Question for the A/V Junkies

vbimport

Okay, here is the situation, I got a Denon DVR-687 for free from my nephew who used to work as an installer at a high end Home Theater Shop. I went out and bought a used surround set of speakers (Polk Audio RM-6750) in order to keep my costs down. Forgive my ignorance but it has been years since I have messed with traditional sound equipment (Got rid of my component system years ago due to size/bulk and frequent moves). To test it out I hooked up the speakers via the traditional speaker wire inputs and then ran a simple RCA cable from the output on the TV to a couple of different inputs on my receiver. Despite playing around with input selection and modes I couldn’t get any sound out of the speakers. I also tried the tuner, but I don’t have any kind of antenna hooked up to it, but couldn’t get any sound coming through it either. That said, you could definitely hear the standard dead air background sound coming through the speakers. I tracked down the manual online and read the hookup instructions and what it recommended was that I run the cables from the Video Player to the receiver and then run them from the receiver to the TV RCA input. I was simply running from the output on my TV to the receiver itself. My ultimate goal is to hook the setup up to my Sony Blu-Ray player and a projector. I checked the back of my Sony BDP-5200 Blu-Ray Player and it does have the orange digital output and my receiver does have 2 of these inputs. Is this the route I need to go? Or are there other things I need to do.

Any help in this matter would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Heres a manual for a Denon AVR-687 ,
I’m going to assume this is correct instead of DVR.

In the manual there is an image (not a detailed as I would like but maybe suitable).
Look at the Connecting a TV/DBS tuner actual page 14 but Adobe shows as page17.
I wouldn’t worry about an optical connection right now. You TV may not have an optical output anyway. If it does try it after you get the 2 channel working.

I’m going to use the actual page numbers .
Page 4 shows a headphone jack on the front of the reciever,
I suggest starting with that & headphones.
If the analog audio “A” from the TV to the Audio in (looks like the 4th pair down)
has sound to a set of headphones . you know that connecting the speakers should also get you some sound.

Once you are sure your getting sound to the heaphone.
Connect the optical output from the Sony BDP-5200 Blu-Ray PlayerBlu-Ray Player to the optical in on the Denon AVR-687.
Page 8 shows which speaker outputs go to the correct speaker.
Wired per that diagram should work.
There was also some information on "Auto Set Up.
You might need to run that once you get it wired .

Looks like the Sony BDP-5200 Blu-Ray Player would use HDMI out to the TV . You shouldn’t need to run analog audio from the TV at this point.

[QUOTE=cholla;2755460]Heres a manual for a Denon AVR-687 ,
I’m going to assume this is correct instead of DVR.

In the manual there is an image (not a detailed as I would like but maybe suitable).
Look at the Connecting a TV/DBS tuner actual page 14 but Adobe shows as page17.
I wouldn’t worry about an optical connection right now. You TV may not have an optical output anyway. If it does try it after you get the 2 channel working.

I’m going to use the actual page numbers .
Page 4 shows a headphone jack on the front of the reciever,
I suggest starting with that & headphones.
If the analog audio “A” from the TV to the Audio in (looks like the 4th pair down)
has sound to a set of headphones . you know that connecting the speakers should also get you some sound.

Once you are sure your getting sound to the heaphone.
Connect the optical output from the Sony BDP-5200 Blu-Ray PlayerBlu-Ray Player to the optical in on the Denon AVR-687.
Page 8 shows which speaker outputs go to the correct speaker.
Wired per that diagram should work.
There was also some information on "Auto Set Up.
You might need to run that once you get it wired .

Looks like the Sony BDP-5200 Blu-Ray Player would use HDMI out to the TV . You shouldn’t need to run analog audio from the TV at this point.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. After a lot of playing around, I finally got everything working last night (although I think I need to see if I can do some additional tweaking to the subwoofer controls as it sounds pretty mild for an 8 inch sub.) Unfortunately the receiver doesn’t have HDMI, but fortunately it does have Digital Coax and so does the blu-ray player.

I assume you went Digital Coax out of the Sony BDPS5200 Blu-Ray Player to the Denon AVR-687 Digital Coax in . For the Audio.
Then using the Denon AVR-687 speaker out jacks to the correct speakers as the diagram in the manual showed . That should have given you the correct Audio. setup.

For the video the Sony BDPS5200 Blu-Ray Player appears to use an Ethernet in from the rear or a USB in from the front. Then HDMI to the TV.

Just to ask the Sony BDPS5200 Blu-Ray Player & the Denon AVR-687 are the correct model numbers ?
Instead of what you posted .

Sorry it took so long, but yes those are the correct models. I got it all sorted out and it is all set up in my living room, but the subwoofer was cutting in and out (sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t). Given the fact that it was a cheap muddy sub at best I got rid of it and I ordered a Dayton Audio SUB-1200 (highly recommended budget sub by every site including the folks over at AVS Forums). It should be here on Monday and I will let you folks known how it all turns out. As always thanks for your help.

Let me know if the new subwoofer is the fix.
Maybe even draw us a diagram.

Were my instructions somewhere close to correct ?

The new sub does a good job for the money, but at some point I might go with duals if they go on sale again (some people have gotten them for as little as $99 shipped). It is definitely deeper and more accurate than that 8 inch polk that came with the set that included my rear and center channel speakers. Tested it with Independence Day yesterday and it rocked the house even when the receiver was at -25dB. BTW it does still cut in and out periodically, but I think it’s actually the 15 foot monoprice cable that I have (unless the subwoofer pre-out on the amp is having issues) because when I adjust the cable near the pre-out on the amp or near the sub it generally kicks in. I have a 25 footer that is waiting for a projector install that I might try out just to see if it makes a difference.

Okay, figured out the intermittent issue. Discovered one of the ends of the 15 foot coax cable I was using was pinched/crushed and after playing with it a bit, I concluded it simply needs to be replaced. I hooked it up to a good 25 foot coax cable and it works perfectly. I will replace it with a 10 foot cable since the 15 foot and 25 foot are way too long for what I need (and likely part of the problem since cables that are too long have a tendency to get bent in order to get them out of the way). Glad to see it wasn’t the amp or the sub.