Question: How to Clean Microsoft XP from hard drive?

vbimport

Hi members :

I have gone into control panel Add/Remove and removed all sections of windows itemised but the basic Windows remains.

Please advise simplest way to remove from Hard Drive ?

Do I have to get a hard drive cleaner ?

regards

Parpi

If you have an installation disk for Windows, just start the process and format the drive. Then stop the install.

If you don’t have a Windows install disk, use one of the utilities from the drive manufacturers to partition and format the drive. This is an old thread, but I think the links still work for all the major manufacturers: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

Formatting will remove all data from the drive.

If this is a secondary drive and you have your current operating system on another drive, you can go to My Computer, right click on the drive you want to remove the remnants from, and format that way.

Thanks Kerry56 for prompt advice.
I loaded my OEM. onto the new H.D. (with the buyer registration code) and Windows worked OK.

Got a pop up from M.S. - did I want to find any new updates and get Windows Genuine Advantage. Clicked ‘Yes’ it ran a search came back saying I may have been a victim of software counterfeiting.

Now I get annoying pop ups all the time. Since the program worked well on my old HD for 6 years I dont beleive its counterfeit.

It may be that where you enter user name / details, the guy who loaded my computer 6 years ago may not have entered my name the way I entered it the other day.

Decided to totally clean Windows off the HD. Although I have removed all apps using Add /Remove, computer still opens with basic Windows and annoying warnings which remain when I’m on or off online.

The original is removed and new H.D. is Seagate. I have read there is Seagate Tools for Windows but it does suggest it can entirely remove windows.

Fortunately I have another computer to use while I tinker with this one.

Any additional advice ?

Parpi

If you still have the same motherboard as the original installation, and your OEM copy of Windows is legit, you should be able to reinstall the operating system and not get the notices. OEM copies are tied to the hardware, specifically the motherboard. Call up the folks at Microsoft for an explanation.

If you still want to wipe the installation and start over, the Seagate tools should be sufficient for formatting the disk, or the install disk either one.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2534768]If you still have the same motherboard as the original installation, and your OEM copy of Windows is legit, you should be able to reinstall the operating system and not get the notices. OEM copies are tied to the hardware, specifically the motherboard. Call up the folks at Microsoft for an explanation.

If you still want to wipe the installation and start over, the Seagate tools should be sufficient for formatting the disk, or the install disk either one.[/QUOTE]

The "you may be the victim of software counterfeiting"
warnings are the result of your not “Activating” windows, which is to say entering the product code either installation OR later if your particular installation disc allows you to enter it later.

It is often required that they let you defer “activation” because until you’ve installed important stuff like network drivers you can’t activate… windows must “phone home” during the activation…

Though it should be noted that with some computers from larger manufacturers when using the factory “reinstallation” discs this process is either automatic or bypassed because of a prior agreement between Microsoft and the specific manufacturer.

When reinstalling the OS on a Dell in particular you will usually not be asked to “Activate” windows for 2000, XP or Most Vista versions.

I can’t recall the last time a Dell asked me for a CoA during or after
reinstallation… remember you DO have a “license” it was part of the purchase price for the original computer.

HP or Compaq will usually give you 15-30 days to "Activate"
30days on most XP versions 15days on Vista.

But in any case if you want to “cripple” a windows installation you can go to “My Computer” and open drive C, go to the root directory and delete ALL the files there then reboot the computer… windows will not come up again…

Simply deleting “NTDLR” will accomplish that…

Frankly I’d do what someone suggested above… boot from CD with a windows installation disc in the drive…

ANY windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/7 installation disc

and use the installer to format the disc and when it finishes it’ll ask you which partition you want the OS installed on… at that point pull the power cable. (abrubt powerdown doesn’t hurt a thing while out of windows)

When installing an operating system on a used drive ALWAYS take the option to format the drive or partition where you are installing windows… (or whatever Operating system strikes your fancy…)

Without formatting before installation (even a “quick” format) Windows will NOT delete the old operating system files, directories and applications from the drive, but they will no longer work and they will make defragmenting the drive nearly impossible…

Not to mention that the “dead” OS being on the drive makes running the system like trying to run a marathon with your DEAD conjoined twin still attached to your body.

You may finish the marathon, but you ain’t gonna win.

If you are an IT guy with a nasty streak and someone has recently annoyed you…

AD