Question for the pro's

hi , firstly ive over clocked my 40/12/48s to a 48/12/48 w and hav never been able to burn fully at 48x even with burn proof off etc , ive flashed it with all the version firmwares and still no joy , what happens is it gets to about 46% at 35x and then drops dwn to 24x and stays there till the disk is done ?

so i went out and bought a 48x and treid it using the same software , image , disk , and ide cable etc and guess what it burns all the way to 48x so why is the over clocked one getting to 35x and 46% complete of 77 min disks and slowing dwn as ive proved the disks etc work to 48x ?

thanks

You can’t switch burn proof off for these drives.

Do you have the same firmware on both drives?

hi , clone and nero has options to turn burnproof off ? and besides that even with it checked it drops to 24x on the over clocked and burns to 48 on the proper (real 48x) and yes both hav same firmware ?

and it drops dwn to 24x using nero and clone ?

ive read on here of others having the same prob but havnt seen an answer , and was wondering as i hav the reg hack on the nero pro so it reads the exact speed its burning at , is if people just assume that there over clocked drive burns at 48x cos nero etc says 48x , ive treid the nero speed tool and it goes up to 48x but when it comes to bloody burning at 48 it drops dwn to 24x , at first peeps said it was the disks i was using but now i got a proper 48x i no it isnt and as ive just swap the drives around i no its got to be the drive and nothing else , if i flash it back to 40x it doesnt drop in speed and works all the way up to 40 ? its not a prob but just buging me why it does it ??

thanks

Nero surely has no option to turn burnproof off for this writer. You can deactive smartburn, but the buffer underrun protection stays always on.

I’ve made the experience that after a buffer underrun, the drive sometimes resumes writing in CLV mode, rather than CAV. If this happenes with different media: Does your DMA mode work properly?

Yes ure right my mistake just had a look at nero and it is smart burn u can turn off , not sure what u mean by "does ure dma work properly ? " how do u find out ? i no its enabled , im running XP on an athlon xp 1800 with 512 meg of ram , but my question is what dif does it make as i take the one drive out and replace it with the over clocked one , so im using exactly all same ide leads etc and programs and disks and firmware but it still stops at 46% and then drops dwn to 24x , i agree with u that its seems as if the buffer under run comes on as it pauses then resumes at 24x but why as the 48x geniune drive doesnt ? and if i return the over clocked one to 40x it doesnt pause etc it burns all the way to 40x , i think im going to accept that its just one of those things ?

thanks for ure replys

Which media does that occur with?

im using trax’s data’s , but if it was the media it would do it on the 48x retail burner wouldnt it ? , and if i select 40 as the burn speed it still does it ? im going to flash it back to 40x and when i get some verbs ill flash it back and see what happpens and let u no , im not to bothered that much just cant understand why its doing it unless the 48x is brand new so parts etc are smack on but saying that the 40 is only a month old , allthough i did flash it the same day i got it to 48x

TraxData…this could be crap media. My TraxData DVD-R are made by Vivastar :Z , and I won’t buy these again! And no, it does not necessarily occur on both drives. If your 40x drive is one which didn’t pass the 48x verification, then it might be more picky.

Use better media.

ok ill try better media , what do u recomend ?

thanks

Well , well , im dull , i thought of it after u mention about media and realised i had 2 disks with the new liteon 48x so i tried the cdr that comes with it and it burnt all the way to 45x then slowed dwn at 98% done , so i guess it must be the media , wierd how its ok in the 48x and not in the 40X clocked to 48x

thanks for all ure help , just goes to show though that just cos it works in one it doesnt mean it does in another

Interesting read, TIPEX2003. Thanks

Could you do some CD quality tests on those CDs? Using Nero CD Speed or WSES…etc.

TIPEX2003
I’ve had several of these drives. What you are describing is classic SmartBurn intervention when the media cannot handle the burnspeed. (overburn situation). Some drives will invoke this on a given media while others will not. Call it “sensitivity”. The outcome is usually a error-free disc, so there is some possitive here too/ My 48x drive will do this with TY media at about 46x speed, then finish the disc at 32x for the last 15 sec. Yet it will not do this with CMC crap media. It’s all about the individual laser and whatever sensor is in there to monitor such “overburning”. Turning off the smartBurn option in the drive properties does not affect this aspect of SmartBurn’s function. You should be seeing an orange(yellow) drive light for a few seconds while the speed is shifted.

me to have these problems with the speed, quality is allways perfect.

Burns as you say around 35X and then the rest at 24X or 32X. Have only seen the 32X ending on some TDK cdrs rated @ 48X

And I think most people have these problems but since nero say 48X burnt OK then they don’t see the fault …

Would really like to find these TY discs here in sweden but still no luck…

Here is one more thing… using 40X firmware the disc will burn @ 40X all the way but overclockced only to 35X and then slooooow

surfing the forum I found somthing about CDmate being able to disable smartburn on the 40X drives. But it will not disable it for the 48X

Are there realy NO way to get this smart burn funktion out of here just to se if it’s the thing causing the speed drop?

@TIPEX2003 and GreFFel :smiley:

I think I will make you happy and I was glad to see some light in the tunnel here .

The most things I burn are in the *.bin/ *.cue format :smiley: so I installed good old CdrWin 3.9b and was verry suppriced at the results

I have tried all the “greate” software out there to get my 40@48X burner do not speeddrop, the final soulution for me is to burn using CdrWin 3.9b

Hope someone will try this and find the same results…

Maybe Nero could fix there disablesmartburn so it will work as the text says…

Or maybe call a funktion in the app “force burnspeed”

Since I have not a clue to why cdrwin does not “listen” to smartburn, there is not more for me to post here.

The discs I did burn on now was really cheapo CMC blanks in 100 pack spindle and CDspeed did not find a single error on the fully burnt 48X discs

HAPPY TESTING …

Are there realy NO way to get this smart burn funktion out of here just to se if it’s the thing causing the speed drop?

Methinks you are barking up the wrong tree here.
There is nothing to be gained from shutting off SmartBurn, nor can you do so, as it is a drive function, not a software function. all you are doing is disabling the initial speed limitation which is based on the firmware database of media. As SmartBurn almost always over-rates the media’s ability to handle speed, disabling it is of dubious value.
You cannot, repeat CANNOT, disable the SmartBurn functions that cause a slowdown of a burn in progress due to “overburning” of the media, this is an internal function of the drive itself.
None of this is news, there are some burning apps that allow you to disable the initial speed limitation, and some that just ignore it.

surfing the forum I found somthing about CDmate being able to disable smartburn on the 40X drives. But it will not disable it for the 48X

This is misinformation.
You need to understand the difference between the initial limitation of speed for a media that SmartBurn imposes, and the slowing of a burn in progress that SmartBurn can invoke. These are 2 separate funcions.

I think CDRwin disabels the smartburn…(or can not use it)

It will be fun to see if this will work for other people to… I think it’s strange noone posted this before.

You cannot, repeat CANNOT, disable the SmartBurn functions that cause a slowdown of a burn in progress due to “overburning” of the media, this is an internal function of the drive itself.
You need to understand the difference between the initial limitation of speed for a media that SmartBurn imposes, and the slowing of a burn in progress that SmartBurn can invoke. These are 2 separate funcions, one can be disabled, the other cannot.

jepp I understand… but we are not talking about that…

For some reason CdrWin will not slowdown the burn and that’s the new finding for me…

And it would be quite easy to disable the smartburn if you work at liteon and are the bios engeneer … so stop shouting …please