Question on burning speeds

vbimport

Hi everyone. I just bought a Liteon 32123s and I noticed that I can only burn on the fly at 12x without the buffer under run protection coming on. By reading these forums, I now realize that the dae of my dvd drive (lg drd 6120b) is only 12x and I should be happy that I am even reaching that speed especially coming from a 4x speed burner. I am left with a question though, when I read that people are burning at 32x and 40x and the total time is only in the 2 minute area, are they timing this from on the fly or burning from an image on the hard drive? Thank you.:slight_smile:

never burn on the fly, always use an image

burning from an image will give you higher speeds

They are timed when no bufferunderrun appears.
I myself own a Plex2410A and I can burn at full speed from HD and also on-the-fly at max speed without any bufferunderruns.
A full disc is being burned in 4 minutes and a few secs then.

its true. burning from an image is much faster cause the hdd supplies the data much faster to the writer. it is always advisable to make an image of a doubtful disc (ie a scratched one) cause if the image is burnt, you are assured of a copy. that is not the case if you copy on the fly. i always do this if i make multiple copies of a disc. it also reduces the usage of the original. also while copying on the fly, at high speeds, i notice that the cd rom cannot supply the data fast enough. the buffer underrun technology comes into play here. the laser stops and waits for the buffers to fill. now i dont mean to be paranoid but somehow i dont like it if the laser stops for even 1 time. it makes me feel as if this is not a good copy or that its gonna konk off soon.

speaking of this, just how long can the laser beam wait for the data. is there a set time limit the laser can wait or it can wait indefinately till the data arrives. will it affect the disc in anyway if it waits for a longer time ?? :cool:

Originally posted by vishtaspa

speaking of this, just how long can the laser beam wait for the data. is there a set time limit the laser can wait or it can wait indefinately till the data arrives. will it affect the disc in anyway if it waits for a longer time ?? :cool:

Nope.

The plextors burnproof (powerrec) technology waits and leaves a gap of maximal 10 or 12 microseconds i beleive.

The Nec/Philips burnproof (seamless link) technology waits and leaves a maximum gap of about 4 microseconds.

Dunno about those numbers exactly , but the seamless link is more advanced than the original plextor one. Already past midnight. if i have time tomorrow i’ll look up the numbers.

Could be that the new plextor burners have even less maximum gap.

Originally posted by Wookie
They are timed when no bufferunderrun appears.
I myself own a Plex2410A and I can burn at full speed from HD and also on-the-fly at max speed without any bufferunderruns.
A full disc is being burned in 4 minutes and a few secs then.

About the same as with the Lite-on Ltr-24102B using either nero or clonecd (roughly 20 to 30 seconds less with fireburner 2.xx simply because it writes the lead-in/out much faster than nero or clonecd but,of course, you can’t burn on-the-fly with fireburner).

aaargh !!! there are gaps when the buffer underrun technology is in use !!! is this true. is this true. This is not good… Gotta go get a glass of water …:wink: