint? Or better yet, a link? After reading your post, I tried several searches for poster fengtao in this forum with keywords that I thought might be included & got 0 hits.

Try the keywords “clean”, “false positive” or “spyware”. This has been discussed at great length. If you are that worried about it, just turn it off (or as SJ suggested, deny access to the internet, which is not a bad idea when ripping anyway).