Question: Best Blu-Ray Reader & Writer?

I am ready to ditch both my DVD Writer & DVD Burner
which I selected a few years back from advice I got here.

& now install 2 separate units (so I can start to archive my B-R discs)

1. a B-R Reader & (the best reader)

2. a B-R burner (the best burner)

What ones would be my best bet?

If there is the best model (for reader) that is also the best burner,
then I will get 2 of those.

NOTEL CPU power is not an issue I have an i7 running at 3.6GHz

Tx once again in advance.

First download the BD Advisor to see if your computer can handle Blu-ray from the link under (tests monitor and graphics etc etc)
Then repost letting us know what you got

http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/bd-support/enu/index.jsp

Tx for the reply madmax :smiley:

The app can not read most of my system
I know it can handle pretty well anything

System
Tx for the reply madmax

The app can read most of my system
I know it can hadle pretty well anything

System
CPU - Intel i7 920 (at 3.6Ghz) Cooled with EK water block

MB - ASUS P6T-DX-V2 cooled with EK Mosfet & NB/SB water blocks
<O:p
RAM – HyperX PC3-11000 Low-Latency - 3.0GB Tri-Channel Kit (KHX11000D3LLK3/3GX)

QUADFIRE GPU - Sapphire Radeon 4870x2 (2 of them)
Cooled with 2 EK- 4870X2-Acetal full waterblocks
PSU - Thermaltake 1200W W1033 Cable Management
CASE – TT Amour+ with side fan &
3 Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm fans (2 in bottom)
& (1 in rear of case)
COOLING SYSTEM (vented to the outdoors)<O:p
Dual tri-rad loops (1 for MB & 1 for twin GPU cards)
Feser One coolant <O:p

Anyone??

I don’t really see a need for two, but the Pioneer 205 is the best BD writer out these days: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129051

What is the best Blueray reader so far for reads(rips)/DVD43+handbrake?

I dont have broadband, so the BDadvisor app is not good.

I have:
Inspiron530 w/750W supply
WinXPSP3
Bravia1080p 46"
still running VGA cable, but picture is sharp at 1920x1080.

Also any other advice outstanding would be appreciated.

I do not see a need for a bluray writer right now.
I wont be writing until media price comes down which might be for years.
A new writer will be out by then.

[QUOTE=njlaposky;2479113]I do not see a need for a bluray writer right now.
I wont be writing until media price comes down which might be for years.
A new writer will be out by then.[/QUOTE]

blu-ray media is not really that expensive if you compare it to verbatim dvd+r dl, cost for GB is very close

Your monitor needs to be HDPC also Dougofthenorth
As for blu-ray writer get a pioneer 205 as Kerry56 says

Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond. :bow:

It will then be the Pioneer BDR-205-BK :clap:

I might try it with only 1 unit first - then see…

The only reason I wanted 2 drives, was to be able to just click “start” (the copy) & walk away until the disc has been burned -without having to come back & eject the 1st disc & then
go back upstairs to put in the burnable media disc for the copy to complete. :rolleyes:

Happy New Year !!

[QUOTE=nekrosoft13;2479182]blu-ray media is not really that expensive if you compare it to verbatim dvd+r dl, cost for GB is very close[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
Just like to know where you get your media.
I recently paid just under £1 per disc (in fact £0.80 per disc) for Verbatim DVD+R DL.
The cheapest BD media worked out @ just under £5 [£4.86 per disc] (Verbatim).
So more 5x the cost.
Is that close?
Let alone very close!

[QUOTE=nekrosoft13;2479182]blu-ray media is not really that expensive if you compare it to verbatim dvd+r dl, cost for GB is very close[/QUOTE]

Is this source top secret then? :eek:
As I still see no reply to my above post. :rolleyes:

Verbatim DL doesn’t often dip below $1 a disk for us in the states, and $1.40 per disk seems to be the common price when not on sale.
It is possible to find BD media on ebay for less than $2 a disk, though many of those are Ritek disks which we are currently boycotting around here due to loss of data over time.

The Verbatim 25gb BD-R disks at Newegg are $2.89 per disk including shipping.

So, working from regular prices, the 25gb BD-R disks are roughly twice as expensive for three times the storage space.

[QUOTE=zebadee;2481177]Hi :slight_smile:
Just like to know where you get your media.
I recently paid just under £1 per disc (in fact £0.80 per disc) for Verbatim DVD+R DL.
The cheapest BD media worked out @ just under £5 [£4.86 per disc] (Verbatim).
So more 5x the cost.
Is that close?
Let alone very close![/QUOTE]

It’s actually much closer than that. DL DVD holds only about one-third as much as a 25GB SL BD. In fact, for my use DL DVD actually costs nearly as much money as BD on a per-minute basis because I record 40- to 45-minute (the so-called “1-hour”, with commercials edited out) HDTV shows off the air. At my average video bitrate of 18 Mbps to conform to AVCHD specs for red-laser DVD, I still leave well over 1 GB of empty unusable space on a DL DVD (and this after authoring just one “hour-long” TV show onto that DL DVD). At that same video bitrate, I can fit four (or maybe five) such shows onto a single 25GB BD. Plus, a 25GB BD allows me to record three TV shows of similar length at an average video bitrate of 25 Mbps–a bitrate that’s too high for red-laser DVD to handle.

Single-layer DVD tends to be least expensive on a per-GB basis–but I would have had to lower my video bitrate to 13 to 14 Mbps and substantially “simplify” any menus (this means “text-only” menus with no radio buttons, video buttons or options) in order to fit the entire “1-hour” TV show onto single-layer DVD. The lower bitrates do produce “inferior” image quality which might not be noticeable on smaller HDTV screens.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2481370]So, working from regular prices, the 25gb BD-R disks are roughly twice as expensive for three times the storage space.[/QUOTE]

This is not quite true in my area (here in Chicagoland). The regular prices for Verbatim-branded DVD+R DL media is still a whopping $2 per disc at all of the local stores in my area (even in 20-pack spindles). But then again, those same stores also charge too much money for their BD media.

The only computer-specific chain store which I have access to is Mo C*r, which charges $1.40 per DVD+R DL disc and $4.00 per BD disc (both prices are based on short spindle packs) or $4.33 per jewel-boxed BD. If I were to purchase media at that chain, then my choice there is definitely a no-brainer: BD.

Please note that all of the prices in this post are for the Verbatim brand of media

I was going by Newegg.com prices RJL65. Right now Verbatim 20 packs of their DL dvds sell for $25.99 with free shipping. That works out to $1.30 a disk, so a little cheaper than what I said before.

And their 10 packs of Verbatim BD-R are $28.99 with free shipping for those too.

So that’s still roughly twice the cost (more like 2.23x), but three times the storage space, so the Blu ray media is still ahead on cost per GB.

Either I am missing nekrosoft13’s point.
(Could be he is seeing it different to my take on thread content.)
Or both of you are ( RJL65/Kerry56).
If responding to the OP ( & following thread).
It was suggested as a result of the OP’s question that.
BD writers weren’t worth going for yet.
(Thus implying.) As the cost per backup (my experience) would be under £1 compared to just below £5.
At least this was my take on it.
If you accept that then, the cost being very close.
Well, it just isn’t.
[U]So in this context[/U].
I wanted to know where discs prices ( & not the cost per GB ) was so “very close”. :cool:

It is a bit like the SSD vs HDD debate.
With that it’s, whether the cost for speed outweighs the cost of actual storage made available.

Here a case of whether the compression is that great when compared to 1:1 backups. Justifies the cost.

[QUOTE=zebadee;2481531]Hi :slight_smile:
Either I am missing nekrosoft13’s point.
(Could be he is seeing it different to my take on thread content.)
Or both of you are ( RJL65/Kerry56).
If responding to the OP ( & following thread).
It was suggested as a result of the OP’s question that.
BD writers weren’t worth going for yet.
(Thus implying.) As the cost per backup (my experience) would be under £1 compared to just below £5.
At least this was my take on it.
If you accept that then, the cost being very close.
Well, it just isn’t.
[U]So in this context[/U].
I wanted to know where discs prices ( & not the cost per GB ) was so “very close”. :cool:

It is a bit like the SSD vs HDD debate.
With that it’s, whether the cost for speed outweighs the cost of actual storage made available.

Here a case of whether the compression is that great when compared to 1:1 backups. Justifies the cost.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you were the one who’s missing the point if you have more than a few GB to back up. And to the user who has 4GB or less worth of data to back up, smaller-capacity media is a better value than DL DVD. After all, any large-capacity write-once optical media, whether DL DVD or BD, is a poor value if your backups consistently take up much less than the full capacity of the disc.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2481740]Actually, you were the one who’s missing the point if you have more than a few GB to back up. And to the user who has 4GB or less worth of data to back up, smaller-capacity media is a better value than DL DVD. After all, any large-capacity write-once optical media, whether DL DVD or BD, is a poor value if your backups consistently take up much less than the full capacity of the disc.[/QUOTE]

I have re-read nekrosoft13’s post & realise that I took GB to mean the UK.
Not GB as in Gigabyte.
Though I would still say that for most who want just movie only.
Plus have 1 movie per disc.
My original perception of the post.
DL (in relation to BD movies) is much cheaper the BD.
SL media is asking a bit much IMHO.
If you really want to build up a movie library with many movies per disc.
Then HDD’s are the only option, as I see it.

[QUOTE=njlaposky;2479112]What is the best Blueray reader so far for reads(rips)/DVD43+handbrake? [/QUOTE]

Ditto.

Anyone … :confused: