Question: Best Blu-Ray Reader & Writer?

[QUOTE=zebadee;2481885]Hi :slight_smile:
I have re-read nekrosoft13’s post & realise that I took GB to mean the UK.
Not GB as in Gigabyte.
Though I would still say that for most who want just movie only.
Plus have 1 movie per disc.
My original perception of the post.
DL (in relation to BD movies) is much cheaper the BD.
SL media is asking a bit much IMHO.
If you really want to build up a movie library with many movies per disc.
Then HDD’s are the only option, as I see it.[/QUOTE]

The only problem with that is that HDDs usually have an extremely short useful life compared to the worst optical media. Their mechanics tend to wear out relatively quickly–and once their motor dies out, goodbye HDD. But then again, optical disc readers and writers die out just as quickly as HDDs, if not sooner.

Going back to my original response, my view still stands with regards to HDTV-class video bitrates and red-laser DVD (SL or DL): The bitrates need to be kept artificially low on DVD media in order to avoid skipping and/or stuttering on a standalone video player. And very low bitrates for HD content look awful in MPEG-2 but not so bad in AVC. Plus, here in the US over-the-air and cable broadcasts are delivered in fairly low-bitrate MPEG-2–but since BD-9 or BD-5 (DVD which has been formatted with UDF 2.5 instead of UDF 1.02) does not officially support MPEG-2 HD at total peak bitrates above 10 Mbps, one would have to transcode MPEG-2 to AVC before burning onto disc.

Some DVD burners do not support UDF 2.5 at all. If you have such a DVD burner, then you’ll either have to purchase a Blu-Ray burner or a new DVD burner which can create UDF 2.5-formatted DVDs just to even burn HD content onto DVD, or you’ll have to downconvert HD content to Standard-Definition (SDTV) before burning onto disc.

And judging by the average discounted prices for Verbatim-branded media at most of the computer-specific stores I visited recently, I still stand by the fact that here in the USA these days DL DVD now costs as much as or more money than SL BD on a per-gigabyte basis. SL DVD remains much cheaper than either. Although I can see how you think DL DVD is less expensive than BD on an absolute basis: The typical person who burns movie discs leaves a lot (several gigabytes worth) of empty, dead, no-longer-recordable space on the average disc (unlike myself, who always tries to maximise the use of the disc’s full capacity).

What is the best Blueray reader so far for reads(rips)/DVD43+handbrake?

You guys do realize that neither DVD43 nor Handbrake can decrypt and rip commercially made Blu ray disks don’t you?

Rephrasing:

In your opinion… What is/are the best Blueray reader(s) for reads/rips?

TIA … :cool:

[QUOTE=INXSible;2482187]Ditto.

Anyone … :confused:[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
I recently got a Lite-On BD/DVD ROM iHOS104.
But it is only 4X.
Being a ROM drive there appears to be little that can be done with this.
So while it is not a bad reader/ripper for the money (had a good s/w pack with mine).
It is slow.
But cost leaps if you go with the latest Pioneer/LG BD/DVDRWs.

Much obliged, zebadee.

[QUOTE=INXSible;2482478]Rephrasing:

In your opinion… What is/are the best Blueray reader(s) for reads/rips?

TIA … :cool:[/QUOTE]

depends what you want excactly

for fastest rips then the new 10x LG rom with modded firmware for remove riplock

if you want to scan your burned bds then lite-on ihes108 or 208

[QUOTE=nekrosoft13;2482819]depends what you want excactly

for fastest rips then the new 10x LG rom with modded firmware for remove riplock

if you want to scan your burned bds then lite-on ihes108 or 208[/QUOTE]

1. So that is the LG BH10LS30 ?
    As opposed to the Pioneer 205BK

2. Where is the link to the “modded firmware” found?