Question for non playing dvd

vbimport

I downloaded DVD Fab and it worked perfectly the first time. The only problem is the dvds wont play in my older dvd player, but it plays in my newer dvd player… is there any way to fix this?
Thanks

Bchord3313

What type of media are you using - or + R’s older DVD players are very picky about what type media they will play and sometimes the brand also if you are using + R’s are you booktyping them to DVD-ROM’s and most older players will only play -R’s

Im using DVD+R.
How will I know how or what movies will play on the +'s?
The people at the store told me that +s will play in the older dvd players… blah!

My old dvd player is a Toshiba… how can I tell if it will play - without having to go spend another $50 for dvd’s?

[QUOTE=Bchord3313;2014141]My old dvd player is a Toshiba… how can I tell if it will play - without having to go spend another $50 for dvd’s?[/QUOTE]

You should be able to look on the back or bottom it may show what video format and media type it play, I was going to do a google search to find out for you but you only stated “Toshiba” but not the model type :doh:

Its an SD-1200. I have looked all over it and cannot find anything that says - or +. Im sorry if I seem stupid to all of this, it is the first time I have learned how to burn movies.
So if my old DVD player takes - and my new one plays +… is there an inbetween that I can use so I dont have to buy both and burn to both? This is so frustrating!

[QUOTE=Bchord3313;2014180]Its an SD-1200. I have looked all over it and cannot find anything that says - or +. Im sorry if I seem stupid to all of this, it is the first time I have learned how to burn movies.
So if my old DVD player takes - and my new one plays +… is there an inbetween that I can use so I dont have to buy both and burn to both? This is so frustrating![/QUOTE]

It is not a cheap unit,… and from what ) have just been reading it is not one I would buy.
Anyway take a look at the link below,
http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/HardwareReviews/Toshiba1200/Toshiba1200.asp

I noted that the documentation on the link states that it will not play CD-R’s, so that wouold indicate to me that the chances of it playing DVD-R’s or DVD+R’s would be slim…

Rather than spending 50 bux on DVD’s, I would most probably replace this with a cheap unit that will play everything.

Stormjumper - I dont understand what that means… since it isnt cheap, shouldnt I be able to watch damn near anything on it?

GregiBoy- Its looking like this is going to be my best bet… unfortunantly.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Bchord3313

[QUOTE=Bchord3313;2014261]Stormjumper - I dont understand what that means… since it isnt cheap, shouldnt I be able to watch damn near anything on it? [/QUOTE]

Sorry to say this but just because it cost more does not always mean it is better,…You can get a $50 unit and have better Quality.
Most of the time you are not paying for the Quality of the product…BUT…the name on the product :frowning: .
I was going to post a link on some reveiws that I was reading,…but I want to be a friend and not a jerk.
I wjll keep trying to work on your issue and see what I can come up with to fix your problem though.

Yeah, I agree with SJ and GregiBoy.
Expensive in this case does not mean better. Actually, I’ve found the opposite to be true…at least more often than not.
My son has an Apex player bought at least 4-5 years ago from Wallyworld and it was dirt cheap. I was even able to flash it to macrovision and region-free.
It’ll play darn near anything and still going strong after 4 years of college use and abuse…go figure…:wink:

Oh I didnt pay for it… the x left it here when he moved out. It was just the only one I had to put in the living room… the dvds were expensive for me but hey, no sweat off my back lol. I know nothing about brand names… they dont mean anything to me! Im a frugal person, hence the reason Im not mad about wasting money on a dvd player lol. However, I do have a cheapy on down in the basement somewhere, will have to see if I can find it…

[QUOTE=Bchord3313;2014373]Oh I didnt pay for it… the x left it here when he moved out. It was just the only one I had to put in the living room… the dvds were expensive for me but hey, no sweat off my back lol. I know nothing about brand names… they dont mean anything to me! Im a frugal person, hence the reason Im not mad about wasting money on a dvd player lol. However, I do have a cheapy on down in the basement somewhere, will have to see if I can find it…[/QUOTE]

Nice to hear you spent no cash on the,…yes that old DVD player in the basement may work good,…just make sure to get all the dust off before using it and maybe even use a DVD lens cleaner before using it

you might be able to get by with out spending any extra money.

one question, what make/model dvd burner you are using?

some players simply refuse to read a disc which is not identified as DVD-ROM. using dvd+r disc the lead-in can have a bitset with a zero value. this is called “Book Type”. if your dvd drive supports bitsetting dvd+r as dvd-rom you could possible use your current dvd media and dvd players.

read more here
http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Increased-compatibility-DVD-bitsetting

edit//

the reports from videohelp indicate that dvd+r booktyped as dvd-rom will play in this player.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers/toshiba-sd1200/473

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2014118]What type of media are you using - or + R’s older DVD players are very picky about what type media they will play and sometimes the brand also if you are using + R’s are you booktyping them to DVD-ROM’s and most older players will only play -R’s[/QUOTE]

forgot to add your quote Jimbo. nice call.

hope this helps. :slight_smile:

I would have to agree with the fact that cheap DVD players accept almost anything thrown into them than the expensive DVD players. I have a cheap RCA DVD player and a Harmon Kardon DVD player. Both work good but the RCA plays everything I put into it. Go figure, you would think that the more expensive players would be able to play everything when in fact they don’t. If everyone knew this than no one would buy the expensive DVD players. Well that’s it from me.

Awesome, I will read up on that stuff this weekend.
I have a dvd burner in my laptop and use dvdfab… is that the information you were asking for?

Does anyone know step by step how I would take shows from my DVR and put them on a dvd? My DVR has a usb port in the back. This was something the x was suppose to do… but well lets just say he didnt have time when I packed his stuff up =)

Please post a couple of items from the burn log, which can be found at C:\Documents and Settings…username…\My Documents\DVDFab\Log\ This is a text file that you can open with Notepad and copy and paste a few recent entries into a reply post.

from the log we can see exactly what dvd burner you are using and some other helpful information.

thanks

troy

[QUOTE=Bchord3313;2014661]I have a dvd burner in my laptop and use dvdfab… is that the information you were asking for?
[/QUOTE]
If you could post a few burn logs as Troy suggested above ^, this’ll be a big help to us.
Again,
the default location is:
[B]C:\Documents and Settings[I]Administrator Name[/I]\My Documents\DVDFab\Log[/B]

[QUOTE=Bchord3313;2014661]
Does anyone know step by step how I would take shows from my DVR and put them on a dvd? My DVR has a usb port in the back. This was something the x was suppose to do… but well lets just say he didnt have time when I packed his stuff up =)[/QUOTE]

First off, I don’t have DVR, but from what I know about what you’re trying to accomplish, the quick and easy way is to record directly from your DVR with a standalone DVD recorder. The original recording (DVR) is digital, so this way should be easy, that is, if you don’t have to buy a standalone recorder.
You said you’re cheap…errh…I mean frugal right?..:bigsmile:

I looked into this a bit and I believe herein lies the problem…
The usb port on your DVR may not be active (probably is not active). It seems that over the past 5 years or so, many usb ports were installed, but never “activated”.
Anyway, the purpose of the usb ports is to allow connectivity to an ethernet adapter, thereby allowing access to any of the networked pcs so you could watch the movies, etc., on these other pcs.

I seriously doubt that you can connect the DVR to your pc and expect your pc simply to “see” the DVR hdd as it would an external hdd, but I’d try it anyway… nothing to lose.
If this works, it’s easy, simple and free. However, I’d keep my expectations to a minimum.

I think what you’d have to do is use a video capture device (PCI card, etc.,) in your PC and connect the DVR. I have no doubt that there are "freaks here that could walk you through this (I’m sure not one of 'em…:doh:), but this can get very technical and likely will require additional hardware, software and installation.

Bchord3313
A freeware program ImgBurn will let you set the booktype on some burners.The drive should stay set that way until you change it.
The firmware on your DVD burner has to allow booktype setting.
If you burner doesn’t then:
You may be able to get a firmware update & flash the firmware on your burner.There’s always a risk when you flash the firmware so don’t do it unless necessary.Even then unless you have the exact update or one that is known to work on your burner you could end up with a paperweight.So do so at your own risk.
Changing the bookmark with ImgBurn is safe & you can only do it on +R or +RW media.